“Great Hike, Beautiful Views!”
Review of Barn Bluff

Barn Bluff
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Red Wing
More attraction details
Owner description: A 350-foot cliff that was so named because of its resemblance to a barn.
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We had a great time hiking up this bluff! They have a few trails you can take to get to the top, and a little informational post at the beginning telling you which trails are easiest/hardest, to help you decide which one to take. My husband and I took the North Trail on the way up, which is considered the hard/advanced trail. While there were some slippery spots and narrow areas, if you're an adult with any hiking experience, you can probably handle it (not sure I'd take the same trail on the way down though - that would definitely be for the more advanced!). If you like nature and hiking through forestry, it's a beautiful hike. The North Trail also winds past some lime quarries, which are really neat to wander around. The North Trail is on the river side, so it's a gorgeous site to see the Mississippi in spots where the trees aren't too thick. Once you get to the top, there's a large grassy area with a great view of Red Wing and the river. On the way down, we took the South Trail, which was easier but still fun. Highly recommended!

Date of experience: May 2011
"trail map"
"dirt road"
"great family"

Reviewed April 26, 2011

This is my favorite place in Red Wing. Plan to spend 1-2 hours to hike to the top and back. Bring a camera and a bottle of water. It's an easy hike for me and my kids although they need a few breaks on the climb up.

Date of experience: April 2011
2  Thank Katielynnh
Reviewed June 8, 2009

I happened to be leisurely driving through Red Wing when I was captivated by the huge bluff just east of the historic downtown. I saw the trail at the top and had to get there. It is a bit tricky for an out-of-towner to get to the bluff parking area. Any local can help you out. Take 5th St. under Highway 61. There is a little parking area and an info sign for the bluff. There are a couple different trail options. I have taken the harder one twice. Toward the top of the bluff you have to do some actual rock climbing, but nothing too bad. At the top of the bluff there are trails connecting the east view to the north/west view of downtown. It is breathtaking. It is so peaceful at the top. Not usually very many people up there. If you are through Red Wing, be sure and make this a stop.

3  Thank packhawk
Reviewed May 7, 2009

I'm a middle-aged out-of-shape mom, just getting to the top required several stops to gasp for air. But I made it! Don't avoid it because you're intimidated, I climbed this in sneakers, without a Sherpa. Teenagers can probably run to the top. The view from the top is so-o-o-o worth the effort. There are two overlooks - the western end looks over downtown Red Wing and the eastern end looks at the river. (Note: the river is nearly east-west at this point, so directions seem wrong to out-of-towners.)

Make sure you check out both! On the way, look up and you may spot eagles - look down and see wildflowers. It's a beautiful, if somewhat strenuous, walk. Parking and access to the bluff are free.

7  Thank Cathy-the-Spherical
See more reviews
Reviewed November 2, 2007

Middle age had set in on my body and the added pounds were starting to take hold. I get bored easily and just walking around on a path I knew would get old so I thought I would finally try hiking Barn Bluff. Even though I have lived in Red Wing all my life I have never hiked to the top. WOW ! Now I know what all the hype is about. It was a beautiful fall day with the temp in the mid-50 degrees. During the climb to the top I came upon squirrels and other small creatures preparing for winter. I saw 2 guys and their dog getting ready to rock climb (I think the dog was just going to watch). I watched as a barge headed south under the bridge crossing the Mississippi River and marveled from above, the town I call home go through its normal everyday paces. I could have stayed up there all day. Beautiful, peaceful, a great place to just slow down your life for awhile and be thankful for what we have been blessed with. *Be sure to read about the path routes at the bottom before you start climbing (there are different hiking levels). I didn't notice the signs until I got back down and took the North path (the hardest) on the way up which was a challenge at times. It had me puffing some but it was well worth it. Getting back in shape will be alot easier and fun now that I have found this place.

9  Thank johnhenry7