“We'll Be Back”

Holiday Inn Express Suites Mountain Iron
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mountain Iron
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I chose the Holiday Inn over its competitor in Virginia due to the competitor's so-so reviews, and I was glad I did.The property is only about a mile outside of Virginia and almost brand new.Check in and checkout were fast and easy and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room on the third floor was very large, tastefully decorated and very quiet. Bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was large and very well appointed. Breakfast staff was efficient and attentive. Breakfast had a wide selection and the coffee was excellent. I would recommend for business and vacation travelers.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Davek12013

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed in room 208. It had two queen beds, a table with two chairs and a mini fridge located in the bureau. It had good space and was very clean and comfortable. Seemed typical for a Holiday Inn. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the complimentary breakfast was good with lots of variety to choose from. My husband used the pool to swim laps and said that it was very clean and well kept down there. The walls do seem a little thin and I could hear others in the morning. But as an seasoned traveller, I always bring earplugs and after putting them in - I didn't hear a thing all night! Overall, we would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick a room at the top to minimize overhead noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WeVisitTheWorld1996
hiexpress_10, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Mountain Iron, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. We use all of the reviews we receive to monitor our levels of service. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Sounds travel a little more than I'd like. My hallway end room on 1st floor (nothing on 3rd when I checked in) caught smoke from the smokers outside a couple of times. all in all, not a bad place, and I'd stay here again in this area. Oh, and dont forget to check out the pancake machine at breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Doug R

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry that you had to deal with smokers outside I am sure that was not a pleasant experience. I am glad you enjoyed the pancake machine and our breakfast buffet. I do hope we will have the pleasure to serve you in the future.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

stayed a few times at this hotel and enjoyed it very much. But this time my room was so dusty and not very clean... I could write my name on the table and TV. now understand I tried to check in at 10 that morning and front desk said oh the people have checked out .but they have not gotten to the room... 1:00 would be better.. now that was fine to me.. left and enjoyed myself till I went back to the hotel and checked in. at first did not notice that the room was not dusted at all. when checking out the next day I felt the lady at the front desk should never be at the front desk she was not a nice person at all. and to think she is the one who asked me how was my room and I told her.. I wrote on the desk TV saying to clean me!!!! the lady at the front desk has let me know not to go back to this Hotel again. and how sad is this!!!!!!!

Room Tip: take any room the higher up the better... I like 2nd floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sassie339
hiexpress_10, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Mountain Iron, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We are always grateful when a guest takes the time to provide feedback.

We ame truly sorry that your room was not up to standard. We do try to provide high levels of cleanliness unfortantly we fell of our goal. WeI do hope you will give us another chance to serve you.

Thank you again for your comments they are grately appreciated.

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My stays here are always relaxing. There's a fridge and a microwave in my room, the exercise room is adequately equipped, and there's a nice happy hour in the evening. MY only complaint of this hotel and so many others is that housekeeping never gets the bathtub completely clean. I like to relax and take baths before bedtime and I almost always have to clean the bathtub when I first get into a hotel room. Next time you're at a hotel, take your hand and glide it over the inside of the tub side closest to you. Then take your hand and glide it over the side that's facing you. There's usually a big difference in cleanliness.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank suzb_00
Reviewed July 18, 2013

While the hotel looks beautiful, I can honestly say that I haven't stayed in a hotel that has such horrible sound problems in a very long time! It wasn't even that people were being abnormally loud (except for the room full of kids the second night, fighting with each other, but the problem had already presented itself). We were really shocked that we could hear every conversation, TV program and little noise of our neighbours - hallway sounds were obviously much worse. I'm sure the people above us were simply walking back and forth normally but it really sounded like colossal pounding.

I thought the sound would carry up early morning from the breakfast area we overlooked to our room in the morning, but much to our relief, it didn't.

I have never, ever complained about noise in a hotel before and I always try to stay at Holiday Inns as a Priority Club member (although they didn't recognize this when I checked in as I'm used to) but I had to call the front desk during our second night - it was really too much. Unfortunately, they did not have ear plugs to give out or sell and nothing was really done to make things better.

On a positive note, the front desk staff was quick and helpful, also apologetic about the noise, the pool & hot tub were nice and relaxing, and, although I'm not able to eat much on the breakfast menu due to food sensitivities, it was well-stocked, hot and easy to navigate. The lady running the area was super friendly and helpful.

Our room was nice - a little more could have been done to make it cleaner (there were gross smudges on our bathroom light switch - obviously something that was consistently overlooked) and the beds weren't as comfortable as other Holiday Inns we've stayed in - but the set up was useful with the fridge, little table and chairs, and sofa. The shower was also nice with good water pressure. We made use of the 24 hr coffee and the location was good for our purposes.

Unfortunately due to the problems with the noise, I don't see myself staying here again. I think I'll look elsewhere and I recommend that anyone who does stay here bring a set of earplugs to make their stay more pleasant than mine.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank stardust1971
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Mountain Iron, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear stardust1971,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I'm glad to hear you found our front desk staff agent to be efficient and helpful. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. However, I would like to apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to ensure guest's satisfaction. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

--Nice, comfortable room.
--Good staff.
--Located close to area restaurants.
--We stayed here since they were no hotels close to Duluth for Grandma's marathon. It was NOT a good substitute as it was over an hour away!
--Externally, it looked like a lodge. Prett cool.

• Stayed: June 2013
#1 of 1 in Chisholm
Super 8 Eveleth
Super 8 Eveleth
#1 of 2 in Eveleth

Been to Holiday Inn Express Suites Mountain Iron? Share your experiences!