“Okay except for the train. Don't expect to sleep much.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Northfield
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Northfield
Burlington, VT
“Okay except for the train. Don't expect to sleep much.”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The single biggest problem are the trains. They sound whistles at local crossings regardless of the hour, so we were awakened at 1:00 AM and 6:00 AM. Since our room was only about a hundred feet from the tracks, there's no way to say it except that it's loud.

Hotel is reasonably nice, albeit basic. Breakfast was fine. The hallway carpet was not clean, but then we didn't spend much time out there. However, I check into hotels to sleep, and that is a big problem here.

Price was a huge disappointment, high (no discounts) because of a local college function. The value for $130 was terrible, but there wasn't much choice.

Bottom line: Shame on the hotel owners for building practically on top of a train track that's been there since the Civil War. It feels disrespectful of guests. My advice? Stay somewhere else, in Saint Paul if you have to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side from the train tracks. Maybe it would help a little.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Northfield, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to post this review. We understand how important a quiet environment is and we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. We would like to discuss this stay with you further. Please feel to contact us at CCare@carlsonrezidor.com ~Dana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Northfield, Minnesota
Reviewed November 22, 2012

i had to stay here because we had painted our house. And we didnt wanted to smell the wet paint. so me and my mom and dad stayed here my sister stayed at there friends house. When we got to the hotel the staff were really nice. we got in our room which was way in the back of the hotel. The room were nice. when we went to bed a train passed by with the horn so loud it felt like if the train was going to crash into my room. i live in the east side of northfield so the train noise is less noisy.

Room Tip: bring ear plugs
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Northfield, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to post this review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the room and the staff. We will be sure to share your comments with management in regards to the train.

Travelers are raving about these Northfield hotels

nebraska
Reviewed October 22, 2012

As a ambulatory quad, I found this place operating very much on the spare side. The room designated was in the center of the building, so it was roughly equidistant to the front & back entrances with the back entrance slightly closer, but having 2 steps, so not wheelchair accessible. Although, it is doable with a walker in spite of having no railing.
The bathroom came equipped with a small portable shower stool & grab bars that could have been more widely spaced. Anyone using this room should make sure that the rubber leg tips to the stool legs have been replaced since they never were during the length of my stay.
Both the room refrigerator & microwave were below the counter top behind doors making access difficult even when sitting in a wheelchair. The room had 2 chairs; one a sturdy straightback that I could use in pulling myself up in bed, the other, which had arms, was on wheels, hence too unstable for my use.
The breakfast bar did not come equipped with trays & the various serving units were either too high or too far back to use with a wheelchair. Fortunately, I found fellow travelers more than willing to help me me when I resorted to a walker.
I never even attempted to use the pool.

Room Tip: No problem with train noise sleeping on front side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I am truly disgusted at your blatant support of fox news. You should provide a service to all of your guests regardless of YOUR political views! Instead of worrying about your politics you need to make sure the jacuzzi in my room is in working order!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel! Do not support this BS!
Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Mrs N S
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Northfield, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to post this review. We do value our guest's feedback and we are sorry to hear about the frustration with not having Fox news. If you would like to discuss anything further, please feel free to contact us at Customer Care. Our email is CCare@carlsonrezidor.com ~Dana
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed at the Country Inn as part of a conference, and the problems started before I even got there. The location is mis-coded in Google Maps, so I was driving around in the wrong area for 20 minutes before calling for directions. The woman at the front desk was nice, and she said that they knew about the map problem (perhaps they should put a correct map on their website?). When I checked into my room it had a funny smell (cigarette smoke + cheap cleaning fluids). The AC helped the smell, but it was quite loud.

I almost switched rooms, but decided that I'd stick it out. Well, with the noisy AC (and smelly room with no AC) I slept about 3 hours. Over lunch, another conference attendee said that she didn't sleep b/c of noise from an adjacent laundry(?) room; then a guy said he couldn't sleep because of the train, then another woman said she couldn't sleep because her room was next to the lobby. Never have I been at a work event where every person I talked to couldn't sleep because of hotel noise!

I was unimpressed with the cleanliness of the room - my bed was so poorly made that the bottom sheet did not cover the mattress - but then one of the other guests said that her room had not been cleaned at all when she checked in... the toilet wasn't even flushed!!

Breakfast was very unappealing, with even the breakfast cereals generic and a big vat of questionable yogurt. Overall, I tried to get out of the hotel as soon as I could in the morning. This was my first Country Inn, and I will never stay at another one. On the up side, the location is close to downtown and Carleton. With a little TLC the place could really be cute.

Room Tip: Stay away from the train; bring earplugs; don't trust Google Maps; bring Lysol
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MN
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Our bathroom in our room had several different hairs in it that were not ours (floor and sink). I knew the hotel was more full (although not completely) so I just cleaned it up and didn't request a room change. The carpet floor in the room wasn't the cleanest either finding a sunflower seed and some other crumbs.

The pools to be honest, were gross in their lack of cleanliness. I can't think of another time when we've been in such an unclean pool. There were hairs in the pool's water you could feel on your hands when trying to swim and glide by. The floors weren't in the best shape either. As mentioned by others there is a train track in the back, which we did know about ahead of time as it does say this on the website, and I don't know why I didn't think to request a room away from it. It did wake us up twice. The breakfast was ok, had eggs that tasted a little strange, ham, donuts (liked powered sugar ones), waffle machine, juice, etc..

On a few positive notes the breakfast attendent was really on the ball about refilling stuff. Employees seemed pleasant when we saw them. The bed was very comfortable. The location is convinient to downtown, you could even walk if you don't mind crossing the highway.

The lack of cleanliness in this place/ our room means that I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the highway, at least you won't be in the back by the train
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnsonCabin
Sacred Heart, Minnesota
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We have had a lot of experience with various hotels in the area and abroad. We love the staff at the Country Inn by Carlson. The hotel itself is a bit rundown, and never has been of terribly high quality such that we have enjoyed at the Hyatt Spa's or in Vegas locations... but, it's very clean, comfortable, and the staff is really wonderful, which can make up for a lot. The pool is so warm, it's easy to spend the day in it with young children. The one thing that great staff cannot make up for is the train noise. Periodically thru the night and during the daytime, there is a train that runs within 20 ft of the rear of the building, and it blows it's horn for the upcoming intersection. This is NOT cool at 2am with small children. If you stay, make sure you ask for a highway side room - then you only have road noise. Oh, and pull out sofa's in the Suite's are horribly uncomfortable. The middle support bar is visibly higher than the rest of the mattress and cuts right into your back. My kids took the couch cushions and made pallets on the floor instead of sleeping on it.

Room Tip: We like the first floor family suite on the highway side... ?101? You do get door noise when outsi...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jana K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Northfield
Days Inn Faribault
#3 of 5 in Faribault
Boarders Inn & Suites Faribault, MN
Best Western Premier Nicollet Inn

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Northfield? Share your experiences!