“Very clean.”

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Virginia
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mountain Iron
“Very clean.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I stay here often, when traveling through. The staff is friendly and professional; they are dressed in uniforms. The bed spreads are washed often and changed out. The corners and edges are vacuumed weekly. The furniture and bed mattresses have been changed out several times over the past 15 years. The room have been remodeled a couple times in past 15 years. They shampoo the room carpets. Very clean! There is a train the runs behind the hotel and this does not bother me, because I am used to it and wear earplugs at night, anyway. Request the street- side if this sort of thing bothers you.

• Stayed August 2013
JimMakowsky, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Virginia, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Good Afternoon Kb0p,

We appreciate you recognizing the attention to detail performed by our housekeeping team! They strive to provide our guests with the cleanest rooms in the area!

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Jim Makowsky, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Was driving from Ely to the Twin Cities and wanted a place to make a quick overnight stop so I could take a side trip to Hibbing. Even though there are tourist attractions in this area, there don't seem to be many hotels to choose from and they are often full. I was not familiar with the AmericInn chain but given the high ratings decided to give this place a try. It turned out to be a nice place to stay (similar to a Comfort Inn) and I would definitely consider staying here again if I come back.

The exterior of the building and the hall color/ decoration scheme looked like a 70s motor hotel (HoJo orange) but everything was very clean and the room and furnishings appeared to have been updated more recently. There is also a sign in the lobby saying the hotel is having ongoing renovations so they may be planning to update more. The room had everything I needed including shampoo & conditioner, lots of good quality towels, refrigerator, microwave, large in-room safe, hair dryer, in-room coffee maker, cable TV, good Wi-Fi and a desk. Bed was very comfortable. Air conditioning was a little loud but worked very well to cool the room on a 100 degree day outside. I was in the front of the hotel so did not get any noise from the trains in back (though I likely would have slept through it being very tired). Only thing I did not like is the sink area outside the small bathroom is carpeted, making it very difficult to keep the carpet from getting wet - tile would be a better choice to prevent dirt and mold from gathering.

The public areas featured a very large, nice indoor pool area, a lobby with comfortable chairs done in a hunting-lodge theme, a breakfast area and even a small bar which serves pizza as well as drinks. Upon check in I got a "buy one get one free" card for drinks at the bar. Several vending machines also in the hall. The bar is called "The Bear Den" and it and the breakfast area are decorated with many large plush bears which is a cute touch for kids as well as for whimsical adults.

Breakfast was pretty elaborate for this type of place and included hot eggs, bacon, potatoes, two waffle makers as well as cereal, toast, pastries/ muffins/ juice and coffee. The breakfast area is quite small especially when the hotel is full, but you can take it up to your room to eat. Since Virginia is at a major highway crossroads there are also a number of restaurants, fast food and chain stores close by this hotel, although it is not a walkable area.

Staff was pleasant and upon checkout, when I asked where there was a post office to get a stamp for me to mail a postcard, the clerk GAVE me a stamp FOR FREE even though I offered to pay the postage cost. Awesome service there.

Note that there is no elevator so if you have a lot of bags you need to request a room on the first floor if you don't want to haul it all up a flight of stairs to the second.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front are quieter. Arrive before 5 pm if you want more choice of rooms, since place ge...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Good Afternoon Bunnydots,

Your review was greatly appreciated by our staff! That you for taking the time to give us such great feedback.

Jim Makowsky, General Manager
Illniois
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were in the area for family research. The hotel was in the middle of the small towns I needed to go to. There were plenty of places to eat at any price range. There was a Walgreens within walking distance. Grocery stores were also nearby. There were trains running frequently in back of the hotel, but I didn't notice them.
The room was very clean. They were pet friendly. The breakfast was good for us. The had a great selection.
My husband and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We staying on the highway side of the hotel, 1st floor. It was an even number room. The other side...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JimMakowsky, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Virginia, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Good Afternoon glo57,

Thank you for your kind review, we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We love Americinns but this one had a train running directly behind the hotel. The train came about five times during the night. Won't stay there again. Pool was nice and a decent breakfast. Pets allowed.

• Stayed August 2013
Good Afternoon Kpeitersen,

We certainly understand your comments regarding the train traffic, unfortunately, this is something out of our control, however, please accept our apologies.

If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to give me a call directly, at the property. -Jim
Minnesota
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our 2-night stay was wonderful. We needed peace and quiet after a day of biking the Mesabi Trail and the AmericInn Lodge & Suites in Virginia/Mountain Iron provided this and more. Our room was a standard single queen just down the hall from the front desk and still we heard no hall noise. From check-in to check-out we only encountered friendly service. The breakfast is one of the best we have had and included eggs, sausage, waffles, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, breads, yogurt...just what a biker needs before setting out for the day. The bathroom seemed rather small but once encased in the shower, the bathroom seemed huge. The single sink is outside the toilet area which was a plus for us. I would not hesitate to stay here again if in the Iron Range area of Minnesota and I am very picky about the hotels I stay at.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ransrider,

Thank you for your kind remarks and we are happy you enjoyed your stay!

Oronoco, Minnesota
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Our two night stay was fine. The train going by did not disturb our sleep. The breakfast is typical for the chain. I don't like the egg patties, biscuits or gravy so don't eat them. I made the cook your own waffles and they were good.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Good Afternoon Richie1732,

Thank you for your kind remarks! I am particularly proud of our housekeeping department, they do a fine job! We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again!

Lakeville, MN
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great breakfast and beautiful lobby, this AmericInn says it is going through some updating. It looks like the lobby is done. Our room was clean and comfortable and faced the back of the hotel. If you are a light sleeper, you might prefer a room at the front since a few trains went through during the night. The sound was fairly muted and I actually found it quite comforting. I'm a light sleeper myself and the noise did not bother me at all. Staff was helpful and courteous. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank bookwormbird
JimMakowsky, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Virginia, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Good Morning Bookwormbird,

Thank you for the kind remarks! We look forward to seeing you again!

Have a great day.

#1 of 2 in Eveleth
Lakeshore Motor Inn
Lakeshore Motor Inn
#1 of 4 in Virginia

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Virginia? Share your experiences!