“Great food and value”

Tavern of Northfield
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Northfield
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Mountain View, CA
“Great food and value”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

As I was helping my son move into St. Olaf College, I asked our hotel receptionist what restaurant she recommended. She suggested The Tavern, a walk of a few blocks from our motel, and I'm glad she did, even though we had to wait about 30 minutes to be seated that Friday before Labor Day. I had the delicious vegetarian lasagna (a large enough portion that I are half of it for dinner the next night in my hotel room), and my son had the ribs. Before receiving our main course, we both chose the soup of the day, gazpacho, which was perfect as it had been a hot day. The gazpacho was a nice texture with cucumber chunks you could taste; my only complaint is it was a little too salty. I returned to the restaurant tonight on my final night of this trip and ordered a vegetarian sandwich that included an olive tapenade, hummus, feta, and lettuce on a very fresh roll, and had the tasty house potatoes on the side. Both times I ate outside on the patio, a nice people-watching spot. And, prices were very reasonable!

Farmington, Minnesota
“Great location,cool setting, good service, average food”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We ate at The Tavern last night and had an enjoyable evening with friends but the food was not so great. 3 out of 4 of our meals were so-so... a disappointment since I really like this restaurant and I love the cool setting (old stone and brick walls, worn wood floors in a cool college town). I would give it another chance but my husband won't.

Sonora, California
“Good food, good service, good time!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Liked the convenience to hotel (must be especially nice in the winter).

Popular on weekends evidently so allow time to wait.

Visited August 2013
Hartford, WI
“Great price, great food, quick pleasant service.”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Our favorite breakfasts during our long weekend in Northfield. Thank you for your great $4 specials, your accommodation for dietary requests, and your memorable decor.

• Visited August 2013
“Unique Restaurant in a Beautiful College Town”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had lunch yesterday at the Tavern Restaurant in downtown Northfield MN. This out of the way establishment is in the basement of the Historic Archer House Hotel on the beautiful Canon River. You can choose to eat inside or out on the terrace (depending on the weather) and both are very popular. The daily specials are unique and portions are very adequate. The place is usually busy with much local clientele but the servers are friendly and accommodating.
After your meal you should stroll through this beautiful town. One block away is the First National Bank (now a fine museum) where the erstwhile citizens of this community sent the Jesse James gang to it's final defeat almost a century and a half ago.

Visited July 2013