“Good price, friendly service”

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Virginia
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mountain Iron
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Needed a last minute reservation, was able to book online.
Friendly staff, clean room.
Pool was closed ;(. Not warning about that during booking. cold improve that.
Otherwise good experience. Would book it again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites
JimMakowsky, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Good Afternoon Berenice S,

Thank you for your kind remarks! I understand your comments regarding our pool, it is very frustrating to us as we are at the mercy of the pool contractor. The pool is area is currently open, however, it can be day to day during construction. We plan to have our remodeling done in this area very shortly!

We look forward to seeing you again!

Sincerely, Jim Makowsky, General Manager

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years and in several states and a few other countries, but dollar for dollar, I would rate this hotel #1 over all of them. Sure, you can pay a lot more at some of your high class hotels and maybe get a little more, but this AmericInn is right up there with them at a lower rate per night. The place was simply beautiful. All of the staff that I talked to from desk to the excellent housekeepers were so very friendly and welcomed my family with open arms. Yes, I know that is their job but let me tell you, they are very good at their jobs and deserve a lot of credit for a job well done. Our room was as clean as could be, the entire hotel as far as I could tell, was very clean. The breakfast area was clean and they had a very good breakfast. Coffee pots were kept full with good tasting coffee. They had a small but nice little bar. The desk person at check in and also at check out was very friendly, polite, but still professional. I was very impressed with our over all stay and everyone who works there. You will be very impressed when you walk in the front door. Beautiful wood furniture and stuffed bears in the rafters. Kids will love it, but I am 66 years old and I was very impressed with the décor. REALLY! I most definitely recommend this AmericInn. You won't be sorry, believe me.

Room Tip: If I had to say anything negative, it would only be that there train tracks near by. I believe two p...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
JimMakowsky, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Good Afternoon Papa Penn,

I feel very lucky to have the staff I do! Thank you for your kind remarks!

Jim Makowsky,

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stay here whenever I come to the range and know that you can stay on the front side of hotel and the noise is not as bad. The hotel does not sit between 2 tracks but there are tracks on the back side. I live right next to railroad tracks in Elk River, MN and the trains are music to my ears although it does help I can't hear out of 1.

Room Tip: They don't have an elevator so remember to ask for 1st floor if stairs bother you
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Patty H

Good Afternoon Patty H.

Your kind remarks are much appreciated! You are correct as well when you state the property is not located between two train tracks. However, there is some random train traffic nearby and depending on your perspective it can be relaxing.

We look forward to seeing you again and if your room is on the second floor, our staff would be happy to carry your luggage to your room.

Jim Makowsky,

Reviewed September 18, 2013

It sits between two railroad tracks! Unless you are a sound sleeper and have no children do not book here. The trains run at all hours and blow their whistles everytime they come by! I sleep with a sleep apnea machine and that didn't drownd out the noise!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
JimMakowsky, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Good Afternoon Disapproval,

We understand your comments, unfortunately, we have little control of the disruptions caused by the nearby train. We have been working with the city of Mt Iron, Railroad and other agencies to establish a quiet zone or limit the traffic to reduce the occasional disruptions. With our apologies, I may suggest a room on the front side of the building for your next stay.

If you wish to discuss this further, please contact me at the property directly- Jim

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Hotel was under renovations,and the price should have been reduced as it was not worth the money. Bathtub was plugged, sticky gooey substance left in the tub. No place to hang your clothes, nor was their a luggage stool. No extra pillows. No hot tub, microwave, or fridge. Not worth the money at all.

The bed was comfortable and clean, and the restaurants were within walking distance.

would not stay again!

Room Tip: Make sure that u have a room with a clothes closet of some sort.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nancy19542013

Good Afternoon Nancy,

Our apologies, as during the time of your stay, we were in the middle of a complete replacement of all our guest room furniture. We had donated many of our guest room microwaves and refrigerators as our new media units required different sizes. We had also removed our wall mounted cloth racks to make room for new wardrobe units. I hope you can understand, with a property of our size, this was great undertaking for our staff.

I would encourage you to contact me directly at the property as I want to make it right for you to comeback and see the completion of our renovations.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!- Jim

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I stay here often, when traveling through. The staff is friendly and professional; they are dressed in uniforms. The bed spreads are washed often and changed out. The corners and edges are vacuumed weekly. The furniture and bed mattresses have been changed out several times over the past 15 years. The room have been remodeled a couple times in past 15 years. They shampoo the room carpets. Very clean! There is a train the runs behind the hotel and this does not bother me, because I am used to it and wear earplugs at night, anyway. Request the street- side if this sort of thing bothers you.

• Stayed: August 2013
JimMakowsky, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Good Afternoon Kb0p,

We appreciate you recognizing the attention to detail performed by our housekeeping team! They strive to provide our guests with the cleanest rooms in the area!

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Jim Makowsky, General Manager

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Was driving from Ely to the Twin Cities and wanted a place to make a quick overnight stop so I could take a side trip to Hibbing. Even though there are tourist attractions in this area, there don't seem to be many hotels to choose from and they are often full. I was not familiar with the AmericInn chain but given the high ratings decided to give this place a try. It turned out to be a nice place to stay (similar to a Comfort Inn) and I would definitely consider staying here again if I come back.

The exterior of the building and the hall color/ decoration scheme looked like a 70s motor hotel (HoJo orange) but everything was very clean and the room and furnishings appeared to have been updated more recently. There is also a sign in the lobby saying the hotel is having ongoing renovations so they may be planning to update more. The room had everything I needed including shampoo & conditioner, lots of good quality towels, refrigerator, microwave, large in-room safe, hair dryer, in-room coffee maker, cable TV, good Wi-Fi and a desk. Bed was very comfortable. Air conditioning was a little loud but worked very well to cool the room on a 100 degree day outside. I was in the front of the hotel so did not get any noise from the trains in back (though I likely would have slept through it being very tired). Only thing I did not like is the sink area outside the small bathroom is carpeted, making it very difficult to keep the carpet from getting wet - tile would be a better choice to prevent dirt and mold from gathering.

The public areas featured a very large, nice indoor pool area, a lobby with comfortable chairs done in a hunting-lodge theme, a breakfast area and even a small bar which serves pizza as well as drinks. Upon check in I got a "buy one get one free" card for drinks at the bar. Several vending machines also in the hall. The bar is called "The Bear Den" and it and the breakfast area are decorated with many large plush bears which is a cute touch for kids as well as for whimsical adults.

Breakfast was pretty elaborate for this type of place and included hot eggs, bacon, potatoes, two waffle makers as well as cereal, toast, pastries/ muffins/ juice and coffee. The breakfast area is quite small especially when the hotel is full, but you can take it up to your room to eat. Since Virginia is at a major highway crossroads there are also a number of restaurants, fast food and chain stores close by this hotel, although it is not a walkable area.

Staff was pleasant and upon checkout, when I asked where there was a post office to get a stamp for me to mail a postcard, the clerk GAVE me a stamp FOR FREE even though I offered to pay the postage cost. Awesome service there.

Note that there is no elevator so if you have a lot of bags you need to request a room on the first floor if you don't want to haul it all up a flight of stairs to the second.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front are quieter. Arrive before 5 pm if you want more choice of rooms, since place ge...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Good Afternoon Bunnydots,

Your review was greatly appreciated by our staff! That you for taking the time to give us such great feedback.

Jim Makowsky, General Manager

#1 of 2 in Eveleth
Lakeshore Motor Inn
Lakeshore Motor Inn
#1 of 4 in Virginia

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Virginia? Share your experiences!