New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Plaza Morena
Ranked #4 of 67 Restaurants in Owatonna
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Mexican, Tex Mex and American Restaurant
Fargo, ND
“Fairly good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

I ordered a hard shell taco and got a soft shell. I also ordered a chili rellano and it contained lots of seeds. The fried ice cream wad good though. I will probably come back because overall it was pretty good, and the service was fine.

• 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

“Albert Lea location had horrible lunch service and bugs in water.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

We love going to Mexican restaurants, however Plaza Morena will be remembered for all the wrong reasons. I agree with other reviewers that the salsa was bland, however my kids did enjoy it.

We waited over ten minutes for anyone to come to our table after we were seated. We are used to getting chips and salsa and our drink order taken right away! Our server was so soft spoken and quiet I am not sure when he finally did come to the table if he asked for our drink order or our food order!

My husband ordered water with lemon as his drink. Lemon was forgotten. We did order the Flaming Cheese appetizer, mostly for the kids. They light it at the table. I am not sure if there is supposed to be some fanfare accompanied with this, but what a missed opportunity! It seemed be a chore.

The flavor and the quanity of the food was good, however as my husband was drinking his water he noticed the bug floating in it. Gross. At that point we were pretty much done eating.

We had to wait again for our server to come back at his leisure. By this time my husband had taken the kids out to the car. I showed him the bug in the glass. He didn't really apologize or anthing, so I asked him if he saw it. He said yes and then we both were silent... I was waiting for an apology... Not sure what he was waiting for. He left the check and walked away.

Went to cashier to pay (manager?) and he asked me how everything was. I told him about the bug in the water and he just looked at me. I told him I showed our server and the cashier/manager said "the guy comes in and sprays for bugs once a month." WOW. First of all... how about an "I'm sorry." Second, why ask how was everything if you don't want to know the answer or even want to try and fix the problem! Very disapointing service.

• 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank HeaterR
“Ok Mexican food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Food is ok but their chips are always stale and often taste of old oil. They probably need to change it a little more often.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank tivab0
Owatonna, Minnesota
“New Plaza Morena not as good as South location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We went to the new, North location on the 2nd night they opened. The service was good, but food did not taste as good as the South location. A friend that was in the next booth, said the same thing when they were done. Price is a little high for quantity recevied also.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Carl W
Owatonna, Minnesota
“The new one is great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Food is always great and the service is also great. One of my favorite place to go and enjoy mexican food. Salsa can be a little mild but it can be doctored up.