“Charming, interesting, out of the ordinary.”

and 1 more site!
Outing Lodge at Pine Point
Scandia, MN
“Charming, interesting, out of the ordinary.”
Reviewed December 7, 2010

It's a 160 year old building in the very middle of nowhere-the former Washington County poor house. I give the Outing Lodge high marks for character, interest and charm. It ain't no Holiday Inn. The floors creak, the room was heated with a small fireplace, no TV :-), a dining room fireplace big enough to park a school bus in it with 2 ft. diameter logs, and a real, live sleigh ride thru the woods with horses! The food was very good but I was one of a group of 75 so it lacked a little intimacy. Sunday brunch was a much smaller group and extraordinary. Great wait staff-every request answered instantly.
Smaller than a hotel, bigger than a B&B. Pricey. Can you say-romantic?

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Pictures show comfy & cozy....this place is anything but! There were cobwebs covered with dust hanging from the ceiling, the fire place is a clear fire hazard, the closet was too disgusting to hang anything in, a critter was living in the jacuzzi. On a lighter note... our room came with surround sound...we could hear all of the "entertainment" throughout the building...if you're into that sort of thing. The floor did not look like it had been vacuumed in the past decade, wall paint was cracked & filthy, the bed squeaked to place a bag on it...much less sleep in it, and the lighting was so poor make-up application needed to be done at a hallway mirror. Sleeping in a car would have been a better alternative.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MarcusTwain

Travelers are raving about these Oak Park Heights hotels

Waunakee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We held our daughter's wedding at the Outing Lodge in late August of 2010. The planning began in the fall of 2009, and the staff was unbelievable. They accommodated our every need, and the site is just so cool for a wedding. We held a garden wedding on their grounds amidst the many blooming flowers complete with Hummingbirds flitting around. The rooms worked great for our wedding guests, the breakfast was easily the best we have ever had at any Bed and Breakfast (be sure and check out the home made french toast and apple turnovers), and the main hall was turned into a romantic setting for our dinner that evening. The staff was professional, courteous and very helpful. The food was awesome. We were even surprised by some of the extra details such as special meals for children and water that was provided throughout the day. We had some older folks tell us it was the most romantic wedding they have ever been to. If anyone is looking for a primo venue for their daughters, sons, or maybe your own wedding, be sure and check into the Outing Lodge. We plan to return when we can to simply relax and take in the charm that is the Outing Lodge and the Stillwater Minnesota area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed March 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this Bed and Breakfast and our experience was very disapointing. Our room had been recently painted and the paint fumes were so bad that I could not stay in the room. When we were shown our room the staff commented on the paint smell, but indicated that they couldn't do anything for that. My husband managed to get one of the 3 windows open, (the other 2 had been painted over with fresh paint and were not able to be opened) and we aired out the room for 6 hours before returning to our room. When it became obvious that the smell of the fumes was too strong to put up with (I developed a headache and a sore throat from breathing it in), I went to find someone to ask to switch rooms. There was no staff onsite at all that could be found. I ended up driving home (we lived 30 minutes away) and my husband stayed, since we didn't know if we would be able to get any sort of refund at all, and he works around paint/stain fumes so he was used to it.

The next morning when I returned I talked to a staff member at check-out and she apologized and went to call the owner to request a refund. She said she couldn't get a hold of anyone and that she would have the owner call me the next day. I never received a call, so after 2 weeks I emailed the hotel. I got a response that they were sorry that we had a bad experience, but that once a guest is shown a room they do not issue any sort of refund. Also, that they don't staff the hotel at night, but that there was an emergency phone number we could have called. (This was not given to us at anytime throughout our stay). The hotel issued us a gift certificate good for a future stay that was only worth 1/3 of the price to stay one night in their cheapest room.

No one from the hotel ever did call to apologize, and none of our money was refunded. Based on this horrible experience I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! Not only did they provide very poor customer service, but they expected their guests to sleep in a room filled with paint fumes. Needless to say, we never plan on going back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank hoffk3
Minnesota
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We had high expectations as we drove up the long beautiful drive. I was a bit startled when 2 of the spots in the guest parking were occupied by cars that seemed to be in a ongoing state of repair. But entering the lobby, I was taken by the wood paneling, large stone fireplace and the festive decorations. Unfortunately this was the last positive thing I could say about the stay. We got our keys and we went through a side door to get our bags from the car. In this side hallway were what looked to be and automobile engine and transmission! So we got our bags and took them to the suite, to find it uncomfortable cold. After checking the radiators and finding no heat, we went back to the desk to ask and we found out that the only heat was a decorative gas fireplace in the bed room. Long story short, they did furnish an electric heater, but we had to close off the sitting room and could not use the shower because the bathroom due to the cold. The rooms were dark and the finish was poor and man things needed repairing. The lamp shades were balanced on top of the compact florescent bulbs so that when you attempted to adjust them, they slid off. The breakfast was fine I suppose, but difficult as we had to huddle in front of the lobby fireplace along with other customers to stay warm enough to try and enjoy our meal. Oh and by the way, sometime during our stay the auto parts disappeared from the hall way, but then were found in an upstairs library/sitting room.

Well at least it will be a New Years Eve that we will talk about for a long time

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank larryteck
Ya_Alisa
Reviewed October 15, 2009

When I saw the driveway entrance to The Outing Lodge at Pine Point Park I thought that this would be an ideal set up to host the intimate & nostalgic wedding my fiance and I were planning. We are not formulaic or traditional people, we're well versed and traveled, and at the time we were looking to have a self-containing event in the midst of nature with minimal rules & permits. In retrospect, The Outing Lodge is a perfect fit for people who treasure history, genuineness and not cheesy out-of-box Raddison décor or superficialities. This place is authentic and a tad mysterious.

After I fell in love with this place I realized that there were not so glamorous reviews floating around on this site, and even though everyone has different expectations and impressions from their travels, after the fact I sincerely believe some of those reviews are unjust. Just having a wedding at The Outing Lodge in August 2009 I would like to reflect on it positively and honestly.

Yes, this is an older structure with some wear and tear, and I'd imagine the 'to fix' list is much longer than the funds for execution allow, but those are insignificances compared to the large picture. In August this property was beautifully covered in overgrown vines, untidy Black Susan flowering beds, native Prairie Grasses and mastering Oaks & Maples. Aside from awkward showering or bath-taking or a few on-going projects that may be displayed on the property, this is a stunning backdrop for an event (our was small, 55 people). It provokes an English pub feel more than rural Minnesota feel. Also, let's not forget this is a residence as well, so the owners actually live here.

During our three day stay, my husband and I felt our guests were treated with the degree of assistance and care as if they had visited a family member. Our wedding day turned out to be completely hassle free, things that needed to be taken care of, were in a timely and well managed way! Keeping in mind we are not pretentious, but helpful, this was a smooth functioning event with proper timing. We made a custom grill menu for the event, and tailored the ambiance to reflect our character. The best part of, is that our family stayed right there at the lodge and could go to sleep when ever they needed to, and as to everyone else, we ordered a taxi for them to be taken back to a rental house near by.

The Lodge is in a park, and a short walk will lead you to a number of biking or hiking trails. A short ride will lead you to a number os State Parks & a river.

PS- Every morning the owner would make our guests complimentary custom omelets, to go along with a very healthy breakfast, not a bad way to start a day while vacationing.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank Ya_Alisa
Minneapolis
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I have revisited the Outing on a walk after having been a "guest" and writing a bad review some time back. Our hope was that things had improved and we could possibly give it another try. Unfortunately they have not.

It is still in the same filthy, rundown condition. What amazes me though is how an owner of a regional establishment that is piling up bad reviews can seem to refute them online without addressing the complaints in any substantial way on the property itself.

As of June 27. 2009 is is still a substandard property for the $200 per night.

If management wishes to discount this review as it has others here, I request access to the property and will submit MY pictures as an addition to this review.

As of now I would not recomend this B&B to anybody. Bad value, bad management and a poorly maintained property

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Stillwater
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Chisago City

Been to Outing Lodge at Pine Point? Share your experiences!