“We felt like family!!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 New Ulm B&B and Inns
Chicago
“We felt like family!!!”
Reviewed June 14, 2008

From the time of Gary and Ramona’s warm welcome, to the end of our stay when Gary carried our bags to our car, we felt as if we were part of their family. This was one of my most memorable stays at a B&B in the USA. My room was just what you want from a B&B; no phone, no TV. Wonderfully decorated, clean and quiet. The building itself has an interesting history. The Roman Catholic Church used this to house clergy-in-training. Something you would not expect in a German settled town with a Lutheran seminary.
The brunch was fabulous with great variety. I’m not a big breakfast person, so I skipped lunch that day. They have their own signature coffee, which was so wonderful I took some home with me to enjoy. Whenever I brew it at home, I remember my visit to this special B&B in New Ulm.

• Liked — ambience
  • Disliked — That I had to leave.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Reviewed October 21, 2007

From the moment we arrived to the minute we left it was excellent.
Booked the Crystal room which had a queen sized bed that was so high you needed to clamber into it.
The room has an en suite bathroom with a jacuzzi bath that can fit 2 in it.
Room is very tastefully decorated with 2 rocking chairs & an air con unit which was used in full.
The house is a short walk into town where there are plenty of places to eat but where the stores close around 5.00pm.
Gary & Ramona are the perfect hosts without being too intrusive and the warmth of their hospitality has got to be seen to be believed.
Guests have the use of the lounge & dining room downstairs where there are plenty of books & games to keep you amused.
No TV but that added to the peace & relaxation of the place.
The bed was very comfortable and we were reluctant to get up.
Gary cooked us a 4 course breakfast and served us delicious coffee.
Providing you let them know in advance, they can cater to most diatry needs and will try & find something that you can eat.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — had to leave air con on all night as room was too warm for our tates.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
austin, texas
Reviewed June 7, 2007

This place is amazing! So comfortable and friendly, yet private when you want it to be. The location is great - a short walk to downtown, and also a beautiful hike and bike trail across the street. The hosts were attentive, but always sensitive to the need to relax alone if needed. The food was amazing - great attention to even the smallest detail. The hosts, Gary and Ramona were so friendly - made me feel like family. The beautiful historic home is immaculate....is there a higher rating than EXCELLENT???

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed July 24, 2006

This is a reasonably nice B&B, ran by a lovely family. I have stayed there once and it was a reasonably nice stay, but the extreme lack of modern amenities had made it difficult for me to enjoy my stay. The room was tastefully decorated, but did not have a TV or a phone that I could use. They offer High Speed Internet, but there is no desk in the room that I could work at. The breakfast was delicious, but I don’t know many people who can eat a four-course breakfast, which was only made less comfortable by one of the hosts standing next to me the entire time that I ate… If you are looking for a great place to get away from the modern world, this is a great place to stay. However, if you are a business traveler or someone who wants to watch some TV in the evening, there are more modern B&Bs down the street.

• Liked — The hosts were very pleasant.
  • Disliked — Lack of most modern conveniences and too much attention from the hosts
  • Tips/Secrets — If you can't handle a four-course breakfast, tell them up front.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Yanick2k
loreneNewUlm, Innkeeper at Deutsche Strasse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 1, 2008
We would like to thank our past guest for his review in that it enabled us to make changes that would accommodate the business traveler in a positive way. Changes have been made that are reflected in the more recent reviews after this 2006 review. Our business travelers are offered the use of a telephone, a TV room is available for their TV viewing, and a continental breakfast is provided along with a corporate rate most Sunday - Thursday evenings. We continue to provide the high speed internet, and this is available throughout the house. There are several locations to use if a larger space is necessary to work on projects. If the guest has any special needs, the request need only to made and we do our best to accommodate.
Again, thank you for aiding us to improve our service not only in a business perspective, but also to make our bed and breakfast a comfortable setting as a home away from home.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Ulm
AmericInn Hotel & Suites St. Peter
Econo Lodge New Ulm
Econo Lodge New Ulm
#2 of 5 in New Ulm

Been to Deutsche Strasse Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!