“Closed, Hope Next Venue Gets Everything Worked Out!”
Review of Nectar Wine Bar and Bistro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Nectar Wine Bar and Bistro
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Chef Kevin Nordeen.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This chef both in Maple Grove and Osseo has always been oh so close, but I think he needs some mentoring and guidance to make widespread buzz on the local chef-driven food scene and to drive repeat business with a foodie appreciative audience. Overall I’d say a vision needs to be determined and focused upon and the cyclical nature of the menu needs to be dropped to adopt a very close-in seasonal menu.
Unfortunately, this is the second time this owner is closing and looking for a new location and lease. I hope he finds one and can work out the kinks. As mentioned, both in Maple Grove and in Osseo he’s been oh so close to having a great chef-driven restaurant but comes up just a bit short. It seemed the menu choices were always seasonally off---like cantaloupe salsa in fall or winter or a common summer produce offering in an off-season instead of working with more seasonally available produce. The menu seemed too cyclical with repeats such as an adult crusted interpretation of chicken tenders and a tortilla type crusted fish (which sounded identical to a frozen Costco product). We were always looking for more creative seasonally driven options on the menu and consistently the choices seemed just off. The appetizer menu seemed to be too stagnant as well with that same familiar cycle rotation. I often wondered how stellar the goat cheese and salsa appetizer really was to have had it on the menu for so long, never tried it however. The wait staff in our experiences never seemed to match what the owner had hoped to deliver conceptually---they didn't seem experienced enough as servers in general for that type of concept or know enough about food or wine. I think he could do very well if he would decide who he really wants to be and who he really wants his audience to be and what kind of food he wants to serve. Felt there wasn't continuity or a solid vision happening and that this was a part of the problem here. He's a fine chef and puts out good food, but needs to reassess and fine tune before opening the 3rd store.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Nectar Wine Bar & Bistro is a small hidden gem in downtown Osseo.
The Chef, previously a Chef at Kays Wine Bar in Maple Grove never disappoints. The food is always fresh and the menu is changed every few weeks assuring there is always something new to try. The menu highlights seasonal ingredients so... like me, if you love the butternut squash soup, visit often so you do not miss it!! They also have a great wine list, fun signature drinks and a wonderful assortment of appetizers to tempt your palette. Be sure to order the molten lava cake for dessert:)
The best thing about Nectar.....all of this is offered at a fair price!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was a great, high class restaurant across from a cheap hamburger bar. The food was fantastic, the serving crew excellent. We had the mahi-mahi and trout, both were terrific. The cheese plate options were great and the quality top notch.
In general it was over priced. Even during 'happy hour' we probably payed 50% more than we could have in a restaurant a few blocks away. The cost was the primary reason for a 4 not a 5. Nice place for couples (with strong credit cards). I love little downtown Osseo but it is so out of place here it feels awkward (I'm told they're moving, we'll see where they go)

Reviewed February 2, 2013

First the place is small but comfortable, cool and not obnoxious, and a great atmosphere.

The food was amazing, we started with a cheese plate that had great flavors, and I had a beef dish and my wife had mahi, with both full of flavor and cooked perfectly. We finished with a fruit crisp and cannot wait to go back.

I almost didn't want to write this because it is so good I didn't want the place to be so busy, we can't get in. But they deserve a good review.

1  Thank MinnesotaWT
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We have dined here quite a few times and they never disappoint. The wine list is short but great selections and reasonably priced, the menu changes every two weeks and is always an adventure. We have always had pleasant wait staff who are attentive and knowledgeable on wines and food. Highly recommend!

1  Thank MNtraveler50