See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 25, 2018 via mobile

The most disgusting motel I or my family have ever stayed in. Reservations for 3 nights left after night 1 the charged me for the entire weekend. The sheets and carpets had multiple stains them. There was feces in the toilet. The was hair in the bed.....I could gone on, it was dirty and disgusting.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank msheah1
Reviewed September 10, 2016 via mobile

This place is not a motel I would recommend. Smell is musty, window doesn't lock and hasn't been opened or cleaned in many years. Ac unit is loud, tried to sleep without it but woke up in the night to turn it back on. Maybe ok for local workers but certainly not up to New Ulm standards for a tourist. Was just as concerned about leaving our car in the lot based on what we observed. Has the basics but sheets were see thru, blanket torn. I would not return.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank lori s
Reviewed May 13, 2016

I have stayed in many 5-star hotels over my lifetime, and as someone who frequents the suites of Las Vegas --- I know about top-tier rooms. I read some of these reviews and they are ridiculous. Of course this is not the Bellagio!

I've stayed at Colonial 3 times. The place is inexpensive and has great charm and character. The owner, Brandon, is tremendous, very focused on customer service. Very attentive to the guests' needs. The rooms have been remodeled and for a small-town motel, this is a wonderful property. Well worth the nighty fee.

Will be in New Ulm again in October and will stay again.

Room tip: Love the corner suites
Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2015 via mobile

This is a mom and pop, so don't expect the perks of a chain. (breakfast, etc.)
Our room was clean, bed good and firm and the toilet took everything with flying colors. Our tub looked aged, but the shower worked great. We had a microwave and mini fridge, both worked. A very nice flatscreen T.v. was also in the room with plenty of channels. The parking lot was clean and the outside looks to have been painted in the not to distant past. Well worth the money we spent. It looks like they are trying to modernize and such. The wi-fi worked perfectly. A plus nowadays.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2015

I am not a picky traveler, and I usually stay at budget motels. I did not pick this motel, but had reserved a room in another motel in town that had unfortunately overbooked. That motel called and told me they had reserved me a room at the Colonial. I was not sure what I would find, based on the other (negative) reviews on TripAdvisor. The desk clerk was helpful with breakfast suggestions, and allowed me to check in after 11 pm. The facilities were adequate but there was a very unpleasant smell in the room, and for that reason, I would not recommend it to others.

Date of stay: July 2015