“Very nice front desk staff - Incompetent Manager”

Asteria Inn & Suites New Prague
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Prague
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Very nice front desk staff - Incompetent Manager”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for a hockey tournament. Trouble started from the beginning when the team was trying to book their reservations. Amy, the manager, stated that the team had a block of rooms but when the team tried to book their rooms was told that the hotel was full for Friday, the next day the team was told the hotel was full for Saturday, but open for Friday. There was mass confusion and the whole team was worried they wouldn't have a room and if they did it would be for the wrong nights. We left message for Amy, the manager as she was the one who placed the block. She did not return any phone calls for 10 days! To fix the problem, Amy told the team manager that she would fix the problem by ensuring that everyone from our team who had booked a night would get a reservation for both nights and she would call everyone to verify this was okay. Lo and behold, I never got a phone call from Amy, but a few days before our stay called the hotel to ensure I was booked in for only one night only to find out that Amy had taken the liberty of booking me for both, without notice and without authority or permission to do so. Once I checked in for the one night I had reserved, all was well. The hotel staff was very friendly and professional and went out of their way to accommodate our team, despite the fact they had two other teams to tend to as well. The rooms were up to date and the beds were very comfortable. However, the next problem came when I returned home to find out that I had been charged for an additional room that I did not reserve or authorize. When I called the hotel to correct the error, I was told "it's in black and white here that you booked two rooms, so we had every right to charge you." Really? I could put down "in black and white" that the sky was purple, but that doesn't make it true. I have now left messages for the "manager" Amy again and she has yet to call me back. I have called twice per day (once in the AM and once in the PM) over the past 5 days and she has still not returned my call. However, I did manage to find a staff who could help me, Lynn, who did her very best to correct my problem, but did not have the authority to do so without Amy's permission. My problem was corrected after four days and I am supposedly going to get refunded my money in "10-14 days." BUYER BEWARE - if you are going to stay here, likely out of necessity because it is the only hotel in the area, check your card balance before and after the trip to make sure you are not charged for something that you didn't reserve. Again, if possible, try to speak with Lynn. She is a fabulous staff member who is professional and responsive, and seems to really care about customer service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jeremy H, Assistant General Manager at Asteria Inn & Suites New Prague, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback to us on your stay. I am very sorry that management created a headache for your accommodations.

I am sorry that the staff was not paying close to the details on reserving your teams' rooms. The staff should have looked at the computer a little closer to avoid the confusion.

Also I am sorry a phone call was returned to you right away. Management should have called you back within 24-48 hours.

Thirdly, I am sorry that the your duplicate reservation incurred a charge to your credit card. This should have been caught by our staff and the reservation cancelled.

I'm glad to hear that our staff member Lynn was able to help you in correcting the billing error. I am sorry though that you were told that it would take 10-14 days. When a refund is issued, it takes 3-4 business days to show up in your account.

Since your stay, there has been a change in management and the staff at the hotel has been trained in paying attention to details, so that confusion will not happen.

Again my apologies for your bad experience and hope that once your hockey tournament comes back to town, you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The staff was exceptionally nice. The rooms were large. Although the decor was dated, it was all very clean. The linens were very soft and comfortable. The breakfast was above average. They had a good variety and the biscuits with gravy were quite tasty.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AshleyArleneRN
Thank you for providing feedback to us on your stay.

I'm sorry to hear that you found our dated decor.

I am glad to hear that your stay was pleasant and that you enjoyed our warm biscuits and sausage gravy.

Since your stay we have begun the process of updating our decor.

Again, thanks for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you the next time your in town.
Sparta, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The beds in our room were both horrible. We stayed two nights for a wedding. We did not get sleep either night. We could feel the springs in the beds. The toilet overflowed onto the floor.

The staff working all days are very friendly. The hotel is very clean. If it wasn't for the beds and toilet we really liked the hotel. They took 10% off the bill but it was not worth it, because we had a long drive back to Wisconsin with little sleep. It will be a hard day back to work in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask what rooms have the new beds.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Katie D
Amy L, Manager at Asteria Inn & Suites New Prague, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for the review after your stay in August 2012; we appreciate hearing from you after the stay! We are very excited that we joined the Lexington Inn & Suites franchise in May 2012. In doing so we are updating many things currently in our hotel. We want to share with all past and future guests that we have replaced every king bed in our facility at this point. We have replaced some queen beds and with time will be replacing them all. Besides new beds, we have updated curtains, bedding, and most of the pool equipment with fresh new parts. Our entire staff would like to invite you for another stay, and we'll be happy to share our updated hotel facility with you!

Amy L
Manager
Lexington Inn & Suites – New Prague, MN

Travelers are raving about these New Prague hotels

Duluth, MN
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Stayed there May 17 and 18, 2012. When we called and asked for an early check-in they would not accommodate even tho I was coming to bury my son. That is my only complaint. Desk staff once we got there was excellent especially Lynne & Wade. Very helpful. Rooms and motel were clean. Beds were comfortable. Our stay was quiet even tho the motel was full our second night. We were very satisfied. However if it is a 5 star hotel you are looking for this is not it. Rates are up there a bit for New Prague but it is the only place to stay in the area except for Burnsville, Shakopee, etc.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ClareDuluth_MN
loretto, minnesota
Reviewed September 30, 2011

working in area needed a hotel ( only one ) the night staff more friendly and more helpful then the morning staff ( they don't care ), rooms and building need some work . as far as breakfast waffle's, biscuits ( pucks ) and gravy, rolls, juice, cold cereal, web site for rates is off room was $ 5.00 more then advertised, over priced motel, I'm still looking for that free morning paper.
a good place to eat in town is the Fishtale Bar & Grill GREAT burgers & fish.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank chips99
Amy L, Manager at Asteria Inn & Suites New Prague, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for your review; we value your feedback. We would like to inform you of the recent changes to our property since your last visit. Our management has been restructured and all associates have completed an intensive guest service program. We have also recently re-branded the property as a Lexington Inn & Suites. With this change, we have updated the bedding package, installed clock radios with MP3 docking stations, and are in the process of updating all televisions to 32" flat panels. By late summer/early fall 2012 we will be adding a fitness room.

I would personally like to invite you back to experience the difference. Please contact me directly the next time you will be needing accommodations at our hotel. I'll be more than happy to assist you with your needs.

Warm regards,
Amy L.
Manager
Lexington Inn & Suites - New Prague
Huntersville, NC
Reviewed July 17, 2008

After driving over 20 hours we were able to check in about an hour early. Room was clean and in good repair. I had family in a second room that had cigarette burns in the comforter and did have some problems checking in but that was worked out. The front desk staff was pleasant for the most part. This is a small town and we had a wedding to attend. Rate was good but if I had a choice to return to the hotel or stay in the Cities and drive in; I’ll stay in the Cities.

• Liked — It was quiet.
  • Disliked — Not handicap friendly. There isn’t a way to access the upstairs if you are wheelchair bound or have problems with mobility.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank twhite614
sf, ca
Reviewed December 26, 2007

My mother reserved our room via their 800 number and specifically asked for early check in. When we arrived, the desk staff was rude and gave us a difficult time for checking in 1hr. before "official" check in time. We told them we had confirmed this request with the 800 number and were told that the information along to the hotel. Where the heck is the customer service? We were grudgingly given a room with a delightful ground-level view of a parking lot.

I spoke with both the day desk staff and a supervisor. Neither was helpful nor in the least bit friendly.

The rooms were a nightmare. The beds were very uncomfortable and in horrible shape - slashes in the box springs, cigarette holes in the comforters. The bathroom was tiny and had mildew in the showers as well as small, rough towels.

For the price, the room is laughable. I've stayed in better $40/night hotels!

This hotel knows they're the only game in town. Avoid if at all possible.

• Stayed October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank arabyTravels
Archer House River Inn
Archer House River Inn
#2 of 5 in Northfield
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Northfield

Been to Asteria Inn & Suites New Prague? Share your experiences!