“The hotel is nice, the casino not so....”

Mystic Lake Casino Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Prior Lake
Panama City Beach, Florida
“The hotel is nice, the casino not so....”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed two nights for a conference. Hotel is very nice, seems to be well run. Rooms are clean and well appointed. Checkin was efficient and staff very friendly and knowledgeable. The restaurants were expensive and the food mediocre. Margaritas were made with a heavily citric acid laden commercial mix. We got a light breakfast of sweet roll ans coffee from the lobby coffee bar. The pastries were at least a day old, probably older. The coffee was good though. Its a casino hotel but, unlike the hotel, the casino clearly catered to the less than prosperous. A lot of raggedy, homeless looking people playing penny slots, yep PENNY slot machines, rows upon rows of penny slot machines, and wandering around the facility. There were LOTS of security guards. Now, its always good to see security procedures in place but you wonder how safe the place is if they need that many security guards in a remote location like this. Its located on an Indian reservation miles from any town. Its pretty clear that the threat that they needed to protect against were their own customers. Its kind of sad.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Let me start by saying I've been going to Mystic for almost as long as I can remember. Even before I was old enough to gamble there, we used to go there and eat at holiday times.
I've stayed there on several occasions because I have family in the area, and with the free shuttles it's easy to get there and once you're there you don't really need to leave.
However, the last few times I've stayed it's just been sliding downhill.
Not only are the rooms getting to be tired, but I haven't woken up there in the past couple years without a backache. It's not like they give me the same room over and over again, either.

I also used to get upgraded once in a while (like once out of 5-6 stays) but the last upgrade was xmas of 2009.

The hotel itself is lacking on a couple amenities, including fridge/microwave in the room. I get it's supposed to encourage me to put clothes on and go downstairs and get food, but really it just seems cheap. The food there *is* pretty good, and that should be encouragement enough to go eat it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like some popcorn with my $20 movie or to keep meds or water cold.
Also, with the sheer number of children they rent to, you'd think some of these parents would want to keep milk around. Kids drink milk, right?
I assumed that with the booze would come minibars that I could move the overpriced firewater out of and put in a sandwich, but no.

Also, the room amenities are full of allergens. Some of the other places I stay have allergen free room amenities and it's not like these are 5 star resorts or anything. It can't cost THAT much more, and it's obvious that Mystic isn't hurting for money.

There were several issues the last time I stayed, specifically:
Engineering had to come three times to work on the tv. I had NEVER had a single room problem (except a mixup that put me in smoking once but that was an honest mistake, and we got upgraded that time, but that was several years ago) and so to have the same problem three times with the tv was not what I had been expecting.
One of the times the engineer saw that I had the kitchen sink full of ice because I was chilling pop in the sink for my partner and made a snide comment about the ice machines being empty all the time because of this. RUDE.
Then, I told him I'd be happy to put it in the fridge if they'd only join the 21st century and put them in the rooms and he said "I'd quit. I don't wanna be fixing no (f word) fridges man!"
The "fix" for the tv was short lived, I called down and requested someone else, who did fix it correctly. The previous guy hadn't wanted to go to the engineering office for the correct tool for the job.

Finally, when we were getting ready to leave the morning we departed, I could hear two housekeepers shouting back and forth. Not angrily, just gossiping. The phrase I heard clearly was "DID YOU HEAR THAT (b word) GOT ANOTHER JOB!"
I didn't think much of it, assuming perhaps they were just right outside the door or cleaning the room next door or across. When we did go out in the corridor, they were in different rooms down the hall across from each other, shouting over their vacuum cleaners. Perhaps they should invest in bluetooth headsets if they want to gossip while working.

Bottom line is that there are a LOT of hotels in Shakopee, with two new ones in the past couple years, and maybe one of them deserves a chance or two. I bet the Hilton breakfast isn't as good as midnight nachos, but the service can't be a lot worse.

Room Tip: They don't give you any choices at all anyway.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank keviefriend

Travelers are raving about these Prior Lake hotels

Red Lake Falls, Minnesota
Reviewed January 4, 2014

They are really strict, the security is rude. The showers are cheap. Just you get asked for ID every security you see
. We were just going to the deli and we got stopped by every security gaurd we saw. Its a nice place but the staff if really rude.

• Stayed January 2014
5 Thank honestreviewer34
Webster City, Iowa
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is 100% the worst place I have ever stayed ! The list of reasons are long, but to sum it up in short version, they really dont give a flip what you think of this place. Many promises, with zero commitment, lip service is great but no resolve for the 8 hours of hell from the point of check in. Do not do it, and ISOC, if you ever use this place again, Many will not come, I will personally make sure of it.

Room Tip: AmericInn is 100% more of what we expect as humans
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Sherry W
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed as a getaway from the kids. The room was nicely appointed with a comfy couch, safe, etc. The TV had a predictably limited (for a casino) selection of channels but the signal was weak and HD non existent. Wifi did work well. The shower was only OK, with sporadic pressure. The hotel was clean and the staff friendly, it just was an average facility.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed December 21, 2013

My wife and daughter stayed at mystic lake for a couple of days during a road trip to Mount Rushmore ... Rooms were clean and large ... Service was uneven ... Some staff just could not do enough while others treated us like we were an annoyance ... I was disappointed in the bus service mystic lake provided from the hotel to the Mall of America ... The staff person let everyone on the bus with barely checking to see if they had a hotel key... My family had to produce room keys and ID before we could take a seat and this in front of a bus load of passengers waiting to try their luck at the casino... All that being said , the food was excellent

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Brian W
Blaine, Minnesota
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We are Mystic lake loyality members, at checkin we asked to be located near elevator due to medical condition, and was told nothing was available as we watched the next front desk person state to 2 diferent guests how lucky they were as they were being upgraded to suites. Both times the guests stated they were not loyality members but they were young and the desk clerk was younger. When we asked again our agent not kindly said no. We spoke to the other people checking in by the elevator. Once again they confirmed they were not loyality member and in fact paid less than we did.
After 6 years of being a loyality member, I know we were not able to get a free room and it wasn't paying over $100.00 that became the issue. The lack of service to an elderly person who needed assistance made me realize Mystic Lake is the wrong place to go for sincere service.
The lamps in the rooms are outdated and don't have power on them for you to plug in your phones as well as the little knobs are hard to turn. The soap in the bathtub is hard to open.
When we were eating their was someone complaining about not recieving their food within 30 minutes, the staff handled it poorly, why wouldn't you just not charge someone.
This casino has teriible service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank 5711blaine
MysticLake, Manager at Mystic Lake Casino Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
At Mystic Lake Casino Hotel, we pride ourselves on our excellent guest service and the ability to accommodate hotel room preferences and requests. I apologize that your recent experience did not meet your expectations.

A room near the elevator is by far our most popular request, and those rooms are often the first ones to be occupied. In the future, when you call to make your reservation, please ask the representative to add a “near the elevator” request to your profile. While we can never guarantee a request, on the day of arrival, feel free to contact the hotel front desk and ask for a supervisor. Explain your request to the supervisor and they can discuss room options.

Please know that we take all guest comments seriously, and use them to constantly improve. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prior Lake
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 1 in Savage
Radisson Blu Mall of America

Been to Mystic Lake Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!