“OK - Everything fine but wouldn't rush back”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Owatonna
LaCrosse
“OK - Everything fine but wouldn't rush back”
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I read all the reviews and so I was pretty prepared. On Saturday afternoon we arrived to find the waterpark pretty crowded. The hotel lets non-guests buy wristbands so there were a few birthday parties. There are only 4 or 5 tables and they were all full. There was 30-40 chairs that were mostly unoccupied but had towels on them. They did run out of towels by dinner time. The water temperature was OK/fair on Saturday - but much warmer on Sunday. The waterpark is better than several of the Wisconsin Dells toddler waterparks but no where near as good as the big waterparks. It has a nice toddler area connected to a small pool. Two medium waterslides - 1 for bodies and 1 for tubes and the tiniest lazy river I have ever seen. The hot tub has a sign that it should be for 12 and older but many children, some with parents and some without, filled the hot tub. The chlorine bugged a few people but I didn't think it was too bad but I did hear several people in the elevator complain. My daughter has sensitive skin and some pools cause a rash on her - this waterpark was one of her worst rashes but it didn't affect me, my husband, or my son. It is true that during checkout there was a huge line for the elevator but didn't bother us. Rooms were typical Holiday Inn rooms. Everything was fine. My children loved the trip. I would return but I'm in no hurry.

• Liked — Waterpark
  • Disliked — No place to set our stuff down in the waterpark - all chairs were taken
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank travlin-with-tots

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
MIDWEST
Reviewed February 23, 2008

This hotel appeared okay at first. On Friday night of our stay my kids, my wife, and I had a fun time and enjoyed the water park(It's nice for young kids).

I would have to say that the wait staff at the attached restaurant were very slow...even ordering a beverage was pointless, because it took the waitresses so long to bring anything. On Monday the waitress NEVER came to the table for a breakfast order.

The hotel never seemed to have enough towels-even though there is a water park inside-and we had to ask repeatedly for more before the staff had any. They apparently could not keep up with the demands for the weekend.

Finally, three of our four kids had what we suspect are skin rashes or burns caused by too much chlorine. I went into the pool area Sunday night and had to leave a short time later due to eye irritation. Showers did not help much with the high chlorine/chemical levels.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank HIBBINGHILTON
Minnesota
Reviewed February 2, 2008

Five families with children 12 and under stayed at the Holiday Inn - Owatonna in January 2008 for one night. Check in process was fast and easy. The hotel rooms were clean and comfortably sized. We had booked as a group and all of our rooms were on the same floor but not together. The problem I had with the hotel was the waterpark. During the afternoon there was one lifeguard on duty and she stood by the snack bar the entire time. Later there were multiple lifeguards on duty but most were standing by the snack bar visiting or folding towels. They were not the friendliest people either. The waterpark is small so most of our kids were bored after 2 hours. The chlorine level in the water must be very high as several of the kids had red, "burned", itchy skin for days after being in that water. With taxes and fees we paid almost $180 for one night. In my opinion, one night there was not worth that. Maybe the waterparks and hotels in the WI Dells have set my expectations too high.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — waterpark staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank urbaniris
Perry, Iowa
Reviewed September 25, 2007

We stayed here for one night during the week on the way home from the Twin Cities because we like Owatonna so much! This hotel is in a great location next to Cabela's. The check-in was smooth and our room (2 Queens) was large and very clean. I believe all rooms come with a mini fridge and micro. I love all of the closet space! The beds are medium quality, but sleepable. Kids eat free at the restaurant in the hotel. When we ate there this time, the food wasn't quite as good as I remembered. I think I'd spend an extra few bucks on the kids meal and go to Timberlodge Steakhouse next time. Timberlodge, Famous Dave's, Subway, a pizza place and one other steakhouse type restaurant are all in this location. The water park was the main attraction for us and our 3 year old daughter. There is an area for the little kids and a body slide and a tube slide and a lazy river area. All were clean and there were plenty of towels. The water park does close at 9 pm during the week, which is fine for our family, but other adults might be disappointed. All said, we have stayed here before and will stay again.

• Liked — Large rooms and the waterpark.
  • Disliked — The hotel restaurant's childrens meal.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Iowa
Reviewed December 4, 2006

For what we paid and what we had in mind, this was a great experience. The waterpark is great for small children but the bigger slides were fun as well. The staff was fantastic. The restaurant food and service was well above the norm for a hotel restaurant. If you are expecting a massive waterpark go to one and pay for one. We got a good package rate from the hotel and our party of 8 enoyed our stay.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
Thank J.M.20
Southern Minnesota
Reviewed December 2, 2006

I stayed at this great hotel with my children and I have to say it was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. The waterpark had slides for my children and a nice hot tub for myself to relax in. My kids even ate free in their resturaunt. The rooms had lots of space and were very clean. My children really had a great time in their arcade. Some of the games would eat my kids tokens but the front desk took good care of that problem. I would certainly suggest this hotel for a weekend away!

Stayed November 2006
MN
Reviewed June 9, 2006

Just stayed at this hotel and it was a very nice hotel with a few exceptions. I took 5 nieces and nephews with me and they ALL ATE FREE!!!!!!!! They told me only 4 per room but they all ate free. So you can't beat that.

The waterpark of course was a big hit and very fun for everyone. However, I have to say that the lifeguards are NOT very friendly. There was 1 lifeguard that I know HATED her job as she didn't smile once to ANYONE! Ok, this is a family place--there are going to be kids around----So if she doesn't like that---GET A NEW JOB!

The excercise room needed to be updated or some of the machines were not working. It was also VERY HOT in there. They needed AC on and fans.

Overall, this was a very nice place to stay. Kids loved it----They are asking to go back again!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank betdoug72
Also consider these accommodations in or near Owatonna
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Owatonna
Baymont Inn & Suites Owatonna
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 8 in Owatonna
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Owatonna
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Faribault
Boarders Inn & Suites Faribault, MN

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Owatonna? Share your experiences!