“Nice cabins, nice employees, irked by 15% service charge”
Review of Lost Lake Lodge

Lost Lake Lodge
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Nisswa
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The staff could not have been nicer, as were the grounds. Couple of things of note. If my kids were younger, this would be almost ideal. I have two late teen children, the beach/kayaks/water activities are too young for them. We loved the cabin, but to do anything we needed to drive, i.e. biking on the paths, hiking, eating ...

The one bedroom cabin truly has no cooking facilities, they have a fridge and a microwave, not even a bottle opener. The food in the restaurant was very good as was the service and the ambiance, no complaints, prices seemed reasonable. Coffee in the morning was also good, and always full.

My ONLY true complaint is that after reserving and paying the deposit, the e-mail confirmation indicated a 15% "service fee". Really, that seems like it should have been mentioned when I booked the room, what "service" was I getting? It's not a true resort, there's no pool, sauna, hot tub. It's really a nice restaurant in the lodge, there were a couple of old Kayaks that I could use, that's about it. The couple of trails on premises were not maintained, there were so many downed trees, and it did not happen overnight. The cabins are not cheap, so 15% is a pretty significant chunk of change. It seems disingenuous and really rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't let it affect my good time, but it just left me with a bad taste.

With older kids, a larger resort would probably have been better. But we had a lovely sunset from our cabin.

Room Tip: Our cabin had a lovely inlet/sunset view. Lots of them did. I'd choose the same again.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank debbie_msp

Reviewed August 8, 2014

If you are looking for a nice little get away try Lost Lake Lodge. They offer all the amenities one would need for a cabin experience however they go way above and beyond on their food offering. If you want to avoid cooking and preparing food and enjoy great meals this is the place to go. Breakfast choices are great and the dinner offerings are taken to another level. The food is nothing short of spectacular!!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Conrade20
Reviewed June 1, 2014

This place has so much going for it....location, atmosphere and fabulous food. We were there for an all inclusive book club weekend. The resort really reflects north woods feel: carpet patterned with fish, tiny pine trees on wall paper, knotty pine wood walls, and very cool key chains shaped like fish and bears. This place has enough room to host a fun family reunion. Enough romance for couples. Activities for kids, plus a quiet beach. Loons were swimming along the shore. Very relaxing. Lots of extras included like canoes, kayaks, bicycles. Motor boats rent for extra. Lost Lake Lodge oozes history. Breakfast and dinner were included in our package, but the restaurant is also open to the public. Gourmet local food, but affordable menu. The walleye dinner was the best I've ever had. Also keep in mind, you don't want to sleep through breakfast. It would be a shame to miss such an innovative menu. unique quiches, omelets and pancakes....as well as standard eggs, hash browns, fruit. Quite an enticing selection. Also Flavorful homemade pastries and caramel rolls. About 14 cabins, so personal attention from the staff ensure a lovely holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Julie K
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Went here on vacation two summers ago!!! What a relaxing, wonderful place!!! From our first night late arrival care package, to the slightly sad send-off by the terrific staff, Lost Lake was a tremendous experience!!! Almost seemed like you were in the middle of nowhere, but were really only a few minutes drive from almost anything you might need that wasn't already provided!!! The food was amazing, the cabins comfortable and clean!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Dubrodlic
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I am from the East Coast, and just started visiting Minnesota three years ago. Lost Lake Lodge has quickly become on of my favorite places in the country. First and foremost, the food is outstanding. To have these kind of meals included in your package is unheard of. The setting is idyllic. It's relaxing, quiet, beautiful and peaceful. There are numerous activities to do at the Lodge, and many more on the surrounding lakes and in the surrounding towns. Great for families or for couples. HIGHLY recommended.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NativeDC
Reviewed June 20, 2013

To start with, our family started coming to Lost Lake over 30 years ago when I was a young child. I took a break while living out of state and starting a family, but have been coming back about every other year for the past 6 years.

This year, I brought my parents and two younger children (11 and 9). We stayed in the 3-br cabin (17) and were very happy with the large layout and the overall amenities. They must have redone the beds as they were wonderfully soft and having a private bath for each room was great. There is no TV, but I'd be disappointed if there was. We really enjoyed our 4-day stay and enjoyed most of what the place has to offer.

A couple of items which I think others have stated that can continue to be improved is the overall service (speed). Now considering that this is a relaxed place, I don't expect fast. What I did see is that it seems that they were always one server short and that reminders were needed as they moved from table to table. I loved the breakfast selections and found the dinner menu quite nice. I do wish they offered at least one special a day (not just one or two days a week). Since staying here is not cheap, I do expect a high level of quality and service.

We loved playing on the quiet Lost Lake compared to the busy Gull Lake side and the children's program was very nice. One minor comment is that this year they were trying to charge to use the new paddle boards at their beach. My kids were playing on them for two days along with some other kids before we all were told. I personally feel that all non-powered items should be free and I shared that with management.

Overall, this was a delightful and relaxing four days and we already made reservations for next summer. I would also consider coming here just as a couple to enjoy the fall season-this is a romantic place too.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Keith D
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family has been visiting here for 6 years....sometimes once a year, sometimes twice. We've stayed in many of the cabins, and love them all. Of course, we have our favorites, but you can't go wrong no matter which one you choose. Personally, I love the rustic character of the cabins, and they are always immaculately clean.

Our most recent stay was early in June, when the whether was sub-optimal, but no matter. It is still a relaxing, fun time. The cabins have been updated for this year, with new bedding (beautiful!) and lovely new mattresses. Nice! Made a great place, even better!

The food was, as always, extraordinary. Never had a bad meal here. I love the ambience.

You can't go wrong. Peaceful. Quiet. Relaxing. Fun. The stress always melts away the minute I hit their driveway.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nisswa
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
2 mi away
Grand View Lodge
Grand View Lodge
#1 of 7 in Nisswa

Been to Lost Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!