“You asked for a more detailed account how bad our weekend went.....”

Grand Casino Mille Lacs
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Onamia
Chaska, Minnesota
“You asked for a more detailed account how bad our weekend went.....”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

1. This past weekend on Friday night 11/23/2012, my son had his 2011 Ford Ranger stolen from the horseshoe turnaround at the hotel entrance. The tribal police did investigate the incident via camera and know exactly who the culprits are. A 22 year old female and a 29 year old male who are local tribal members. My son was “blamed” for the incident because he had his truck running when he walked through the front doors to grab his luggage. It took less than several minutes for his truck to disappear. They have not yet located the culprits or the truck. I inquired about getting a security member located near the front entrance and was told they can’t afford a guard to monitor the entryway. (Ironically when I walked through the isle way between the elevators and the casino area there were 3 guards on duty standing around talking at the pool entry door. Apparently the security at this location is far more important). As far as the truck running outside the hotel entry door, I counted 11 cars running in this area when we left the casino the morning of the 25th.
2. After the truck theft incident where my son had planned to leave and go back to the cities, he had talked to the manager about getting comped a room considering the circumstances because he felt he had to stick around in the hopes of getting his truck recovered and returned. He was basically told “no way are we giving you a room because it was your own fault”. He ended up sleeping with different relatives on the floor of their rooms until he could get a ride back to the Twin Cities.
3. My son is a relatively large man, 6’3” and 280lbs. with arms as large as most peoples thighs. He is a gentle giant by standards. On Saturday the 24th he was getting a soda at one of the dispensers on the casino floor. He was accosted and an attempt was made to push my son out of the way by one of the local self-described gang member as he called himself. My son asked him what he thought he was doing and this guy started throwing out a tirade of names by calling my son the “N” word numerous times loudly and asked him if he wanted to “finish this in the parking lot”. My son just laughed at the guy and walked away from the situation. I am proud of my son for not doing anything else.
4. This morning (I am an early riser), I went out front to drink a cup of coffee and have a cigarette. I was surrounded by 4 young “gang members” as they called themselves. They started to give me a hard time and asked me if I was scared of them. I laughed at them and told them they have “Obviously have no idea what scared is” and I just walked away from these guys as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank thomaswj98

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Elk River, MN
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have been to Grand Casino Mille Lacs many times. Other than the fact that you can't drink (there are no bars), it's a fun place to go. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are a good size, and if you want to go to a bar there is a shuttle that will take you to the Blue Goose for some dancing and cocktails. The buffet at the casion is really very good, and there are a few other restaurants if you want a different dining experience. Over all I would say it's worth checking out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CWolff49
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 23, 2012

They are under renovation; other than doors being closed and some dusty carpet, I'm not sure what, exactly, is being done to the place. They have a "new tower" and an "old tower." We had people within our group staying in both yet none of us could figure out which was new and which was old. Really.

Check in is between 4 and 6. Don't hope to get in sooner...it is between 4 and 6. You can leave your things with a luggage area but don't expect any bellman service or assistance.

We requested a crib three times. The final time was a call to the desk that went something like this: "Would you please send a crib to our room?" Audible, annoyed sigh. "You want a CRIB?!" Another annoyed, audible, pained sigh "Yeah, ok." Click. Forty-five minutes later, a knock at the door. A gentleman holding a pack and play. "You called for a crib?" Yes. "Here" and with that he tossed it (literally) in the room without setting one foot across the threshold of our door. Note to self...don't request a crib!

The room was dirty - food on the floor around the perimeter of the beds, bathroom floor, tub and toilet all had hair and dirt. Beds were not comfortable at all. I thought I was going to roll off the mattress and onto the floor unless I slept in the center of the bed.

Staff members push their way out of the elevators past guests without any eye contact or 'excuse me.'

Pool area is large and seemed clean...all things considered.

You have to walk through a VERY smoky casino in order to get to any of the restaurants. Don't expect the typical casino buffets and great food. Everything seems to move at the speed of a snail with a broken tail here.

We booked this hotel as we thought it was the best option in the area. I wouldn't be so sure about that any more!

Room Tip: Best advice: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank TA_3163
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed October 18, 2012

No regrets, a very nice place to stay. Obviously the connection to the casino is a big plus, but this is a nice property, very friendly service. The rooms are large and the one we stayed in had a comfortable king sized bed. The refrigerator and microwave are nice conveniences.
Everything you could want can be found on this property, you would never have to leave! Things to do, wonderful food (restaurants), convenience and souvenier shopping.

Room Tip: The rooms are large and the one we stayed in had a comfortable king sized bed. The refrigerator and...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vicky T
Eagan, MN
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Room was filthy, wife had me go get a bottle of bleach and we wiped the entire place down. Again, I have yet to stay at a hotel that has a good tv picture, cable or dish should have a good HD signal. What good are HD tv's with snowy pictures?

We went to a concert and they charged $180 for it and it was not worth half that. It was full so I guess people are paying that price, but I can't figure out why.

The casino is what you'd expect. Filthy, smokey, filled with people who can't afford to be in there.

Room Tip: Avoid it, stay in Brainerd.
2 Thank JNB412
Moama
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Very Clean,and welcoming. Our room had a microwave,coffee perculator and fridge.
Rooms were large and the one we stayed in was airconditioned and had a comfortable kingsized bed.
The Casino on the ground floor has a no alchol policy and provided its patrons with free sodas and coffee. The Seafood buffet we had on our first night was of a good selection and well presented.

Northfield, Minnesota
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Clean, welcoming, microwave, fridge. Easy access to the internet. Plus a great pool and spa. Buffet with plenty of selection and everything we tried was tasty. All in a lovely part of the country with plenty to do beside gamble.

Room Tip: Check for AC noise.
1 Thank dgauss
Also consider these accommodations in or near Onamia
Eddy's Resort
#3 of 5 in Onamia
Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Resort
McQuoid's Inn & Event Center
Hallett House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Grand Casino Mille Lacs? Share your experiences!