“rules, rules, rules”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Owatonna
Spencer, Iowa
“rules, rules, rules”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

The hotel was in a good location, had clean rooms, and overall, was an excellent facility. The reason for the poor rating was due to rules and what I think was just a lazy staff. First of all, my entire family stayed at the hotel to celebrate Christmas and a birthday. The family rented 5 rooms and had 20 individuals. It was approximately 9:00pm on a Saturday Night and we wanted to open gifts and have birthday cake. We saw a sign on the pool door not allowing food, which is perfectly understandable, so I asked the front desk if it was alright if we used the currently unoccupied breakfast sitting area. The staff informed me that it was not going to be possible because she had already cleaned the area and that we could use the front lobby instead. Now mind you, the front lobby only had one table but we were all in good spirits so we used it. Shortly after, we realized the area was just plain uncomfortable with everyone crammed in at just one table. We cut the celebration short and went back to our rooms. The whole situation could have been remedied if they would have just let us use the breakfast area. Excuse us if we payed almost $600 and expect the ability to use a simple sitting area to celebrate my son's 7th birthday. The last time I checked, the staff was getting paid a wage so EARN IT! The poor staff would have maybe wiped down a few tables after we left and might have had to take the trash out. And to do all of that before 6am, what was I thinking?
The next day for breakfast, I was sitting in the breakfast area eating when a staff member told me I would have to leave because the breakfast area closed at 10am. I had gotten into the breakfast area at 9:45 to eat. It was now 10:10am. Now, I can see putting the food away at 10am but kicking the patrons out while they're eating the very breakfast they advertise is FRUSTRATING. What couldn't the staff do with me enjoying my food? My family has stayed at numerous hotels and never had any issues. Nice try, AmericInn. You have the facility but not the faculty to run it properly. I hope you revise your policies. As far as my family is concerned, we will be finding another hotel in Owatonna.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank IowaMark712

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Nothing good, nothing bad...the. Average hotel price has REALLY gone up. $105 before tax, get real.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Paint-by-number
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We were traveling over night and decided at 3am to try and find a room. When we stopped here the gentleman on duty was very cheerful and helpful with directions. He even came outside as we were unloading to offer the kids donuts, bananas and milk now since they would be sleeping during breakfast. I figured we would need to walk back down to the lobby to get them, after putting our bags in the room we headed back down the hall and he was coming to our room with a beautiful tray of breakfast food and milk. I would HIGHLY recommend this facility to anyone looking for a good value and great service! If we are ever back this way we will be staying here without a doubt!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Nebraska-home
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I chose this over other Owatonna after reading the reviews and did not have the same experience. While the lobby was nice, the room was very outdated and the carpet belonged on an outdoor porch. The corners of the bathroom were dirty as were the windows and the air conditioner vent - I needed to use it but knew that dirt was getting blown into my room. The room didn't smell clean when I arrived. It also had a broken ironing board and the coffeemaker wasn't even set where I could plug it in. I was never told about a shuttle, which I would gladly have used. I paid WAY too much for a less than clean room. I will stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
AIOWTNGM, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Owatonna, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the AmericInn Hotel & Suites Owatonna. Our top priority is creating an environment in which our guests can relax, renew and recharge. We are truly sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Constructive feedback from our guests is crucial in our continued quest to provide unparalleled
guest service and impeccably clean lodging accommodations.

Our AmericInn has a very high standard and reputation of guest room cleanliness. You were
promised a clean room and it appears we did not live up to that expectation. To more consistently accomplish that goal, we have made some changes to the way in which our guest rooms are cleaned and inspected before being rented to our guests.

I have investigated your concerns and will take the appropriate stops to ensure that the challenges you experienced do not happen again. The staff will also be made aware of your comments and will be very involved in the corrective action taken to prevent future issues; this is certainly a training opportunity for our team.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience which you experienced. It is our wish that you will
continue to benefit from our excellent accommodations, exceptional guest service and that you
will honor us with another opportunity to exceed your expectations. We are dedicated to providing the highest standards of service for our guest and I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one. We look forward to serving you again in the future and will once again say, “Welcome to the end of the day”.

Regards,
Jennifer Nelson
AmericInn of Owatonna
Browerville, MN
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We spent a weekend there for a class reunion. Hotel easy to get to; no freeway noise. Staff was very helpful in ensuring our needs were met. The shuttle driver went out of his way to "cruise us down main street" after he picked us up from our Friday evening event. On Saturday he tried to find us an ice cream place after our banquet. He always had a smile and was willing to go the "extra mile" for us. Room was spacious and comfortable. The breakfast room was a bit crowded - but maybe because the hotel was full that weekend. The young girl in charge tried hard to keep food available and did a good job. Hopefully the next time we stay, they'll have tea bags for those who don't drink coffee.

Room Tip: Request the new wing.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank sandyBrowerville_MN
Faribault, Minnesota
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The Place was very clean And well maintained. It was quite and easy to sleep which was a major thing the pool was not cold and the arcade games were OK i guess The breakfast looked like it was thrown to gather in a hurry and last min and the brisket were cold but it was good other that that thanks for the great night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ginger9319
Runnells, IA
Reviewed May 29, 2011

The staff goes out of their way to assist each and every guest. It is a pristine location with great rates.

Room Tip: No room is a bad room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank John_WoodRunnells_IA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Owatonna
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Owatonna
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 8 in Owatonna
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Owatonna
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Faribault
Boarders Inn & Suites Faribault, MN

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Owatonna? Share your experiences!