“Charming”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Northfield
Evanston, IL
“Charming”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at Archer House for a weekend recently. It is a charming building dating from 1877, with enough remodeling to make it comfortable but not so much that is ruins some of the original features. We stayed in a large room on the third floor; it was comfortable and clean with a four poster bed and a view over the street. There are few "amenities" in the room, ie, no mini-bar or coffee maker, but we didn't care. There is wi-fi and a hairdryer and that's all I needed. The service at the front desk was excellent; friendly and accommodating. The hotel is also conveniently located on the picturesque main street of Northfield with Cannon River and the riverwalk in the rear, so we could walk to the shops and restaurants, and found the arts and farmers market in the park along with a vintage band festival. Doesn't get more "small town America" than that! (Oh, and a political demonstration!) This was clearly the best choice in the area and I would recommend staying there.

Room Tip: The rooms do differ significantly in decor and size and view. I enjoyed the room in the front; we g...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Vicki15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I don't think I've ever written a review for a place I've yet to stay at, but I was just so impressed by the front desk service. I'd left a message checking availability for a last minute same day reservation. I received a call back within 5 minutes, and while it turned out that the Archer House was indeed fully booked, she'd actually taken the time to call two other local hotels to see if she could find an alternative for me!

Wow. Needless to say, I look forward to my next future opportunity to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank mckmpls
WINNIPEG
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My friend and I stayed in the Executive suite for three nights from July 2,3,4, 2014. We loved the place from the moment we were checked in by the charming Marseen. She was helpful, courteous, knowledgeable about the area and a real asset to her employer. Another employee who deserves acknowledgment is Tanner who works the Tavern where we enjoyed many meals and great camaraderie. Our rooms were very clean and nicely furnished. We were on the river side and the river walk and area are beautiful. I cannot say enough about this lovely place and the people who work there. The Indian restaurant serves the best food and the whole experience was wonderful. We are already planning our July 4 trip for next year!!!
Maureen Sullivan
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong with the Executive suite. This was my first time there so I cannot comment on ot...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I travel a lot and I understand that not every property is a Marriott or Starwood property. Some are quaint little bed and breakfasts and that's their charm. Well, this place is FAR from charming! First off, there is a heavy set, African American woman at the front desk who is the most rude service industry person I have ever encountered. I'm gave a description of her so you can avoid her (if possible). She is condescending and looked to start a fight with me and at least two other people I know who stayed there as well.

Examples:
When I asked how to call room to room, she snidely remarked "Umm...use your cellphone?"
When a friend asked for directions to a church for a wedding we were attending, she said "Didn't they give you an address on the card?" (from the gift bag left for us by the bride and groom)
When my friend asked if someone could assist with his luggage since he was parking the car while his wife was with their 9 month year old child, she asked "Do you know where you are?" As if providing assistance with luggage is not a reasonable request at a hotel in Northfield.

She also looked to provoke fights. As my friend was walking past, she said, "Wow, I've never seen an adult wearing Beats headphones before!" Seriously? First off, how is that any of your business? Secondly, do you think Apple bought beats because it only caters to children?

As far as the rooms go, they were extremely old-fashioned - like the kind you would expect to find in someone's house. However, they were not very clean AND they were tiny! I'm from Manhattan, so I'm used to small rooms/apartments, but this was ridiculous! It was pretty much a bed and a bathroom. The room was almost entirely taken up by the bed.

This is not an inexpensive hotel. For their rip off rates, do yourself a favor and find a nicer place with more respectful, courteous staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank OnDaRoadAgain99
Todd B, Manager at Archer House River Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
It took me sometime to respond to this persons review because after investigating, I was so angered by his unfairness, clear exaggeration and demeaning treatment of our staff during his visit. We are a small inn and we very much enjoy getting to know our guests, finding solutions to their issues and providing whatever assistance we can during their stay with us. There are very few small independent inns left in this country because of the economics of running a historic property and the reason the Archer House continues to thrive and improve is because of the support of our guests, our community and our dedicated and honorable staff.

The Archer House River Inn is a small, beautifully renovated 36 room inn built in 1877. We are located at the center of charming downtown Northfield. The Archer House is a bit quirky and there are other hotels in Northfield that can provide lodging to those looking for less charm and more predictability. Our advantage is our location, our engaged staff and the dynamic nature of our building with the Tavern Restaurant, Chapati Cuisine of India, Bittersweet Café and A Bag Lady and Paper Petalum Shops all under one roof. Renovated over the last 5 years, all of our rooms are well appointed and kept very clean by our wonderful housekeeping staff. While we have many guests who choose one of our 11 Cozy Rooms because of their value and charm, for others our 25 Large Rooms, Executive Rooms or Suite are a better fit.
The guest booked our smallest room type (A Cozy Room with one bed – the photos, name and the description clearly describe what is offered). At the time when the guest made his reservation, the hotel was just 31% sold. He had a choice to book a Large (Also one bed but with a sitting area and larger bathroom for $30 more per night), Executive (Two Queen Beds) or two of our four Two-Room Suites at but chose a Cozy Room. The guest booked his room over Carleton College’s Alumni Weekend when we do raise our rates by $40 per room. If we were in Manhattan, we would double or triple our rates over event weekends but we want to be fair as we can. We do raise our rates even on our cozy rooms over those dates in order to be able to support our mission to preserve, maintain and enhance our historic inn while providing year round employment to our staff. I understand the guest came for a wedding and not for the event weekend but he could have booked a spacious two room suite for $229 that weekend rather than our smallest room. Most of the time the Archer House River Inn’s room cost between $89 and $229 – A bargain given the renovation, charm, location and what similar properties charge around the state and the country.

We will continue to improve and strive to meet the expectations of all of our guests. We want our guests to get to know us and enjoy our property and our wonderful community. When guests are unhappy we really do try and go out of our way to find a solution as we choose to be in the business of providing hospitality. We love our guests and our greatest joy comes from the connections we make with our guests regardless if they are with us for a getaway weekend or those who travel across the globe to stay with us for a week as they settle their child in at one of the colleges.

Travelers are raving about these Northfield hotels

Pok, NY
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I recently attended a 3-day conference hosted by Carleton College, and while other hotels were available in town, many of us chose to stay at the Archer House. The convenience of being within walking distance to campus and to the shops and eateries in town was a major factor in my choice of this hotel. The front desk personnel were very friendly and the room was comfortable with the expected amenities (air conditioning, TV and free wireless). I had several meals in the Tavern restaurant (one dinner and two breakfasts). The food was good (but breakfast service was a bit slow). This hotel has a great view of the river, and a lovely front porch. I'd recommend the Archer House to anyone planning a visit to Carleton/St. Olaf Colleges.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with a jacuzzi tub!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Susan S
Blaine, Minnesota
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Yes, it is very historical and I appreciate that, but with what they are charging, I expected more.

I liked the woodwork throughout the hotel. What I did not like was that there were several areas within the halls and room that you could smell the must. The Tavern Bar had a bartender that was rather short with us and it was not overly busy at the time. He seemed rather bothered when one of us asked him what kind of beers he had on tap and then another asked what kind of wine was available. He could have been more polite about it, afterall it is his job to serve us!! The prices on the menu did not match the prices on the website of the Tavern Restaurant.

Overall, too expensive for what we got. Will not stay there again!

Room Tip: No pool available. NA on the room service as we did not utilize it. We were on the river side and co...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank LoriMN12
San Francisco
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The Archer House is perfectly located for people visiting St. Olaf or Carleton Colleges. The hotel staff is mostly friendly and helpful, and tries hard to keep the 130-year old place functioning. Fans of historic hotels will enjoy the old rooms, the creaky staircases, and the very authentic Lounge. Fans of modern comforts and conveniences may struggle with all this authenticity.

Room Tip: If you need any space, avoid the "cozy" rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Northfield
#3 of 5 in Faribault
Northfield Inn
Northfield Inn
#2 of 3 in Northfield

Been to Archer House River Inn? Share your experiences!