“Great Family Place with Adults in mind”
Review of Lost Lake Lodge

Lost Lake Lodge
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Nisswa
Northfield, Minnesota
“Great Family Place with Adults in mind”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We LOVED our time at LLL. The kids keep talking about our time there...almost a year later. They loved the scavenger hunt, kayaks, swimming raft, crafts, child activities, etc. My husband and myself appreciated the welcoming staff, wonderful food/wine knowledge. We would have loved to have had several of the staff be our child care providers...they were that great with our three boys (during activities and at meal times). Thank you for the wonderful memories! We were excited by the opportunities each morning and will be back for sure! Thank you for the low key and high class experience!

The Boardman Family.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KAREN B

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Me and my 5 high school girlfriends just spent a three night stay and I must say we loved it! We are all in our 40's and well traveled and we thought the service was great! The food was fantastic! The cabin was perfect for our needs,a little outdated but so what! Very neat and clean! Very quiet and relaxing! We rented a pontoon for one of the days and it was so fun and convenient! We had Valerie for our breakfast waitress and she was awesome! My one girlfriend is vegetarian and they accommodated her very well! Will stay here again! Thanks Lost Lake Lodge!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Acuragirl90
mpls
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our family went to Lost Lake Lodge for a special occasion meal specifically because it advertises gluten free options. We have one person in the family that must eat gluten free. When we were there, they explained that they completely understand cooking gluten free and we were not to worry. We noticed the tables had not been well cleaned from the brunch service earlier as there were crumbs all over. The food was OK, but not great. There was only one other table occupied while we were there. Unfortunately, our daughter spent the entire afternoon and evening very, very sick having clearly ingested a significant amount of gluten in her "gluten free" meal. We called the lodge to let them know and they were very sorry and offered us another meal later that week free of charge. No one in the family was willing to go back! Even for FREE! Also, they called us again having done some research online and said they had learned a lot about gluten free food and kitchen management from our experience! We were extremely disappointed in the overall experience and still had to pay for a meal that made our daughter VERY ILL! Won't go back! EVER!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mary m
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We just returned from a 4-day, 3-night stay at Lost Lake Lodge on Gull Lake Narrows just outside Brainerd, Minnesota.

This is the second time we've stayed here- the first being two summers ago.
Overall the resort is nice and certainly clean and well-maintained. The best part is that instead of a single large building with hotel-style rooms, you get your own cabin with kitchen, living room, fire place, and private bathrooms. In our cabin each room had its own bathroom, I seem to remember the same thing last time but I'm not 100% sure that all rooms are the same although it'd be a pretty safe guess that they are.

However, you also pay for this luxury- $180/person for the first two people and $140/person for the next two people- in our case. This is also PER day, for a total of $640 per night! That is not a cheap room by any standard! The rooms are clean and cozy but are not updated-in fact they are disappointingly outdated. With linoleum floors in the entry, kitchen, and bathrooms, hard high-wear-type carpets that you might find in a department store, as well as cheap fixtures throughout and very hard uncomfortable beds- I called them "prison mattresses"- the rooms are nowhere near worth this price.

The price does however also include breakfast and dinner. The menu looks very nice and indeed the selection and nightly dinner specials are good. The food at breakfast was mostly terrible, the food at dinner was overall pretty good, and the service at both, with one exception, was also terrible. The eggs I had at all three breakfasts (scrambled, in-omelet, and benedict) were over-cooked, as was the sausage. I generally have better eggs at Denny's than at this place. The dinner was better- all the food was good except the shrimp which was overcooked every time I had it.

The service was also an issue, a big letdown quit frankly. There was one server we had at one dinner that was fantastic and if you can, try to request her- her name is Nikki and she was great fun, witty and playful, helpful and attentive-she provided the service I expected at a place like this and even more so. All other servers were terribly slow, inattentive, and forgetful. It took so long to get condiments upon request that the food would get cold, and drinks would sit unfilled for so long that nothing but ice remained for many minutes. It took one server 15 minutes to return to the table after we ordered to explain that the special we ordered 15 minutes prior was no longer available and when she came back to take a re-order she didn’t even bring a menu with her. My wife and I were perplexed- isn’t that common sense?

Remember the food is part of your price, so this is why I’m mentioning it here. For $640/night I expect far more than 2-star rooms and service that is surpassed by that provided at Steak n Shake- a fast food joint with service.

I teetered on a 2-star vs 3-star overall rating. The resort is very quiet and relaxing and the overall service (excluding wait staff) was very good. The rooms are no more than what a 2-star hotel might be although they are clean-so that’s 3-stars from me. Breakfast was a 1-star experience with terrible food and terrible service. Dinner was a 4-star affair and if not for Nikki on that one night I’d rate dinner 3-stars for bad service but good food. If not for the terrible service I would have given dinner 5-stars but the service was just that bad and since service is part of the dining experience, it cannot be discounted.

To recap: I’ve given the overall experience 3-stars. Breakfast is 1-star with terrible food and terrible service, dinner is 4-stars for good food and terrible service with one exception. The rooms are 3-stars for 2-star accommodations but provided in a clean and quiet environment with good room services. The price adds to this 3-stars rating. You get what you pay for and at this level of cost, the quality of the rooms and level of wait staff is far below par. I would not stay here again unless the is price is greatly reduced and/or the rooms and service greatly updated.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Denvervacationer2010
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We are entering our FIFTH repeat year at Lost Lake this week. Our kids (now 8 & 11) love it and we love the small environment where we can get back to basics. No TV is GREAT! How often can you just hang out all day and then come in for an AMAZING meal!! The staff there even offerred to babysit our kids when they were younger so we could have a night out. Almost all families we meet are on their 3rd, 10th or even 15th repeat visit! It isn't cheap...but we wouldn't go anywhere else for our summer getaway...so much better than the chaotic mainstream locations!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LovinMinnesota
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Saw the bad review from July 2010. We stayed the same month had opposite experience. Staff very accommodating, even making food for my daughter with special diet. My family loved it. It was very expensive but it is the way to go if not driving from home with ability to bring food, gear, etc. We came from out-of-state and came with ourselves and clothes, that's it and did not want for anything. Nothing better than rolling out of bed, walk up a short hill for great b-fast. No worries.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank T-Brock
Kansas City
Reviewed August 30, 2010

It was our first time visiting Lost Lake but I could see returning in upcoming years for sure. Our four-year-old had a blast and the meals were wonderful. The kids program was a welcome addition and we had so much fun on our nature walk.

Pros - Beautiful grounds, excellent housekeeping, inexpensive local activities, easy boat rental, fishing poles, great beach, amazing food, friendly staff. Cons - Somewhat pricey and the restaurant has a little bit of a split personality (wants to be family-friendly but still a special occasion option for people not staying there, so that stressed me out a little bit if my son was antsy), and wow was I happy to get back to my own bathroom at home with the good water pressure and the hard water! !

Also - I didn't mind the lack of TV but some families might have a problem with that. Our cabin had spotty cell service which was also a little bit of a hassle, but I think the cabins closer to the lodge wouldn't experience that issue.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank JBR777
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nisswa
Madden's on Gull Lake
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Quarterdeck Resort
Quarterdeck Resort
#5 of 7 in Nisswa

Been to Lost Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!