“Nostalgic and a wonderful breakfast”
Review of Whistle Stop B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New York Mills
Whistle Stop B & B
Princeton, minnesota
“Nostalgic and a wonderful breakfast”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our first night we stayed on the vicking train car. It was a wonderful experience and a opportunity for my husband and I to talk a little about what it must have been like growing up and riding trains by means of transportation. We enjoyed the ambiance of the car and the wonderful breakfast that was served in our car the next morning. We slept so peacefully the bed was fantastic and comfortable to sleep in. The second night we stayed at the santa fe cottage and again we enjoyed another wonderful experience. Our hostess was very helpful and very gracious and a wonderful chef. Thanks again for a wonderful stay. God Bless.

Room Tip: Get on the internet and pick a room that will fill the needs you have.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
North Carolina
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed here while visiting family in the area. My room, which was in the main house, not one of the rail cars, was very comfortable and well-furnished. The owner was very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was wonderful!

Room Tip: Pacific Northern is a spacious room with a nice, private bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Because my sister in law and I had both recently retired from Railroads; I had wanted to stay in one of the cars since staying in the B & B house years ago. I gifted her and myself a nite at the Whistle Stop. Neither of our men would have realized how these railcar suites are also a reflection of our careers and the railroad's past life. We knew it was only the Wealthy businessmen or Railroad barons that would get to ride these kinds of cars. I loved the stunned look from my Sister in Law as we stopped and got out and she was ready to head to the house. We both were overwhelmed at every gorgeous, clean and well thought out detail of our stay in the Viking car. We had no problem with the railroad horns at night; but if a light sleeper...bring some ear plugs- cause you are still going to be loving the railcar experiance. My SIL threw open the back door of our car, and enjoyed the sound even louder! LOL. And then after a wonderful sleep...in the morning, we received our warm basket of exquisite breakfast and every morsel eaten. It was to die for. Go here...you will NOT be sorry!!!!!

Room Tip: Each car is beautiful...as are the rooms in the house. But our favorite is the Viking Car. Luxury, L...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Hubby & I planned to stay here for the weekend but didn't even last 1 night. The train car we were to stay in was in the sun and the air-conditioning in the car had not been turned on and the inside temp was 95. After several hours of running the 2 air-conditioners at full speed it had cooled down to a balmy 85 by 11 p.m. The water in the refrigerator was just as warm as the train car as it was set to the warmest temperature possible - the hostess had put a fan in the window but wasn't sure what direction to have the fan running so it was bringing in the very hot humid air from outside. We ended up having to leave in the middle of the night as it was too hot to stay. Would advise not going in the summer or being tolerable of very hot humid temps (inside and out). Imagine staying in a tin can in the summer.

Room Tip: Either stay in the B&B or stay in one of the train cars in the winter time.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Andover, Minnesota
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We've stayed in a lot of B+Bs but this was our first train car. If you are a train buff or if you enjoy spacious accommodations, this is the place for you. We thoroughly enjoyed the luxurious and fascinating memorabilia. Jann's hospitality and breakfast were outstanding. Although the train tracks were very close to our car their whistles and passing sounds did not bother us. They just added to the atmosphere. If you are in the area, make sure you take the opportunity to stay here.

Room Tip: Our traveling companions brought ear plugs, but we did not. The train noise did not bother us.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Our's was a spontaneous visit - truly delightful; actually in New York Mills for business. The Palace was certainly fit for a step back to a turn of the century time to relax and romanticize. The train whistles in the night did cause me to stir but the clackety-clack of the wheels lulled me right back to sleep. The full breakfast delivered to our car was delicious and a wonderful closure to a magical stay. The attention to detail in the hospitality was top notch.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tigerton
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We have been staying at the Whistle Stop B&B for about 16 years now and about twice a year. I am a train lover and my wife loves it too. We have become good friends with Jann and Roger and this last visit was just one year after Roger's death. He is greatly missed. I have watched them rebuild two of the train cars and can say that it was alot of work and a true labor of love. They made the cars so beautiful with the care they took with the wood work and the old time atmosphere. The outside of the cars also look great. They are all very comfortable and one is even wheelchair accessible along with the Santa Fe cottage. And one can not pass up the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful breakfast the Jann serves. Yoo won't go away hungry! Granted New York Mills is not exactly a bustling town, but Detroit Lakes is only about 35 minutes away and Fargo is only about an hour and ten minutes away, and besides we just like to go and relax and visit with Jann and Lori and Punkin and Rainey.
I highly recommend this B&B for a wonderful get away no matter what the occasion, you won't be disappointed!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The only tip I can think of is to make reservations early to get the car you would like. Also just f...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Perham
Brookside Motel
Brookside Motel
#2 of 5 in Wadena

Been to Whistle Stop B & B? Share your experiences!