“Great Family Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Owatonna
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Great Family Hotel”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stopped at Owatonna, MN on our way to Minneapolis. It was a nice stopping point after an 8 hr drive. We were very impressed with the customer service at the front desk. We had 4 boys with us all between 12 and 15. The waterpark was a hit for all of them! The rooms were large and comfortable. We appreciated the free drink ticket and the restaurant food was really good and reasonably priced. The hotel sits in an area where there are several eating options if you don't want to eat at the hotel. Easy on/off access to I-35 and Cabelas is just down the block. We have stayed here several times in the past and have never been disappointed!

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
1 Thank Deb B
Daren W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Deb B, Thank you for you recent visit to our hotel. I am pleased you choose the Holiday Inn & Suites in Owatonna when you are in the area. I look forward to your family returning to stay with us many more times in the future. Sincerely, Daren Wradislavsky, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I gave this hotel a four, even though it may not deserve it in whole. The staff was friendly, helpful and quick. Our room was awesome! We had gotten a king with whirlpool suite. According to the description it was one room. When we got to it, 2 rooms!! Well decorated,a little worn, but not bad. The mattress in the pull out sofa in room 304 is about two inches thick! The metal rings hurt my kids. The layout of the hotel is awful. Parking lot bad, the elevator is so slow we opted to take the stairs, even with small children. Seemed like a local hangout in the water park.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear CarlaB6, Thank you for your time in reviewing our hotel, as well as your patronage. We value your business and will use your review to work on rectifying the issues you incurred. I hope you will be back with us soon. Sincerely, Daren Wradislavsky, General Manager
Willmar, Minnesota
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed here for a meeting last week and was totally satisfied with my stay. The bar attached was nice and had a great selection of tap beers. The room was comfortable and quiet. Also, the food service that we had for our meeting was excellent.
Would recommend this location for a stay or meeting.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mikreyn, I would like to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time out of your day and review our hotel. I am happy you enjoyed both the hotel and the restaurant, as well as the banquet food for your meeting. I hope you will return for both business and leisure in the future. Sincerely, Daren Wradislavsky, General Manager
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was hopeful, in light of the injury of dozens of children two weeks ago, that the hotel and its staff would be at its best. Since I had taken advantage of the pay early and save to treat my kids and their kids to a family fun weekend, i was told i could not get any of my money back if I canceled ( knew that when I signed up, but i thought that if they didn't have a waterpark~they were canceling). I was told by intercontinental hotels group, two weeks ahead of my stay, in no uncertain terms, that I could not get a refund period!
Back to arriving hoping for the best... They did cancel my reservation. Did not tell me. Gave away the King Family suites that I had PAID-IN-ADVANCE for. The front desk simply told me that I did not have a reservation, sorry goodbye. I should have walked away. Instead I fought for my family weekend for an hour and twenty minutes with my family waiting in the lobby. The staff eventually did the best they could with nearly no rooms to spare since i was willing to pay again and trust that the refund had been processed.( I am still not sure if the refund has posted) we used the waterpark, it was cold and drafty. Sunday morning we found out that they do NOT have room service on the weekend- just monday thru friday. on the way out, since the stairs can only be used for emergency exit out of the hotel the lines for the elevators were clogged with houskeeping staff. I tried so hard to stay positive but my youngest grandson shivering in the pool, broke my spirit.

1 Thank mankatograndpa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear mankatograndpa,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Anthony M
Iowa
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Nothing exciting to report here. The ironic thing is the front page of the free newspaper had an article discussing the recent close of the waterpark due to illness. One reason why I abhor indoor parks. I was here on business so the closure caused no inconvenience. I categorize this hotel as more of an industrial versus homey experience. Staff was adequate and the room was adequate. If it wasn't for the IHG Big Win incentive program I would have stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank tpharkman
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear tpharkman,

We'd like to thank you for leaving a review about your experience. It is truly regrettable to see the layout of the property prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do take all of our reviews very seriously to help highlight areas where we have an opportunity to improve. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure a more positive experience for you and all future guests.

Adrian D
Albert Lea, Minnesota
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Last Sunday my two children were among many that became ill after swimming at the water park! It has been 4 days and my son is still not feeling well and still experiencing a variety of symptoms. InterContinental Hotels Group, owner of the Holiday Inn brand, released a statement Monday afternoon saying that it “holds the safety, comfort and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern yet they have been absolutely no help! The Mn Dept of Health has been extremely helpful in figuring out the cause of the problem. I can honestly say my children have not been comfortable since entering the water at the hotel last Sunday and not only was the staff that day rude when it happened but also upon follow up. I would never return to this establishment and would advise others to think twice too. I know this could happen anywhere but we have also stayed at the Albert Lea location and the chlorine level was so bad that my children were in tears because their eyes were burning so bad. Also, I saw on KAALTV that someone had made a complaint against the Austin Holiday Inn also. Not a chain that will be getting my business

Room Tip: Dont stay here!
1 Thank S C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear S C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We certainly regret the issues you experienced during your stay. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain additional information.

Joel B
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I took my kids here last year and had a great time. This year we checked in and headed straight to the pool. After about an hour all five of us were sneezing, coughing and had red itchy eyes. Something must be wrong with the ventilation. When we told the worker at check out she was snarky and said maybe got sick from someone else. I don't think so. The other three families we were with had similar issues.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Momfromsaintpaul
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Momfromsaintpaul,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We truly regret to see this stay was not up to the expectations you have from our hotel. We were glad to see you have been in contact with the management regarding your concerns and that they have been fully addressed.

Adrian D
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Owatonna
Baymont Inn & Suites Owatonna
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Faribault
Oakdale Motel
Oakdale Motel
#6 of 8 in Owatonna

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna? Share your experiences!