“Sleep in your car it's cleaner and better for your health”

Best Northland Prairie Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Morris
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Sleep in your car it's cleaner and better for your health”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Where to begin? Suite does not have a microwave... right... Black mold on the walls, the smell of BO in the rooms and the stoned staff to is so passive a train could drive through the building and none of them would notice. BTW- They will try to charge YOU for their screwups with reservations, and rooms. THe place should be shut down. Good luck if you reverve a bank of rooms in advance, you might want to check on those several times because they lost ours... and we did this TWICE - they do not keep their word, and the promise the world. Dont trust them save your money and sleep in your car.

Room Tip: If you want to pick a good room, go next door to the other facility... That is my best advise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Paulaoct2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ramsey, Minnesota
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This property has gone seriously downhill. Began staying here in about 2005; was ok at that time. We will never, ever stay here again. Difficult to get them to answer the phone. Made a reservation for 3 nights only to find out at check-in that we only had the room for 1 night and they were full beyond that. Non-smoking rooms smelly from either smoke or air freshener and/or have black mold. Temperature control is non-existent. And the final straw - our debit card has had 6 additional charges put on it since we checked out!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank PattyR762
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Arrived in room at 10:30-11pm. Room temperature ok. Room heat blasted middle of early morning, outside temp about 40F. Room thermostat set at 62F, room at 80F. Opened window at 5am. Terrible sleep. Management says you could have moved, changed rooms. What a sham. Did get two 10% discounts, one at front desk upon checkout and one after complaining by telephone after returned home. I asked to split charge, 50-50. My plan was refused. "There are hotels that would give a room for free with a mechanical failure such as this," I said. "We are not one of those kind of hotels," was the response.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Paul R
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed September 22, 2013

When I booked this hotel, I was told there was a $25 per night pet fee. I planned to stay one night on a business trip as a pass through town and thought, "how bad could it be?" When I booked the room over the phone, I advised them I was booking for myself and my dog. They said was $99/night + pet fee. When I checked in, I didn't remind them of my dog, and they did not discuss it. After walking into the room, there was absolutely no way I was going to accept a $25 pet charge...which one would assume is a cleaning fee. This hotel room was very unclean, and there was no way possible any pet fee was ever used for cleaning. They obviously don't move things around to vaccuum. My dog was sniffing out and eating all sorts of "leftovers" she could find in the nooks and cranies of the floor. I was so grossed out. This is the type of hotel that you need to put shoes on to get out of bed in the morning.

The good:
Pet friendly hotel
...yep, that's all I can think of

The bad:
- The room floor had stains all over it. Spill stains...dog pee...everything.
- The blankets on the beds were tattered and falling apart.
- The bed sheets were very worn and old - pretty much see-through.
- They still have the same "bed spreads" (I didn't know those existed anymore) from the 1970s.
- Shower/tub had hard water stains and was dingy...just needed a deep cleaning which no one has done in a very long time.
- Old Tube TV
- Hallways were like walking through a hot dungeon.
- Trash all over outside.
- Exterior's landscape was incredibly overgrown and full of tall weeds that obviously no one ever maintained.

Conclusion: $99 was WAY too much for this dump. I've stayed at nicer places for $50/night. They had a wedding there the weekend I was there. Who in their right mind would have a wedding in this rat hole??

In the end, I didn't get charged a pet fee (likely cuz they didn't realize), and I would have refused to pay it if they did charge me. If you decide to stay here, bring a sleeping bag and a cot.

The sacrifices I make to travel with my dog...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Hingy7
St. Cloud, MN
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We have given very few negative hotel reviews but this one derserved it. Stained sheets and no lock on the door. Also exterior doors did not lock so anyone can come in. Room was dirty. Hair all over bathroom floor. Yuck. Not staying there again!

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank Corpy1210
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Worst hotel I have ever stayed at! The room smelled so badly of smoke and mildew that the first thing I did was drive to a store to buy Fabreeze and a scented candle so we could even stand to be in the room. The hallway outside our room smelled so much like cat pee we would hold our nose and run for the outside door. Stayed for two nights, did not get maid service at all, had to go to the front desk for towels. Room door did not always lock. One of my kids got head lice and the other a bacterial infection from the dirty pool - a rash on her legs showed up @10 days after our stay, the doctor took one look and asked if she had been in a swimming pool or hot tub 1-2 weeks ago. This was the only pool she was in the entire summer. I complained of horrible room when I was there and was told they would comp my room. A week later I was charged for the room. I have been trying for almost three weeks to get my money back, but keep getting the run around from the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Dee251
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Construction crews have taken over this place. Tobacco spit is everywhere . . . by the door as you enter the facility, in the hallways, and in the common areas. Watch where you walk. Loud base music played beyond sunset from the many crew vehicles. Workers drank in the parking lot throughout the evening. Beer cans, bottles, and caps are everywhere. Sign says that that external doors are locked for the guests' safety but are open 24/7. When we went outside to our vehicle to obtain articles, we were approached by the workers requesting unheard of services from us. The area is totally booked because of road construction and the destruction of a local school. Regardless of the non-smoking room, smoke fills the air through the vents and hallways. Construction workers walk through the halls while smoking. One bar of soap for a party of three. Coffee pot in the room still had the prior guest's coffee and filter in it. Tall weeds are growing in the sidewalks. Parking lot has deep holes throughout and are difficult to avoid while driving. Sleep fast and get out of here!

Room Tip: No room may be occupied safely!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family