Best Western Plus Spirit Mountain Duluth
$120
Priceline
$83
Priceline
All reviewsspirit mountainking suitecookiescanal parknice hotelwafflessausagewould stay here againhot breakfasteasy accessnorth shoremake your ownstaff was friendlygas stationhotel is locatedpool and hot tubroom was large
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Physically this Country Inn was about the same as all the others. It was clean, had a decent selection for breakfast (even though there were many young and hungry football players in attendance), and most importantly a never-ending supply of cookies. The front desk staff made the difference in putting this stay ahead of others in the chain. We had had had some trouble getting two Club Carlson accounts merged and had tried three or four times to get it straightened out. The lady at the front desk made it her project and she not only got it corrected, she later sent us an email confirming it. Many Thanks!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back as the building faces a busy street. The busy four lane street can make it difficult to get in and out of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed here over the Independence Day celebration. The staff is kind and we had a good experience at check-in. The breakfast is average, better than many but just your standard American fare. We ended up getting a whirlpool room on the third floor, just off the elevator and near the ice machine. The walls are so thin, I looked twice to see if the ice machine and elevator had migrated into our room as they and the people using them were "loud & clear." The Interstate is also a stone's throw away. This place works fine if you get up early and check out but if you are looking for a restful place, this isn't it.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator and ice machines, that's for sure!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Clean room. Breakfast was available. Half parking lot closed for paving, when asked where to park guy behind the desks laughs in my wife's face and say's "yeah the front isn't available" and tells us to park behind the super sketchy looking gas station next door. Then we get woken up by the paving crew around 8 am peering into my window. If you're considering this place to stay in I'd recommend you take your hard earned cash elsewhere. I was more satisfied with the 80 dollar Super 8 we stayed in the previous night on our cross country trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Scott s
CISDuluth, General Manager at Best Western Plus Spirit Mountain Duluth, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for you comments concerning your stay.
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. The service you received at our front desk I can assure you was an exception to our Hotel’s normally high quality of service. To discuss your concern further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for Barb Allen our Front Office Manager.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We needed to stay because of a sudden death in the family, which so happens to be during Grandma's Marathon. With that came very few rooms available in the Duluth area and with that at a hotel rate of over $250 for one night in a standard room. I get that until...
When making the with the property directly and requesting a possible early check in, all I got was "our policy was check in at 3". Given we needed the room more then the turn off with that.
After being awake for over 36 hours we slept. Now I did get up at 9 am and headed to the breakfast bar where I was met with a nasty toned "shoes or socks" and that was it. I went back to our room to conform to policy, and then spoke to the staffer and I'm paraphrasing. "As a guest here who just woke up, don't you think Im entitled to at least a please or thank you when informing me that I was out of compliance when I first entered".
To the staffers credit she said I was right and apologized, and accepted.
When I got back from breakfast our housekeeper Andy asked when he could get to service our room. I said told him he could expect us to leave for the day around 12:30-1pm. Something I have done in too many hotels to count, and Carlson properties to boot without incident. Not today, we get a card under our door as we are getting ready to leave for the day that says we would not be getting our room cleaned because we had our do not disturb sign in until the aforementioned 12:30pm. Question why didn't Andy say something when we chatted about this in the hallway?
I did go to the front desk, and was told that ALL of the housekeeping department was done for the day. Something about Grandmas Marathon and many rooms vacated at 4am. The front desk person said she would look into getting someone to change out our towels and empty our garbage. Only to find at 9pm that evening even that wasn't done!
So I mark this as poor, regardless of the rate, guests don't all fit into one scheme. To not have a housekeeper be available after 1pm especially when they were told ahead of time is frankly very poor service indeed. So beware, and it seems management is somewhat responsive to this site, so this my preemptive comment to them...
My assessment if I was a performance coaching here is that everyone here is to "stuck to policy". Inn keeping is hospitality and every guest is going to have unique needs. This wasn't Andy's fault or the breakfast bar person fault, it is top management fault. My suggestion start this policy and the rest will probably work itself out. All employees start every interaction with a Guest with, "Good Morning, Afternoon, or Evening". If a guest requests something an employee is not able to fulfill instead of, "it's not our policy".
A simple "Let me check into that for you", and bring that need to the next level person's attention.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our team. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. The service you received was an exception to our Hotel’s normally high quality of service. Your review will be shared with the entire team here at the Country Inn & Suites Duluth South. It will be used to help ensure exceptional service from all of our departments. I will be investigating the incident you encountered with housekeeping as is also an exception to our Hotel’s service. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please contact the hotel directly, ask for me or Barb Allen our Front Office Manager

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Room was very Nice, Clean and quiet which is hard to do when there is a Hockey team in house and remodeling being done! It was an absolutely wonderful Valentine's weekend. Staff were very pleasant and welcoming even with remodeling going on and lots of hockey kids running around, I work at another hotel and know just how challenging all of that can be, yet they did it with a smile, which is a big reason I am returning at the end of this month.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple