“WE LOVE GRAND CASINO”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Onamia
Minnesota
“WE LOVE GRAND CASINO”
Reviewed October 3, 2009

We LOVE the Grand Casino hotel and casino. We prefer to stay in the older section because it still has "movies in the room" available. I have never had a bad or dirty room. The staff is great! The checkin/out kiosks are a must. You avoid the lines and it does everything for you - even prints you out the keys. The bufftet, Northwoods and Plums resturants are excellent. I am an entry level player but had a casino host sent a gift to my room after having so much fun a small crowd gathered around me and the slot machine. One comment I would make: This is a casino/hotel. This is adult entertainment. This is not Disney World. Hotels with casinos should not have to cater to kids.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Becker, Minnesota
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I have stayed at the Grand Casino Hotel many different times, and my stay is always great fun. The casino and hotel have great staff, and the rooms are very nice. The beds are very comfortable, and the rooms are very nicely presented. There are also many things to do here. There are 4 different restaurants, I had a great experience at the ice cream/coffee shop, a homemade fudge store, a gift shop, an arcade, a pool, and of course, gambling! This is a great weekend getaway, and you are sure to have a great time!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank RLudens2009
st. cloud, MN
Reviewed June 23, 2009

My stay at this hotel was something worthy of the Griswald family vacation album. We had reserved 2 rooms for 3 nights. They somehow bungled our reservations and, even though we checked into the hotel with the online confirmation sheet (showing the correct rooms and dates) in hand, the front desk insisted that it must have been our error. She acted as though she was doing us a big favor by scrounging up two rooms for us. She would have done us a bigger favor if she would have refused and forced us to another hotel. As it was, we got two smoking rooms, though we had requested nonsmoking. For someone who does not smoke, the stench in the room was overwhelming. At the desk they have offered air purifiers and that would have been helpful, but they never came. It would soon become obvious that the stench in the rooms was the least disturbing feature. After the 2 hour drive and the 1 hour wait to check in, I had to go to the restroom as soon as I got to the room. However, I was somewhat confused when after I dropped my bag on the bed and scampered back to the bathroom I discovered that there was already urine in the toilet. It was not from me or anyone in my party, I can only make assumptions as to where it came from. As the rest of my party joined me, we began to look around at the walls and they were visibly dirty. You could take your finger and literally rub dirt off the wall. Better yet, in one of the rooms, on a short wall by the bathroom, a previous guest had written and drawn explicit phrases and images on the wall in ink. Not to out done, in the other room we found the Do Not Disturb door tag lying on the floor (no one had bothered to hand on the door itself), with a big black magic marker squiggle at the bottom. Curiosity got the best of me and as I turned it into the light, I could see that, again, a previous guest had had some fun with the complimentary ink pens. They had written an explicit word underneath the Do Not Disturb phrase so that no one would have to wonder what was happening behind that closed door. Apparently, things are so tight around that hotel that they can’t simple throw away a ruined door tag, but rather they are forced to salvage it with a magic marker squiggle. Now the ultimate demonstration of recycling ruined materials came as we went to turn down the beds. One of the beds had been made with a blanket stained in several places with something red- possibly lipstick, something hard and crusty, AND had a large large burn hole. While all of these things were disappointing and somewhat disturbing, I still held out hope that when I went to the front desk with my list of complaints - namely to get the room purifier that had been promised but never delivered, to get a new blanket without stains or holes, and to inform the staff that there were explicit writing/drawing on the walls- they would do everything in their power to correct these issues, improve my stay, and ultimately preserve me as a satisfied customer. This is where I was truly disappointed. The front desk staff that I talked to was obviously flustered with their jobs and they simply passed me from manager to manger while no one was willing to take responsibility or suggest any action. Finally, I met with housekeeping manager and she assured me that they would take care of everything. Again, I had high hopes. I have to believe that upper management, in any realm, realizes the value of customer service. The most crude businessman recognizes that the $20 saved by reusing a ruined blanked or even the value of a housekeeper’s salary is not worth the cost of a bad reputation. I will never stay there again. I am not one quick to complain or criticize, so when I return home and my friends and coworkers ask how my trip was, they are likely heed my warning regarding this hotel. Well, this is a business lesson obvious lost at the Grand Casino. When we returned to the room later that evening, the blanket had not been replaced, the one wall I had used to demonstrate the dirt had been cleaned, but the other 3 were still visibly dirty, the wall with the inked in karma sutra had a scrap of wallpaper tacked over it, and there was a purifier sitting on the table, but no one had thought it a good idea to turn it on. It seemed as though no one there took any pride in their work. Completely aside from all the significant problems with our rooms, there were little things that further demonstrated a lack of pride and effort in their work. The bedspreads were mismatched. The towels were folded haphazardly, in fact one room was missing bath towels altogether. The countertops were sticky and the AC units hadn’t been dusted in ages. It was amazingly, horrid. I would have expected more from a roadside motel. All I can say is that I was severely disappointed.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank kjmickey
minneapolis
Reviewed April 27, 2009

The beds felt like you were sleeping on box springs the check in time was terrible. no valet to bring us our car we had to track someone down to get it,Gambling was terrible slotss very tight

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank finfinder
Mankato MN
Reviewed March 18, 2009

Be prepared to wait in line a very long time to check in if you arrive between 2:00 and 4:00pm. There were only two employees checking in a long line of arrivals. We had reserved three rooms and had to get in line three times to get those rooms. Took almost three hours to get the three families checked into their rooms. They would not even do the paper work before 2:00pm, even thought we did not need to get into our room at that time, just wanted to get the paper work out of the way. And at 2:00 the line was from the desk to the outdoor doors with only two employees checking people in!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank OsaRadar
Fargo,ND
Reviewed January 21, 2009

We were very satisfied with our stay. The room was very comfortable, the food was very good, buffet had some cool items,
gambling was GAMBLING, hello what do you expect? We found
the slots to be a little better than other Mn. casinos and much
cleaner. (excellent variety). The staff were friendly and courteous, rooms were clean comfy, we will stay there many
more times.

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank notthemamaFargo_ND
Minneapolis
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We arrived at the Grand Casino Mille Lacs and stood in line to check in for about 15 minutes. There are express check in kiosks, but we wanted to check that the two rooms would be together.

We were assigned Room 335 in the "old" hotel. The temperature in the room was about 50 degrees when we first got into the room. We called to have maintenance fix it. They took it apart and said that it would take about an hour for the room to warm up, but that is the best the heater would work.

We went to the pool and came back about hour and half later. The pool was quiet and warm. The hottub was a perfect temperature and very roomy.

The room had warmed up to about 60 degrees F. We called again and they looked again and said they would repair the heater. They brought the parts but the unit was a 1500W Unit versus a the part they had was a 3000W heater. He said that wouldn't work.

We called the front desk and was transferred to a hotel supervisor who told me to come down and get a different room. They gave us room 329. The supervisor also took 25% off the room for the troubles. We proceeded to the new room which was about 55 degrees and turned the heater on.

We then went to the seafood buffet which was a good deal for the amount of food and the quality. It was $20 for crab, shrimp, prime rib, ribs, chicken, carrots, corn, salads, water, juice, or soda, fish, chinese dishes, and several desserts.

We proceeded back to Room 329 and it had not warmed up and decided to keep room 335. They apologized for the problems but had nothing in the new hotel they could give us because it was all occupied. They provided us with blankets for the night.

The hotel was quiet and when pushed came to shove we got the service we needed. Would probably not return for a family get away.

Check-in 4pm, Check-out 11am.
No Wireless Internet throughout hotel, but in the coffee shop in the lobby.
Bath and Body works products
Room was clean and orderly

• Liked — Pool and dining choices
  • Disliked — Customer Service and poor room heaters
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SkatewithWild
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onamia
Eddy's Resort
McQuoid's Inn & Event Center
40 Club Inn
40 Club Inn
#2 of 2 in Aitkin

Been to Grand Casino Mille Lacs? Share your experiences!