“Don't go if it is cold out!”

Thumper Pond Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ottertail
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
“Don't go if it is cold out!”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We planned a birthday party and to stay overnight. There was broken glass in the lazy river and my son got his foot sliced opened and couldn't go back in the water. The waterslides were shut down both days we were there because it was to cold to run them. The boys were bored to death. When I spoke with management they offered no apology or to refund the water park passes.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mill1bri
ThumperPond, Guest Relations Manager at Thumper Pond Resort, responded to this review, May 5, 2015
Thanks for your comments, and I am sorry to hear of your experience. In regards to the waterslides the reason they get shut down due to freezing temperatures is due to safety for the guests.
Many apologies. We want to make sure all of our guests check out having experienced a great stay with us! Please let me know if I can help in arranging a future stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding recently. I called ahead of time to verify our reservation as the bride indicated that the groom's family reservations had been messed up. The person who answered the phone could not locate our reservation. I spelled our last name multiple times and after a few minutes, she finally found it after realizing she had been looking up with the wrong letter. Same thing happened at check in. Our key cards did not work and I had to return to the desk as they had not been activated at check in. We stayed in a King/Whirlpool/Fireplace room on the 3rd floor. Unfortunately, our room was right next to the very slow elevator and it was quite noisy all night despite the quiet hours that are supposed to start at midnight. The room was spacious, clean and had a separate sink and microwave area which was nice so we could use a different sink for drinking water and coffee making rather than the bathroom sink. The gas fireplace emitted a great deal of heat but the fireplace front, which was wood, became very hot to the touch. There is a sign warning you about this so take it seriously. If you have small children in your room, then you will maybe want to keep the fireplace off. The whirlpool appeared clean and worked well. The bed was comfortable and free of bed bugs - yes we checked. The bathroom was a bit small and only had a shower which is understandable given the whirlpool tub. We reserved the Romance Package which includes champagne (Yellow Tail) and chocolate covered strawberries for each day you stay and breakfast for two each morning at their restaurant Willy T's. We only ate breakfast one morning as we had to leave Sunday morning before breakfast opened at 8:00 am. I had the egg, pancake and bacon breakfast. I ordered my eggs over easy and they arrived hard. The pancake was dry but the bacon was crispy. My husband the eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and toast. The toast was a thick slice of wheat which was delicious. My husband also ordered his eggs over easy and they came one hard and one medium. My husband's hashbrowns were warm but definitely not crispy which is the way we like them. The restaurant and bar share the same open space and it is quite loud even though there were only about 4 tables occupied at 8:15 am. My husband and I tried to get a table for dinner on Friday - we waited almost 10 minutes before a hostess came over to tell us that she would be with us soon. We waited for several more minutes before giving up. During the time we waited, the restaurant was very loud and people appeared to be yelling at one another to be heard across tables. The location is quite pretty on a wooded lot. It is a bit disappointing that it isn't directly on Ottertail Lake.

Room Tip: Choose a room as far away from the elevator as possible and request one with a view of the golf cour...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bmg91
Hopkins
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were treated like royalty and had a blast! We opened up our suite with champagne on ice and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. The golf course was in great condition for being in October. The food was great and the staff was fantastic! I especially want to thank Stefanie at the front desk who multiple times went above and beyond to make us feel appreciated and welcomed!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask about accommodations and the staff will be very helpful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scott M
Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to have gained you as a loyal customer. We strive each day to be the best in the business. We are very thankful to have had the opportunity to "WOW" you.
Oak Grove, Mn
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My class reunion was held at Thumper Pond on Sept 13th thru the 15th. We had a great time and the employees, from the check in, the restaurant, the buffet, and check out were very friendly and helpful. The grounds are beautifully maintained. The only complaint I have is that the towels in the room need replacing. They are starting to fray and are not very white any more. Also the sheets on my bed were stained with something black. They also need to replace the TV's. They still have the old fashioned ones.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OakGrove_MNJoyceN
We are sincerely appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us. It is comments such as yours that make us strive to become better at what we do. We have now gone to the white bedding program and new towels. We are also in the process of upgrading the TV's in each room. We hope you come back soon to check out the new upgrades to the rooms. Thank you for your continued loyalty to Thumper Pond.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed over the Labor Day weekend. Overall Thumper pond is ok. The rooms are ok the waterpark is ok the service was ok. Summary of the water park one tube slide, one larger body slide one kids water slide, and lazy river. Enough to keep two kids busy for maybe an afternoon. We were in town to meet up with family in the area so that was ok, but if you are looking for a weekend of waterpark fun you will be disappointed. Our room seemed clean, but he halls could have used a vacuum, I passed the same wrapper both days we were there. Our room rate was reasonable and the hotel though full did not seem overly crowded.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Minnesota_Rob
Thank you for providing a review. Regarding the cleanliness of your room, I’ve brought this example up with our team, so we can be sure the level of service we expect from ourselves is consistently being offered to each of our guests. I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon so we may show you our true standard of service. Please let me know how I can help in arranging this.
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I unfortunately had to stay here because this is where a wedding reception was held. The room prices were absolutely ridiculous!!! For the price I paid I expect luxury accommodations, and what I got was not much nicer than a super 8. The fountain and golf course were pretty, but for that price I could have stayed somewhere to get more bang for my buck. Unfortunately other hotels are a ways away, but I would recommend taking a cab or something and staying in battle lake or renting a cabin on the lake.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katelynnmk
Sartell, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Thumper Pond Resort last weekend with a group of family memebers. What a FUN Place! It was FABOULOUS! The staff was SUPER SUPER FRIENDLY! The Hotel and Rooms were clean, up to date and VERY SPACIOUS!!!
We played in the water park until it closed, it was clean, had two great water slides, a large lazy river, a very large whirlpool and a good sized little tots water park and a great snack bar! We also enjoyed playing two groups of foursome’s on the beautiful (but tight) golf course. My game was not so good but the course was Beautiful! The light up water fountain was right outside my room so I could see and hear it all night, Gorgeous! Beautiful Pine Trees line the property! We ordered fantastic food at Willy’s Tavern! Bottom line…I will suggest this property to everyone looking for a nice get away! I can’t say enough NICE things about Thumper Pond and hope to be back again!
VERY VERY NICE PLACE!!! Laura Goebel / BurschTravel

Room Tip: All rooms are clean, Large and comfortable! They have refrigerators, microwaves, sofa sleepers and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura G
So are so extremely pleased that your experience was everything you hoped for. We like to thank you as well for the very kind review and recommendation, we value the product and service that we offer to our guest. Our product and the expectations we have for ourselves are held at such high standards and that reflection shows in your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ottertail
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Perham, MN
#2 of 3 in Battle Lake
Brookside Motel
Brookside Motel
#2 of 5 in Wadena

Been to Thumper Pond Resort? Share your experiences!