“Very very disappointed”

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Very very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

Don’t be fooled by the other positive reviews.
First of all, we’ve waited over 40min before our first roll of sushi came out on not busy Tuesday evening. While we were waiting, one couple sent their food back because they didn’t look right and other couple left because they weren’t as patient as we were.
Rice was hard, dry, and no vinegar flavor to it. Fish wasn’t fresh. Miso soup was missing a key ingredient, dashi soup stock. My fiance commented that you could buy better sushi at supermarkets. Service was poor. We will never go back. If you can drive extra 15 min to come in to the city, I beg you as a Japanese to please do so and eat decent sushi! Price is not the most important thing when food is so bad.

• Visited July 2011

Andover, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

Upon approach, this restaurant looks as if you should turn around and go somewhere else. It is a tiny box plopped in a decaying small parking lot. Inside it is a plain, but charming little sushi restaurant.
Although I am not a sushi connoisseur, I think their sushi and sashimi are very good. The food, fish in particular, is very fresh. It is much better, and better priced, than chains such as Osaka and Tiger Sushi. Other dishes such as shrimp tempura and udon soup are also very good. I haven't had anything there that I did not like and even friends with their first exposure to sushi have enjoyed it.
There is a small sushi bar, but I have not sat there. It seems to be a family run operation and the young waitress is pleasant and attentive, if a little inexperienced. The food comes slowly if there are more than a few customers, but it is worth the wait.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank celgriff
Minneapolis, MN
“This place is a gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

I must admit, from the outside, this place looks scary and once you walk in, I think it becomes even scarier. However, the quality of the sushi and the price soon had me forgetting the aesthetics of the restaurant. If you want outstanding sushi at a great price, get to Taiko Sushi stat! My neighbor introduced me to this place about 6 months ago, and I"ve been back many times. This place is great to bring your kids too!

Minnesota
“Don't judge the "book" by its cover!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

Don't let the uninspiring exterior and the tattered menus defer you from trying this lovely little place. A family member recently relocated to the area, and we discovered this little gem of a restaurant. My grandson loved the chicken katsu, and everything else we had was very good, too!

Stillwater, MN
“Master Sushi Chef Scott”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

Anyone who loves the pure taste of sushi and sashimi should frequent Taiko Sushi. One chef, Scott, prepares all of the sushi and does he ever have a flair. The food is as good as there is in town and the prices are excellent. I've been an avid customer for nine years and it compares to sushi that I've had all over the country. Five stars.

1 Thank Pete S