Bug-Bee Hive Resort
$90
$70
Hotwire.com
$109
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 12, 2013

For my family reunion, we stayed at Bug Beehive Resort. This was out 4thtime staying here. I think it's a pretty good place, although it could use some help.

Location: It's located on a lake that's surrounded by trees and grass. The lakr had three islands that you could go out to. There was even a canoe and lifejackets you could use for free, so long as you were staying at the resort. Each cabin is within a few minutes of walking distance from the beach. The beach is fun--- there's sand, chairs, a trampoline on the water, and a platform from which you can jump off at two levels. But if that's too hot/cold/sunny/sandy/etc. for you, you can go to the indoor pool. The water is on the cold side, but if you move around a little, it warms up. Too cold? Try the relaxing hot tub. Near our cabin was a volleyball pit. The sand was a bit on the rocky side, but was still fun. At the lodge there's equipment to play outdoor games. There's also a park and some play houses behind the lodge.

Cabins: This year we stayed in a joint cabin, Colony A. The beds weren't bad, but I would recommend bringing your own pillow. They could've been cleaned a little better. There were some repairs needed, such as burnt out bulbs or doors that didn't lock. I would recommend the resort hire a mechanic that can fix these. Maybe patrons could go to the lodge to report problems or could write in the guide book things that could use some fixing. I also didn't like the curtains. They were a bit too small for the windows and rather sheer. Call me paranoid, but I had the feeling I was being watched at night.

Wi-Fi: The Wi-Fi connection in our cabin was horrid. It made a brief appearance our first night and was not to be seen for the rest of the week. It worked great at the lodge though. It's possible this was just our cabin, because when I went to the lodge and sat on the deck, I could connect to the Yellow Jacket's (another cabin) Internet.

Overall, I would say this was a good stay. I loved the resort and the cabins weren't bad. I would recommend an easier way to get stuff fixed and that things be fixed when a family arrives. I also like to be connected to the Internet, and it was slightly annoying to have to walk down to the lodge if I just wanted to Google a quick fact. But I liked the stay and would recommend.

2  Thank YooperJ
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Our stay at Bugbee Hive resort in August 2013 was kind of a checkerboard of awesomeness and disappointment.

Good for value-oriented groups who care more about old fashioned fun than about modern-day resort excellence. Our extended family (30 people) might return, especially if they are in improvement mode.

They seem to have put lots of money into a gorgeous main building & pool, an activity center, etc. Nice little beach, floating trampoline, diving tower, pontoon boat, etc. Paved bike riding trails. Nice golf course 2 miles away.

Some of the disappointments were small and solve-able with a phone call...no frying pan in the kitchen, no battery in the smoke detector, no towels in the cabin after having ordered them, etc.

One unit had some missing screens. A refrigerator shelf unusable. A coffee pot had old grounds in it. You might find yourself saying "hello?"

There was significant "mustiness" in some cabins and the activity center. Maybe they need to have less carpeting and more humidity management on some of the lower levels.

Also, the tap water did smell a little. Probably best to bring bottled water.

The above is a collection of issues from 4 different cabins. Maybe not as bad as it sounds, and the kids probably had no disappointments at all.

Our group dinners were catered by nearby restaurants the resort recommended. That worked very well.

It's about 3 miles from Paynesville, MN, which is handy.

3  Thank cwmacphail
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We just had our wedding at Bug-Bee Hive Resort, and the majority of our guests stayed on the property.

What a great experience - Lake Koronis is a beautiful place to spend a weekend! The staff worked tirelessly to provide everything we needed and staying up late to help orchestrate our event, being very flexible about locations used and time needed. To top it off, Paul Bugbee gave us the perfect send-off, dressing up and driving us away in a pontoon boat, complete with champagne and classical music.

Our guests keep talking about how great a weekend they had, and we're so grateful to Laurie, Paul, and Natalie for being so friendly and accommodating! Thank you!

1  Thank AnnieRose9
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Can't wait for our annual trip to BugBee in August. This will be our 14th year. It is a great place with excellent cabins and great family activities. The cabins are very spacious. We take over 5 of them and it gives our family plenty of room. It is a highlight for our entire family.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MARYMPL
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Six of us stayed 2 nights for a girls weekend mid-September. We've been doing this for 20+ years but the place we use to go to closed. So we needed a new place, had someone recommend BugBee Resort and decided to give it a try.

What a great place. The cabins are clean and have everything you will need. It was a little chilly and we had to ask for the furnace to be turned on. The owner came right away and took care of that and the cabin warmed up quickly. The main lodge has a nice indoor hot tub and swimming pool which we enjoyed. This would be a great place to bring a family and I'd love to go back in the summer. The only negative which is hardly worth mentioning is the water had a very strong smell. We think this is because it probably hadn't been run in a while since we were there in low season. The smell became less over time. We've already booked for next year. Love this place and highly recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends