“ICK!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We heard this place was "fine dining" but all we saw were baseball caps and cranky children around us! I ordered the vegetarian dinner - was told I was lucky as it was the last one available - thick slabs of tomatoes, onions and eggplant swimming in cheese and topped with giant wet mushroom caps. All broiled but cold by the time it reached me. Ghastly! My husband had chewy ribs. CHEWY RIBS! Who does that? I asked where the washroom was and the hostess said, "Oh, do you mean the ladies room?" It took forever to get out there from Crosslake. I'm not sure why anyone goes!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a nice, old school supper club overlooking Kimble lake Northeast of Pequot Lakes. Always a beautiful drive near the Whitefish Chain of lakes and northwest of Cross Lake. My wife and I enjoyed the the beef teriyaki kabobs and their great au gratin potatoes. The meat was tender, nicely marinated and came with a dipping sauce for extra flavor. The vegetables were suclant and tender. The establishment offers a wide variety of entrees and has a nice wine list with a wide price selection and a great desert menu. Reservations are suggested especially on busy weekend days--Open Tuesday thru Sunday. Various seating arrangements make for good conversation and can accommodate a variety of party sizes including larger groups.

My only complaint is that they need to work on their service if they want to charge the prices listed. We made a last minute decision to eat their but saying we didn't have reservations we were made to feel like 2nd class citizens. Nice tables were available but we were given a noisy table in the traffic pattern. They definitely need a host/hostess--be aggressive on you choice of seating!

We found the service very uneven and they seemed always in a rush to get somewhere else--we were often left waiting for many, many minutes beyond acceptable and the evening was not that busy. Drink service was especially lacking with incomplete orders and a rather tasteless funky, after taste in the iced tea. They need to be up front that their tea is flavored rather than the usual earl grey style.

A nice evening that could have been excellent with better service.

1  Thank Tom P
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have eaten here many times and it's always a crap-shoot. Our latest visit was below average. I ordered an end cut of prime rib with a salad and au gratin potatoes. The prime rib was horrible and I never got the potatoes even after asking.

We've had good experiences as well in the past, but this restaurant really lacks attention to detail and you never know if it will be good or bad.

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

The best food in the lakes area. It's a family owned restaurant I have been eating at since 1989. The food, atmosphere and staff are all superb. Anyone who wants excellent food in a cozy northwoods setting should give this a try.

2  Thank JTC72