“Never again! Terrible service and management”
Review of Perron's Sul Lago

Perron's Sul Lago
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in Prior Lake
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Last night my husband and I along with another couple went to Sul Lago for dinner. When we arrived, we went to the bar to order a drink. The bartender asked me for an ID. Unfortunately, I did not have my ID on me, and I told the bartender that I didn’t have one. The bartender refused to serve me. The four of us are all in our 40’s, and we really couldn’t believe that the bartender really believed we were underage. Furthermore, the four us have eaten at Sul Lago several times. Trying to understand the bartender’s reasoning for not serving me, our friend asked the bartender if their establishment had been recently busted by the cops, and his response was that the cops come all the time (4 times per year; hardly all the time). At that point, my husband decided to leave to go get my ID. My husband was gone for over 30 minutes. During this time, the bartender proceeded to serve the other couple who had their ID’s, but didn’t even offer me a water or non-alcoholic beverage. He blatently ignored me, and wasn’t very friendly to our group. After my husband arrived with my ID, the waitress proceeded to ask for my ID. While I understand the need to verify, it seemed a bit offensive since my husband made the effort to drive 30 minutes to get my ID and to be quite frank, why would I try to order an already overpriced alcoholic beverage if I was truly underage at a fine dining establishment. It is completely ridiculous.
At the point that my husband returned, the bartender should have made a point to come over to our table and thank him for going to get the ID at the very least to acknowledge the inconvenience. However, he was too busy flirting with two ladies at the bar. We ended up spending around $300 total for our meal. When we left, the bartender didn’t even acknowledge or thank us for the business.
I sent an email to the owner, Mr. Perron, and his response was that the policy is to ID period and that his bartender did his job. Well, Mr. Perron, you confirmed my decision to never set foot in your restaurant ever again, and to let others know of my experience at Sul Lago. You completely lost the opportunity to apologize for the WAY your bartender treated us, as I explained in my feedback to you. In reading other reviews, this seems to be a pattern with you. Not a good quality to have in the service industry. There are many other fine dining restaurants that are a lot nicer than Sul Lago that I can give my business to and be treated with respect.
I understand the need to ID, but the staff needs to use common sense and learn to be more professional and customer service oriented in these types of situations.

5  Thank Tracy B
There are newer reviews for Perron's Sul Lago

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have had many high quality experiences at Sul Lago. The food is prepared and presented well each time. Dessert of cherries and ice cream is a treat. Wine list is good, sometimes out of my favorites.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is my third time there and my third disappointment. It is extremely overpriced. Since when do I pay $8 For a glass of box wine? Bread, which was ok - served with oil and balsamic but no Parmesan - was extra and must be ordered. My meal, prosciutto pasta was tasty. My husband had the Bolognese - which was supposed to be beef, veal , celery, and carrots, looked like pureed ground beef on spaghetti (we expected it to look something like stew) and was very bland. The price was$18 each but should have been closer to $12-$14 a plate. - especially since it was ala carte - no veggies or salad. They didn't even offer fresh Parmesan. The room was attractive but very noisy. The attractive panels on the ceiling must amplify the sound, not mute it.

There are too many very good Italian restaurants to let this one charge what they do for the quality of food they serve.

1  Thank Puzzled66
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Against my better judgement of returning to this place, a girlfriend talked me in to it. We arrived for apps and cocktails. Decided to sit at the bar and our bartender took about 10 minutes to greet us. Upon greeting us we asked to see a cocktail menu and he took forever to get our drink order. The place is small, there are only 5 seats at the bar. There was an obnoxious guest at the end of the bar playing with his phone asking it (suri on the phone) unusual and inappropriate questions. The guest seemed to be a regular so the bartender seemed to find him entertaining. We finished out cocktails and left. I have never had a good experience here and I would much rather go somewhere that makes you feel welcome. I am shocked at the good reviews that this place gets. You'd think that you would see more of the positives people have boasted about when you walk through the door here.

3  Thank kruezers
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is by far one of my most favorite restaurants in all of Minneapolis. Intimate dining, and never a bad meal. You can come dressed up to the nines in the dining room, or straight from the lake in shorts and a T-shirt at the bar, and never once feel out of place. Wine selection is phenomenal, chef specials (and the regular entrees) are always perfect. Check out the homemade limoncello for an after dinner aperitif... divine.

As HannahBee said in an earlier post, expect to pay about $50 a head for a full dinner with wine and dessert...But you cannot go wrong with this place - a gem of a place for the SW foodies that are looking for prime eating.