“Great Getaway”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Nisswa
Chicago
“Great Getaway”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Wife and I went to Grand View Lodge for first time end of Sept using the free golf package....4 days/4 nights. It could not have been a better, getaway vacation. The Great: (1) our cabin (129 on Gull Lake). Quiet, on the beach, warm during nights of 30 degrees, perfect size. I was afraid close to the water it would be too rustic, mildewy, but it was neither. Might be noisy during summer when kids are plentiful, but not in Sept. Also, very close to nightly bonfire on beach. (2) Friendliness of staff. From waiters at Northwoods Pub (one personally got us ice for our room after dinner at the pub) to the female who did the complementary bike ride (can't remember her name), to staff at morning buffet, to the guy who rented us the pontoon boat, everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. Example, when I was trying to figure out what time we would be back in the afternoon to p/u the pontoon boat, and I asked the guy at the pool, when he would be back after lunch, his answer was, "Sir, it's all about you. Whatever works for you, I'll be here." Refreshing! The Good: Golf. We played the Preserve Golf Course. Beautiful course. I asked Danny at the pro shop if there was anyway my wife and I could play as a twosome, and he didn't flinch. He put us between two foursomes by ourselves. Again, refreshing. The Not good: The Jacuzzi bath in the cabin....don't think the hot water heater was big enough to heat the water as hot as my wife likes it, but it was still okay. Seriously, that is my only Not Good. Everything else was perfect. Only thing I might change is I might check into renting a boat from one of the outside boat shops, only because the pontoon boat Grand View provided showed it's age. I initially wanted a runabout boat, but boat guy (I think his name was Mark) mentioned Grand View's runabouts require a person to drive the boat. He then instantly mentioned he would personally call one of the outside boat places and have them deliver a boat to Grand View if we still wanted to get a runabout w/o a driver. Refreshing. One last vision of Grand View Lodge....second morning there, I went out on our porch with my Kindle. 5 minutes into my reading, a squirrel ran by the porch with a marshmallow in it's mouth. (Along with setting up the bonfire every night with fresh wood, the staff also puts out marshmallows, chocolate, graham crackers and metal skewers on the picnic table for s'mores). 45 seconds later, another squirrel ran by with, yes, drum roll, a full sized, still wrapped Hershey's bar in its mouth. Too answer your question, I never saw the third squirrel run by with the graham cracker.
That, is Grand View Lodge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank OBChicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Edina, Minnesota
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I were just married at Grand View in October. First and foremost they have the greatest wedding coordinator/planner/mastermind/friend, Maggie. No words to describe how much we enjoyed working with Maggie over the past year and half of planning. Highest marks possible for the service she provides.
The resort is such a beautiful place; the main reason we picked the location for our wedding. Our families stayed at the Roy Cottages and my wife and I stayed in the Roy Cabins. Both are very new and beautiful buildings.
The reception that we held at Grand View was definitely not the most expensive they are capable of hosting, but all our guests continue to rave about the location, service and the food. My good friend just called to talk about how good the salmon was???
My wife and I look forward to several return visits in the future. It will always hold a very special place in our hearts.

Room Tip: It is hard to beat the Roy Cottages and Cabins, but we have also stayed in the Golf Condos on The Pi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jtdman37
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just returned from staying there for three days to kill time while my kids school had five ridiculous days off from school for MEA. We arrived after what was apparently a very busy weekend to discover that most of the resort had shut down despite GV still charging premium prices for one of their condos. Only one restaurant was open, had to call around the resort to find someone to open up the (very nice) pool and waterslide so the kids could use it...twice we were shut out. Staff was no where to be seen. Condo was nice as to be expected from GV, but a summers worth of use was clearly on display: broken chairs, dirty carpet, grimy bathroom. SPA was great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Minnesota
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Grand View Lodge. We happened to go over MEA weekend so there were kids EVERYWHERE but GVL had lots of activities to keep them busy and out of our hair. We had a great casual meal at the Northwoods Pub in the basement of the lodge. The weekend buffet breakfast was delicious and had all of the traditional breakfast foods. The continental breakfast on Monday was decent but not quite what we were hoping for.

The Glacial Waters Spa on the resort property was amazing! The prices are pretty steep but you're paying for a true relaxing spa experience. I recommend going early and spending some time with a good book in the relaxation room sitting by the fire and sipping some coffee or tea. The services I received were top notch. Don't let the prices scare you here, it's worth it to splurge on a service or two! After your services are done the locker room is loaded with products and styling tools that you can use to get yourself ready. The whole experience was fabulous!

My husband golfed at the Pines and thoroughly enjoyed it. He said the greens and grounds were impeccably kept.

We stayed in a duplex cabin that was perfect for us. It had a mini fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker. There was a wood burning fireplace that we attempted to use but we never really got a good raging fire going. Next time we go we're doing to bring a couple of Duraflame logs from home and a big box of matches. We had a view of the lake and were just a short walk from the Lodge (which is adorable and historic).

We would recommend Grand View Lodge to anyone looking for a north woods getaway. There is enough to do there to keep anyone busy - couples, families, etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CycloneTravelers
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed October 18, 2012

While the main lodge is historic and grand, the condos are awesome. The golf courses are very nice, the grounds are wonderful, and I have no regrets in booking this place. There is so much to do in the area, great food, fun shopping, golf with a bit of a challenge, a little fun for everyone. I would highly recommend this as a destination, and if you are in to golfing, their golf 'packages' are a terrific bargain. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The condos are very quaint, stone fireplaces, great views!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The golf courses are great, especially the Pines. Beautiful setting and something for all in the family-beach on the lake, golf, lovely spa, tennis. Very historic lodge and cabins. Newer cabins and condos also. That said, you need to be very specific about what you are booking and ask lots of questions because the accommodations vary in age and type. Also some are two story and require climbing stairs. Be sure to ask if newer, older, stairs, or ground level so you will get what you need. Also ask how far your cabin is from the main lodge- do you want to walk or drive to dinner? Full range of spa offerings with great staff. Morning buffet in main lodge is really great and do not miss Walleye dinner. Staff professional. Love the little coffee shop.

Room Tip: Ask lots of questions as accommodations vary
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I came here with family. The property is lovely and well cared for. The restaurants are pretty good but not great. The Italian place was the best, by far. There is a lot to do in the area, and downtown Nisswa is a lot of fun. The biggest problem was a lack of towels for the pool and beach. It was quite annoying to fight to get a towel. The breakfast buffet is nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nisswa
Madden's on Gull Lake
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Lost Lake Lodge
Lost Lake Lodge
#5 of 7 in Nisswa

Been to Grand View Lodge? Share your experiences!