“Not for Dogs”

Belle Plaine, Minnesota, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Not for Dogs”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Been there two times to camp first time my wife and I and my lab decide to swim. we see a sign for no dog in pool area. so we decide to set a pictic table 10 feet in front of the sign out side the pool are so we could swim. Then here come a dog hating Ranger aproarching our picnic table and tell us dog not allowed in the pool area. I guess in front of the sign is still the pool area. so we left with us scraching our head were the pool area is. Second time we camp same the folling year same ranger approaches our quiet relaxing camping area with our quiet sleeping lab on a 10 ft leash and a second dog we have gotten also sleeping. She said our leashes need to be 6 feet max. 6 feet!!! how cruel. well I guess we are in trouble again. another words not a dog freindly place. lot of other state park that are not so strick on dog. we will go there next time. But the park in very pretty. but we love our dogs

Visited July 2012
11 Thank Joshua V

Onalaska, Wisconsin
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“great place to swim”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

nice swimming hole, close to town. We got in on a free day at the park.

Visited June 2012
New Ulm, Minnesota
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Great State Park right on the edge of town”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

This state park is located adjacent to the City limits of New Ulm, Minnesota. As with all MN state parks there are lots of walking paths, some with great views of the Cottonwood River. There are three camping areas, the first has electric water and sewer hook ups. There is a new and modern bathrooms with showers. The second is non electric and has no water or sewer hook ups but is served by the same monern bathrooms. Then there is the rustic sites. They have an outhouse and no showers. A four option is the group camp on the other side of the Cottonwood River. It is a former WWII POW camp converted to accomodate large groups. The cabins are large but are only sleeping rooms. There are modern bathrooms with showers and a central kitchen and dining facility. Bring your coffee maker and you own towels. You are responsible for cleaning the facilities before leaving.

Back at the main part of the park you can enjoy the large sand bottom pool which is filtered and clorinated. A beach surrounds the entire pool. This is very popular with families.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank ecodevo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I am traveling thru town & wanted to...”
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I am traveling thru town & wanted to drive into the park at 9:00am to look at the beach to see if this is a place I would like to bring my family. I spoke with the woman at the gate & NO WAY was I gonna get in there without a permit. I was just passing thru town - told her I would only be there for 4 minutes. BUT, nope - couldn't do it. I am leaving, angry as can be. I am sure there are rules, but- I am alone-in a dress & heals. COME ON - VERY DISSAPOINTED.

2 Thank dizzyrules
minnesota
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“great camping with a beach to boot”
Reviewed June 28, 2008

This park is in the top five most popular Minnesota State Parks.

If you like a camping/park location near water and the great outdoors, but also close to shopping and all the amenities and activities available in a town of 13,000- this is it! New Ulm itself is a tourist destination due to its German roots and because it is the site of the Dakota Conflict of 1862.

The camping facilities are well cared for and up to date. The park's bonus is the chlorinated/filtered gravel bottomed pool/pond which is surrounded by beach.

There are some interesting hikes through the oak savanna woods along the Cottonwood River and up to Indian Point lookout.

Flandrau also has a great set up for reunions etc. The location is the old compound used to house German P.O.W.s and its location is across the river. There is a kitchen facility/dining hall and bunk houses for quite a few people. It is however somewhat isolated from town and the rest of the park services.

Reservations can be made through the Minnesota State Park reservation system. The website is-

3 Thank minnesotasparky