“An uneasy 3”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ortonville
North Dakota
“An uneasy 3”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We always check the bed as soon as we enter a hotel room. This time we found something-just not sure what. The bed did not have a fitted sheet over the mattress so it was easy to turn the sheet back. When we did we found something small, dark brown and translucent along the upper rib of the mattress. We though it resembled pictures we've seen of shed bed bug skin--or it could have been a popcorn hull--or something else--hard to tell when you're not really sure what you are looking for. After this discovery, we checked the entire mattress and pad and found nothing except lint, a few small light brown spots on the pad (?) and one short hair. The bottom line is we put the bed back together, slept in it and DID NOT receive any bites. As always, we made sure our luggage was closed and did not leave it on the floor.

When inspecting the bed we noted that the carpet had not been vacuumed close to the bed or in the corners. The two other negatives--A slow draining tub and thin towels.

The positive--Overall the place is pretty clean.

We ate downtown at the Headwaters Bar and Grill and thought they served a pretty decent burger.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank muskrat2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed June 25, 2012

If you have to stay overnight in Ortonville this is a newer motel & is clean and well kept, It has good security and, as a woman travelling alone on business, I felt totally safe there. I stayed here 2 times in the last 3 weeks. The first time I was checked in by a young woman who not TOTALLY inept, but close. I nearly wrote a not too great review, but then I ended up back in the area on work and stayed in some really unsuitable motels, so went back to the Econo Lodge again and, in comparison to the other places in the area it is GREAT ! This time I was checked in by the more than helpful and friendly owner. The breakfast is your basic carbs,

The big problem is the town. It is interesting....big fishing area with lots of campsites...but there isn't any place to eat ! I exaggerate. There is a Subway and a Dairy Queen. The Subway was packed when I was there for breakfast and supper. There used to be a cafe outside of town, but it looks like it has been closed for some time.

My advice-- if you have to sleep in Ortonville this is the place to go. I rate it VERY GOOD, but that is for Ortonville. In a larger town or city it would be AVERAGE.

Room Tip: This is a 2 story motel with no elevator
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank hungrymen
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I knew I was going to be passing through Ortonville and so I made a reservation beforehand. I told them I was going to be there late in the evening, and they were ready for me! It was a wonderful experience, I will have to make sure to stop through Ortonville again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrew A
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We made the mistake by shyly complaining that the hotel didn't have an elevator, and the front desk man/owner BLEW UP at us! He started monologuing about how he just renovated the rooms and put something like $10 million dollars into this facility, (which in reality looked like on oversized generic house). We apologized for the unintended [rudeness], but he went further. We have a couple of African-American friends in our group, and when talking about our evening plans, he turned to them and said, "I'd be careful around here if I was you," in a very snide and insensitive manner. The tragedy of all of this was that we were booked here and then had to return the next week. There is NOTHING to do in Ortonville. It is merely a truck stop town, but for some reason this owner thinks that because he put a minimal upgrade on his hotel, he can charge anything he wants. This hotel is extraordinarily, tragically, unjustfully overpriced. Like the area itself, the hotel doesn't have a single thing to offer other than a rude staff and hard walk up stairs with heavy luggage. I can't believe this place is called an ECONO LODGE. Rude.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
6 Thank IMB87
NYC
Reviewed May 20, 2007

It was a dark and stormy night when we pulled into this Econo Lodge with a sick infant and no other choices. We were whisked up to a clean room with 2 queen beds. The manager even helped my husband carry our various baby things in from the car and made sure we knew how to work the heater. The price was right--$69 with tax--and that included wi-fi, a bunch of cable channels and English muffins and coffee for breakfast. Bathroom was spotless, though the bedspreads were worn. We had a very restful night. This is a well-run budget hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank wslawson

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!