“Nice Enough Hotel”

Minneapolis Marriott Southwest
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Minnetonka
Reviewed October 14, 2013

One of the interesting things about a hotel experience with a group of people is how different each one's experiences are in the same hotel at the same time. This was what I encountered recently at my stay at this Marriott hotel. I was personally quite pleased with the accommodations and service at the hotel though somewhat annoyed when the air-conditioning shut down every night and the room got quite uncomfortable as far as sleeping temperature. But I came down to the lobby in the morning after the first evening and was quite surprised by my colleagues experiences. One of them was unable to turn on the shower as the lever jammed and maintenance had to be called. Imagine that happening when you are in a rush to meet a group for a business meeting. Another individual went in her bathroom and found she was in the middle of a shower - from the floor above. Apparently the bathroom in the room above hers flooded and the water came down on her. Everyone complained of the temperature change during the night. The hotel restaurant served what I would call high-end bar food. Not bad, but not a destination restaurant. The wireless was strong. The rooms were quiet. Lighting was good. All in all, except for the minor catastrophes listed above I thought it was good enough for a business stay and my experience was just fine.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

I was glad to hear that you were overall pleased with the service and accommodations. Your response regarding the strong internet was also most welcomed. Please accept my apologies for the temperature and pluming issues you and your friends experienced. I have shared your comments with our engineering team. Enjoy the beautiful Charleston weather.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend in the cities. Never again.

Walls are paper thin. Was woken up 4-5 times during the night as people walked by. Complained to desk staff but nothing was done. Ultimately would have had a better nights sleep in my car.

The place is overpriced and soulless. I expected a lot better.

STAY AWAY.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jerrywesterby

Please accept my apology for your inability to get a good night’s rest during your recent stay with us. If you are available I would welcome the opportunity to get additional feedback regarding your stay. Please feel free to contact me at 952-935-5500.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My reservation was in the system, but my room was not what I ordered. The front desk called to tell me that the room rate was awful high for the room I was in, and she could adjust the rate or move my room. I chose to stay in the room. Apparently she couldn't get this resolved on the rate, She said she would take care of it as soon as she could. I got the bill under my door about 4am and it was incorrect. When I went to the desk to check out I explained the issue to the desk morning lady and in 5 minutes the issues were fixed apologies levied and I was on my way.

I recommend this hotel as the rooms were nice, clean, and Marriott quality that is typical. If I come back to Minneapolis I will make sure to enjoy the concierge floor and services. Everyone was very helpful, nice, and made you feel like you were at home with their quality!!!!

Thank you Marriott Southwest Minneapolis, you could teach the Marriott West Minneapolis a lot !!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

I am very glad to hear that the front desk staff delivered exceptional service while you stayed with us. Thank you also for the comments regarding your room being clean. Our staff takes great pride in its ability to provide a clean room and excellent service. Please accept my apologies for the issue with your bill not being correct the first time. I hope that we can be your host again next time you are in town.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel is located like an oasis in the middle of a corporate giants headquarters. There is nothing much else nearby to attract you and absolutely nowhere within walking distance so I guess a large proportion of guests are visiting he aforementioned corporation.

I have stayed in the hotel quite a few times over the last 7 years. It is a typical Marriott hotel. It has decent sized functional rooms though on this trip mine had a strange smell. Couldn't quite work out what it was. Not so bad I felt the need to complain but enough that I still remember it now.

Staff are fine.

Big mark against - wifi charges. I consider this robbery and will point it out every time I stay in a hotel that charges. The Marriott not only charges, but charges a lot. No need for it in this day and age. A rip off.

Bar - the most soul-less aspect of the hotel. It was much better the way it used to be. I arrived on a Sunday and had 2 beers waiting on my dinner. It was so quiet I was almost afraid to put my bottle down on the marble bar in case it made too much noise. The bar staff were good, but the bar itself is far from a fun place.

The restaurant looked very dark, maybe even closed when I arrived not terribly late on the Sunday evening too which I found odd.

It is handy if you are visiting the nearby offices but otherwise there much be cheerier places to stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your stay with us. Please rest assured that I have shared your comments with the appropriate team members and we are working on ways to improve the experience for future guests. Your kind words regarding the bar staff have also been shared with the bar team. Thank you for your long term loyalty.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one Sat night to celebrate our anniversary. When making the reservations he had asked to be put on the highest level of the hotel as possible, because from reading another review apparently the 14-17th floors are "key card accessible only", which they do not tell you about. So we thought it would be fun to be on one of those floors. Apparently the highest floor they had was 7, which was fine, just not as exciting as being on one of the card accessible only floors. The room was nice and updated. Ill list the pros and cons to make this easier :)

Pro's:
-The bed was VERY comfortable. They give you a ton of pillows and I just loved it. Although I really enjoy a softer mattress, so for someone (like my boyfriend) who doesn't, this may be too soft.
-They offer room service. *Note about this in cons area*
-Our room was right next to the elevators and ice machine, so no long walks to and from for
us!
-We requested to check out an hour late (1pm instead of 12pm) at the last minute, which they were fine with. *Note about this in the cons area*
-The restaurant/bar area downstairs looked fun and was full up on Sat night.
-You could tell there was a wedding going on in the hotel somewhere, but we never heard a peep out of anyone, no noisy neighbors, etc.

Cons:
-No free WiFi! What kind of hotel in this day and age makes you pay for it?! And it was outrageously expensive! $10/DAY!
-The bathroom could use updating, saw some stains around the fixtures, overall just looked a little outdated and used.
-While they had room service, just from looking at the menu in the room it was very expensive. I can't rate how the food was because we didn't order any (because of the price).
-They let us check out an hour late (yay!) but house keeping still knocked VERY loudly on the door at 12:05ish to come in. So obviously they didn't communicate our change to them.

Overall it was a good one night stay in a nice hotel, nothing crazy awesome about it, but nothing to seriously complain about (other than the $10/day WiFi, we thought that was pretty insane).

Room Tip: Specifically request a room on the 14-17th floors, they are key card accessible only.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Based on your comments about no noise and comfortable bed it sounds like you were able to get a good night’s rest. As you noted the bar/restaurant area is a popular place, I hope you were able to visit. Please accept my apologies for the lack of execution on the late check-out. I have shared your feedback with the housekeeping manager and we are working on ways to resolve. I hope you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just came back from a business trip. Check in procedure could have been more smooth, but otherwise nice hotel. Bed was extremely comfortable and the staff was friendly. The gym was nice. Food good and the drinks at the bar....bartenders are generous. Would stay again if ever in the area.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

I hope your business trip to Minneapolis was a successful trip. Thank you for the kind words regarding many different aspects of the hotel. Your feedback will be shared and the teams will be recognized. Please accept my apology for the check in that was awkward. If you would like to share any additional details regarding this please feel free to give me a call. Hopefully your work will bring you back to Minneapolis again and we will get the opportunity to host you another time.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel was very nice. One of my GF had her reception there so we got a room to stay over night. The hotel decor and environment was very modern and relaxing. They had nice lounging areas in the lobby with refreshing cucumber, lemon and watermelon infused water. Our room was nice as well. The bed was very comfortable. I loved the bedding/blanket. The hotel was able to give any wedding guests discounted rates and complimentary breakfast so that was very nice!
The only thing I would change was that our room was very warm when I checked in. It was about 90 degrees outside so it would have been nice if they turned up the AC to cool down the room. When I got there I turned the AC up, but it took an hour or so to cool it down. My friends stayed there also and their rooms were nice and cool. One of my friend's room mini fridge hadn't been cleaned out from the previous guest. There were still beverages and some food items left in there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

I hope you had a great time at the wedding. We truly enjoy hosting weddings since making a memorable experiences for everyone in attendance is what we take pride in. Please accept my apologies for your room not being cool upon arrival and your friend having a refrigerator issue. I hope you have a chance to come and visit us again sometime.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Minnetonka
Downtown
Radisson Blu Minneapolis Downtown
Minneapolis Airport Marriott
#35 of 43 in Bloomington

Been to Minneapolis Marriott Southwest? Share your experiences!