“lost opportunity”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Northfield
Henderson, Nevada
“lost opportunity”
Reviewed December 18, 2010

My daughter and I stayed one night while touring Carleton College. The location is ideal and the exterior was very charming. The Lobby appeared freshly renovated and was inviting, although the furniture could have used a good dusting, and the carpets appeared dirty. The room was small and the bed completely overwhelmed the space. The furniture, limited as it was, was cheap and dated. The bathroom had no privacy whatsoever, was very small (shower only) and was full of mismatched fixtures and tile. Despite these drawbacks, the place exudes a great deal of charm. The basement restaurant was excellent all around. We felt the owner/operator has missed out on an opportunity to make this a first-rate property through use of non-period cheap furnishings, which serves to dampen the guest experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank collegetours

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 27, 2010

There aren't a lot of choices in Northfield, MN, and considering that we booked a night at the Archer House at the last minute, we did pretty well. Since we were only there for about nine hours, it would have been nice to have a cheaper rate; that having been said, I thought it was still a pretty decent value and I only regret that poor planning on my part got us into town too late to really enjoy the hotel and its surroundings. It's an old building, but the owners have done a very nice job maintaining it and making sure that the standard rooms are comfortable and well appointed (albeit small). I was quite impressed by the alert and friendly night clerk who checked us in when we arrived around midnight, as well as the welcome gift of cookies from the Bittersweet Bakery in the lobby. Northfield is a really cute town, and the location of the hotel (on the Cannon River, and close to lots of shops and bookstores) was perfect. The next time we go to Northfield, we'll stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
South Saint Paul
Reviewed August 15, 2010

My husband and I received a gift certificate to the Archer House and used it to celebrate our anniversary. I did some research on the Archer House and found out that it is a Historical Inn that was "the place to be" at one point in time. That time was a LONG time ago!

Our room was very small (only big enough to fit a queen size bed). The bed was very well used and was extremely uncomfortable. The bathroom door barely closed and I had to ram the door back open to get out. The decor was very outdated and the walls were starting to deteriorate. The walls were so thin that I could hear the people next door perfectly clear. My husband and I were so disgusted and disappointed in the room that we decided to leave (luckily we only live an hour away). When we went to check out, I told the the teenage concierge why we were leaving and he told me "well this is an Inn". He also said that even though we were only checked in for two hours we had to pay for the room. Good thing we used a gift certificate! Needless to say, we will NEVER stay here again. It may be a Historic Inn but, they need to update their rooms completely to make it bearable to stay there over night.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hartersl

Travelers are raving about these Northfield hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 24, 2010

I stayed in this Inn for three nights while visiting family in the area. Since I was staying several days, I upgraded to the lovely 2-room anniversary suite. There was a spacious living room and a separate spacious bed room. The bathroom included a jacuzzi tub, the bedding was wonderful, and the sofa was a comfortable place to read. Wi-fi reception was excellent. The inn was built in 1877 and my room was beautifully restored. It is located on the main historic street and I enjoyed taking long walks along the riverfront, and up into the lovely old neighborhoods. The inn is part of the delightful historic downtown area, and the two colleges are also within walking distance. I had a wonderful time there, and it was worth the extra cost to upgrade my room. I will return there again, and I highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed February 4, 2010

This place is a dump. They are in the process of renovating but what does that mean? Some of the lower level common areas are getting fixed up, but fixed up to what? They had no effect on guest comfort.

My room was down a series of serpentine hallways which were lined with furniture caked with dust. These were not part of the renovation. It just looked like they wanted to store furniture between the elevator and the rooms on the third floor.

As for my room - the four post bed was nice but every other aspect was dated. The black whirlpool bath - huge but dated. Oak cabinets - these were cheap when they were bought and look terrible 35 years later. The TV was small, however, I couldn't hear it (nor sleep) anyway since the wall mounted heater/air conditioner was really loud. There were no drapes on the dormer window so I was awakened with the sun rise.

The staff told me that there were no immediate plans to renovate the rooms upstairs. The money isn't there and it may take "years".

I wouldn't usually say this, but when in Northfield, stay at a chain hotel instead of this place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank hgz
VA
Reviewed January 19, 2010

We stayed one night at the Archer House to see Carleton College and St. Olaf's. The location cannot be beat -- walking distance to Carleton College and on the main downtown street.

The hotel was undergoing renovations when we were there -- so the elevator didn't work -- ok because it was just me and my son.

The positives: The staff is friendly. We were able to print off boarding passes at the lobby front desk computer. The breakfast in the basement restaurant (The Tavern?) was SUPERB. They serve a really hearty Midwestern breakfast that will help you fend off the Minnesota winter. (And there is a really nice coffee shop next door which is also very good and friendly and has great baked goods.).

The beds are also first-rate. They've spent some money on the beds and bedding and that really makes up for the dated bathroom in our room.

The negative is that this, 100-year old hotel, is overdue for a renovation, which it is now undergoing. I am excited that in perhaps six months or a year, there will be some new rooms open (there are no 4th floor rooms -- but they are building some suites up there). And the bathrooms need updating from the 1970s. Our room (300) had a 1970s tub with whirlpool jets -- one look and you will only shower there.

Once the renovations are done, I think this will be a great place.

* * *

One quirky part of Northfield that we enjoyed was going to Tiny's and having a root beer and a hot dog. Best root beer I've ever had -- served in frosty mug.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Canandaigua
Reviewed October 17, 2009

When I walked into the Archer House, my heart sank. Remodeling of some sort was going on, and the lobby looked run down, and none too clean.The carpet to the elevator was stained and greasy, and I thought I had made a big mistake choosing quaint over chain. But my room, while lacking in flat surfaces to set things on, was freshly decorated, the bed was comfy, the linens spotless and very good quality, and the bathroom and tub were spic and span. Hallelujah! Breakfast at the Tavern downstairs was bountiful and delicious for an excellent price, and all the staff friendly. The room was small, but quiet and my 8 year old daughter and I slept very well in the double bed while my son visited Carleton. The staff was friendly and the town is very cute. All in all, I liked the Archer House, and would recommend it to anyone for whom a fridge and in -room coffeepot, hangers, and dresser, are not essential. I will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Northfield
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Northfield
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Faribault
Boarders Inn & Suites Faribault, MN
Best Western Premier Nicollet Inn
Northfield Inn
Northfield Inn
#2 of 3 in Northfield

Been to Archer House River Inn? Share your experiences!