“Stay here as your last option”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Northfield, MN
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Northfield
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I cannot stress how loud the trains are that run all night. This is a well
kept hotel with a nice indoor pool, very clean, average breakfast. What I did not realize is that the train is 10 feet from your room always blowing the whistle or screeching breaks. Several times I woke up in a panic only to realize I was dreaming and the train was so loud my heart was racing.
The breakfast was ok, bagels, waffles etc the problem was none of it was very high quality so it is almost waste if the food is old and stale. for example, the fruit was gross fruit cocktail. The meat was diced up something, maybe ham.
The staff was nice but not very knowledgeable.
Not many places in north field but I think the train will ruin your visit, we were up most of the night which made the 7 hour drive very long.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank stepford wife

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Small rooms but comfy beds. The continental breakfast is small and not well stocked. They were constantly running out of juice and other items. Their pricing policy is sneaky. They will jack up the prices if there is something going on in town. They get away with it because there are few options. Nice pool I guess. All the employees seemed to be "new" whenever we had to talk to someone and could never get a straight answer from anyone. Check with other hotels in the area before you stay here.

Room Tip: Check the price for each day before you committ. They will raise your prices based on the day.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank drewdawgq
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I reviewed this property in April 2006 when we were looking at colleges. This past week-end we stayed here while attending graduation. Time flies.

What has time meant for this Country Inn? Well, our room and the public areas were still clean but our “non-smoking” room had a distinctly smoke-like odor. The clerk gave us a spray bottle of smoke remover (yes, that’s what it’s called – probably better not to ask what’s in it) which made the situation better. The room was large, easily accommodating two queen beds, dresser, table, two chairs, and a fridge. There have been some updates, e.g., the light fixtures in our room had been replaced; we could tell because the walls had not been repainted where the old fixtures were installed. The breakfast area is larger and the food selection is now on a par with other properties in this class.

This time we had a room on the back (train track) side of the property. Avoid this if you can unless you like to hear train noises (horns, rattling cars, clickety-clack) in the middle of the night.

The desk clerk was snippy with my wife during check-in but our other interactions with the staff were positive. The clerk may have been frazzled because the place was absolutely full. Our rate for the first night was reasonable but increased over 50% for each of the next two nights, I assume in honor of graduation.

The motel is very well located with easy access to downtown and both colleges. It is still probably the nicest place to stay in Northfield.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here when visiting Carleton College during her spring break. We had a decent enough stay. The room was clean, if a little dated. The pool area was really dark and we couldn't find a light switch - I'm not sure that there was one. Staff was friendly and the location was very convenient to the college. Breakfast was average. However, I was woken up a couple of times during the night by a train passing by right outside our window. The tracks are very close to the back of the hotel. I would probably stay again but I would make a point to request a room on the front side of the building.

Room Tip: ask for one on the front side of the building
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2011

The hotel is close to Carleton and St. Olaf colleges where I was taking my daughter to tour. The hotel offers a pretty decent rate for parents visiting students or the schools. They had a nice breakfast, better than a lot I've stayed at but not fancy by any means. I didn't see more than the staff at check in, but the young lady at the desk was helpful and polite. I would recommend this hotel to others. It is your typical Country Inn and Suites. Had a pleasant trip.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2010

The room smelled so clean that you had to wonder what they were hiding. Chairs were filthy. Don't ask about the bedspreads. No one manning the front desk. Creepy noises from the hallway. The annoying trains were the least of our worries. Based on the overall cleanliness of the place, we were too afraid to eat breakfast. This is the best hotel in town!? Better find another town.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank wisewoman15
C0untry_Inn_Manager, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Northfield, MN, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I apologize and understand that you were displeased with the conditions in your room. This is definitely not a standard at our hotel and I am dissapointed that our strive to give all of our guests the most enjoyable experience was not reflected, and for that I am truly sorry. Thank you for your comments. Feedback from our guests, good or bad, helps us to provide the best service. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this further.

Reviewed September 22, 2010

The Hotel has recently undergone new renovations and is still in the process, i did not ask how long until there finished though. They have the most comfortable new beds, new flat screen tvs in each room and new bedding sets, even though i did enjoy the white ones they use to have. They have changed over to a completely non -smoking hotel. They have a new coffee set up and are working on a complete new breakfast set up, however I did sleep in during my stay and missed breakfast, my boyfriend was nice enough to bring me a waffle, being a man who can eat, he remembered the breakfast most. The staff is exeptional, very friendly and had answers to all my questions. There is a train on the backside however but the hotel offers ear plugs and they try their best to keep you off that side. When i called to make my reservation the woman i spoke to told me they have a special going on called fall getaway so my rate was 65 plus tax which was nice, i save money.I would recommmend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
C0untry_Inn_Manager, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Northfield, MN, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2010

I am so happy to hear you had good time while visiting our hotel. We are begining to make changes, such as new beds, tv's, etc to improve our experience for our guests. I am glad that you were able to enjoy these new features. I hope that you are able to visit us again the next time you are in our area!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
1 mi away
Days Inn Faribault
#3 of 5 in Faribault
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Northfield
Contented Cottage Bed and Breakfast

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Northfield, MN? Share your experiences!