“amazing-fun”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ottertail
Perham, Minnesota, United States
“amazing-fun”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

we stayed there a night and injoyed everything it has to offer

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Brainerd, Minnesota
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Our family stayed for a long weekend. We usually go to different places in a group and this time we decided to have just our family of four go (two boys, age 5 and 1), we were a little worried we wouldn't be able to keep them entertained, but we had no issues and they loved the waterpark and had a great and tiring weekend.

The waterpark was just the right size for us, the pizza was good, the room was clean and big and Willie T's had excellent food.

There were a few negatives, but nothing that would stop us from going back. The issues we had were the fact that one of the waterslides requires a tube and while it is fun, the tubes are kind of a freeforall and unregulated and there didn't seem to be enough, so on Saturday if you gave up a tube, chances were good you would be waiting awhile for somebody to give one up, and even then you had to be in the right place at the right time, we only had this happen to us once, but it seemed there was always somebody waiting for one. I even saw a guy take one into the bathroom so that he didn't have to give it up. The second slide is okay, but literally hurts your backside when you go down and multiple people were very slow or even stopped when they got to the bottom and it was hit and miss. I went down twice, the first time hurt, but I went out the end pretty good, but the next time I had to pull myself out, and I saw all ages and body types pulling themselves out, so it wasn't just a big person issue. Lastly, for the little kids area, a couple of times tubes were being used in the area and they knocked several younger kids down, my youngest avoided it, but came close, I'd like to see that area monitored a little more, by the hotel and parents. Also for the small fish slide, there were too many ground sprays that sprayed straight into the air, my 1 year old didn't like the slide because of them and he usually loves slides. However, that is a design flaw and I place no blame on the current operators, sometimes things seem like a good idea when designed and they just don't work great in the real world.

As for the location, it's not great, but I guess when I go to places like this, I rarely leave the hotel so location doesn't usually matter to me, especially when the place is above average like Thumper Pond.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Milroy, Minnesota
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Our family received a free night stay here so we decided to use it over New Years, BAD CHOICE! The waterpark was the worst ever! The chlorine was soooo bad, your eyes burned and you could not stop coughing no matter what, they had a water slide and a small kitty pool a lazy river and a basketball place along with a hot tub. I overheard that one kid threw up because of the chlorine, they also had a small arcade, a total rip off some of the machines were busted and the staff was too lazy to fix it plus the prizes were crappy. Also the noise was the worst ever, since it was New Years some kids thought it would be funny to go up and down the hallway yelling "HAPPY NEW YEARS" really annoying and the people above us were very loud I have no clue what they were doing, but we could hear every footstep!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JayJohns
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Nice rooms, decent waterpark, but located a long ways from anything. One there you are stuck eating in their restaurant unless you want to drive an hour. Everything was a tad on the pricey side.

1 Thank Mnman76
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I'm reviewing the resort restaurant Willie T's.

Busy Saturday night at 6 pm, but we were still able to get a table for three with no wait. Nice casual atmosphere in one large open room. The bar is off to one side with a pool table and darts on the other side. We sat at a high table by the back windows overlooking the golf course.

The menu is large with sandwiches, burgers, pizza or steaks, ribs, fish and chicken.
This is what we had:
Sirloin steak was done perfectly.
Chicken and ribs were requested gluten free so they came with no sauce, but the ribs still fell of the bones and were very flavorful. They didn't even need the sauce. Chicken was juicy and tender.
Salmon was overdone and I didn't care for the maple sauce that came on it.
You get a choice of two sides and the sweet potato fries were my favorite.
All portions were huge!

Service was fast and friendly.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Suzette38
Odessa, Minnesota
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I have to start by saying this is a beautiful resort and a fun waterpark for the kids. The rooms were nice, food at Willies was good with huge portions.

My only complaint is the noise that you hear from room to room. We were on a second floor room and could literally hear every footstep in the room above us. I asked right after check in if there was any rooms on ther 3rd floor and she said no, but later I heard her checking in a family for the same type room on the 3rd floor. They have quiet hours from 12-7 am. If this is a family resort I think the hours should be 10-7am. The room above us had kids running back and forth and jumping off the beds. We have a 10 and 6 year old that were trying to sleep, with no luck due to the noise. I called the front and they said there wasn't anything they could do since it was before midnight, so I called the room above us myself and asked nicely if they could respect that there were other guests in this hotel and to try keep it down--=no luck... When we checked out the next morning, the lady asked how our stay was, I said ok except for the lack of sleep. Her response was, "you had some rowdy ones above you, ha?". Yes, I said and for that reason we may not return again. She has no response. Really, is that customer service????

Room Tip: If you plan on sleeping, get a room on the 3rd floor