“Also a Very Different and Good Experience”

Grand Casino Mille Lacs
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Onamia
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We have stayed at the Mille Lacs Casino hotel a number of times over the years and have never had any problems. And it is even nicer now, since they have done pretty extensive expansion and remodeling.

Our check-in was quick and easy and all the staff we encountered was pleasant. Our room was large and comfortable and nicely decorated. The bed was comfortable and everything was clean. There was a nice easy chair for reading and a desk/table with two other chairs. There were great Bath and Body products in the bathroom which was also very large and clean.

We did not use the pool area on this visit, but it is very nice and quite large. It can get crowded on weekends, but last time we stayed during the week we had the hot tub to ourselves.

We had breakfast at the Grand Northern Grille and had very good food and good value.

The price for a room in this hotel, especially during the week, can't be beat. I don't think there are many comparable hotels that are this nice for so little.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 12, 2008

We stayed one night on Saturday, Sept. 6th at this hotel. We had late check-in and when I called to confirm that afternoon the reservations clerk was very nice and went so far as to remind us to bring in the license plate number of our vehicle when checking in. This turned out to be very useful as there was a Neil Sedaka concert going on that night and we had to park at the back of the hotel far from the entrance. Check in was smooth and pleasant. We stayed in room 285 ( very quiet) which I believe was recently remodeled. The king size bed was very comfortable and the linens fresh. I was worried about the room being smoky smelling as the casino was very smoky but the room was fine. We ate dinner at the Northwoods grill and I had an 8 oz. Lobster Tail, baked potato,green beans,salad and a roll all for only $19.99. There are few places of this caliber near Mille Lacs so we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2008

After reading all of the reviews I was a little hesitant to stay here since I booked my room before reading the reviews. My experience was totally different from all of the other reviews on this board. When I reserved my room I was given a confirmation code and told that I couldn't check in until after 4. I arrived to the hotel and went to check in. The check in process was very swift and the front desk was very friendly (Brett) and chatted with me for a few moments about what the restaurants offered and how to get to my room. I was quite surprised at how nice the room was. The bathroom was incredibly nice with tiled floorings and a double sink. The room was very clean. Although we were missing bar soap and the remote. We called downed to the front desk and they delivered it within 5 mins. The employee tested the remote to make sure that it worked before he left. The casino was nice and I won both times I played there. We went to the northwoods grille for supper and breakfast the next morning and it was really good. I had the ac turned up all the way so my bf knew he was going to be cold so he called down to the front desk and asked if he could have more blankets. They delivered two to him within 10 mins. I was pretty impressed. I had a very nice stay here. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank switzerland29
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I wasn't expecting much, but this was the worst hotel experience I've ever had. The front desk staff was rude and unprofessional, you can tell by their attitudes that this hotel attracts a lot of riff-raff. Our room was ok, but I was at the desk when someone complained about something, and they were told "if they didn't like it, they could talk to security." We tried to order an in-room movie and were given a dislosure up front that if the movie didn't work, we would still have to pay for it. I was there a few years back and it wasn't like this. Maybe they're under new management.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2007

Visited this hotel Nov 2-4, 2007 and the front desk/check in was horrible. We requested ajoining rooms and were told that there were non available for Friday night but they could get us into Ajoining rooms for Saturday night but we would have to come down in th morning to request the change for that night. So I went down and was told they should have done everything upon check in with reserving the different room for the second night. We were told at this point that we could have a late check out fo noon from our current room and then they would get us into at least one of the two ajoining rooms then and we would have to wait until the second room was finished being cleaned. So at noon we checked 9 people (4 adults 5 children) out of our two rooms and moved everything into a standard room. We went out to eat (at which time they were cleaning the other room) we get done with lunch and the cleaning crew is done with the other room. I went to the check in desk to be told it wasn't signed off on yet. I was told to come back in an hour and was given the same response at this time. Finally at 3 I searched out the housekeeping manager that signes off on the rooms and he said all they had to do was call him on his walkie and request it to be signed off on. During all this I'm trying to get 5 kids 6 and under to take a nap because we were having a busy evening and I wanted them to be rested. Can you imagine all of us in that little room. We complained aboutt he horrible morning/afternoon and were told there was nothing they could do. So I wasted 50 of my day on trying to get rooms changed it was horrible.

The ONLY thing you can get for room service is pizza otherwise you have to go to one of the restaurants draging 5 kids through a casino floor isn't my idea of fun. There wasn't much available in this area for lodging but I would definately go someplace else next time I have a group of people.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2007

This is the worst place i have ever stayed in my life, It took 45 min. to check in, the bathrooms were dirty, myself and another family member had to be moved twice, once because of overbooking and the other from a broken bathroom. The staff at this hotel and casino are very rude and they will charge you for things they dont have. I have stayed at hotel and casinos all over the world and i can honestly say that the Grand casino is the bottom of the barrel and should be reported to the Minnesota BBB and be closed. Because of this reason i will never visit Minnesota again and will avoid buying any products from the same.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed April 4, 2006

I will never again stay in this hotel, terrible staff appearence and helpfullness, place smells of cigarette smoke everywhere, lobby, elevators, 1st floor, 4th floors, we had a party room that smelled of vomit and was dirty upon arrival, broken couches,even lobby entry was dirty, meals were poor at best! very overpriced and poor management practices!

Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank OLDER1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onamia
Eddy's Resort
#3 of 5 in Onamia
The Red Door Resort & Motel
McQuoid's Inn & Event Center
Ruttger's Bay Lake Lodge

Been to Grand Casino Mille Lacs? Share your experiences!