“Great for anniversary - king jacuzzi suite and request top floors”

Minneapolis Marriott Southwest
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Minnetonka
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a king suite on the 14th floor for our anniversary. We got the couples getaway package where you got the champaign or cider, 2 breakfast buffet and late check out.

Pros:
- Room was spacious it was the corner room and we had amazing views!
- The bed was so comfortable.
- The jacuzzi tub worked well. It fit two of us snug but well since we want to be closer to each other given the occassion. Solo jacuzzi fits perfectly.
- Loved the late check out! We were able to relax and enjoy ourselves without the pressure of needing to get out ASAP
- The top floors are 'concierge' floors and must have a special card key to access. I liked that and they were pretty attentive to when I needed additional towels etc. They seemed friendly and helpful.
- For an anniversary I liked that there were no kids or teenagers. It was a relaxing environment.
- The garden area was beautiful. Loved the big fountain and plenty of places to sit and enjoy it.

Improvements:
- The couches in the living room area need to be upgraded. It didn't fit the king suite room, felt old and rough.
- We found 2 small hairs in the tub. We had to clean it our before getting it prepared.
- The TV in the bedroom could have been bigger (swap the living room and bedroom TVs)
- I was not impressed with the breakfast buffet at all. It's regularly $16/pp. If it wasn't for the late checkout at 3pm that was included in the package, I would've felt really disappointed that I upgraded.
- One tip for the hotel is to partner with edible arrangements next door to get chocolate covered strawberries with the champaign/cider. We just bought ours at last minute - and this is what put the cherry on top of our stay. It came in a dozen but we really only wanted a few. I would've went for that instead of the breakfast buffet.

Overall, we were happy with our stay here for our anniversary. I really did my research on different places with jacuzzi king rooms and ended up here. We are more hotel with pool type people instead of a bed and breakfast. If your more B & B then go to Stillwater. We are also cost conscious and the price point worked well for us in comparison to a really nice b&b or hotel in downtown Mpls. So if you're like us - then you'd enjoy your stay! Just request a corner king suite on those top floors 14th-17th.

• Stayed: June 2013
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Congratulations on your anniversary. Thank you for sharing this special day with us. The feedback regarding your stay is greatly appreciated and will be shared with the team.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The summers in this area are hot and humid. My complaint about this hotel is that the air conditioner did not have enough power to cool the room. Too warm to sleep. Cooling did not reach the bathroom/dressing area. There is nothing a woman likes less than trying to apply makeup over perspiration. I used the mirror over the desk in order to find the coolest place but then there is the issue of lightling. So I called and asked for this to be fixed. The maintenance person did nothing more than to set the stat at 64.5. The room never cooled. This property needs some new equipment. Because of the discomfort, I will not stay here again. The property does have great room service. Try the wild rice soup, a local specialty. I was pleased that they provided me with a feather pillow as I requested.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

I am sorry to hear about your experiences with the air conditioning system. I have shared your comments with our engineering manager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. Please accept my apologies for this issue. Our wild rice soup is one of our trademark dishes; I am glad that you were able to enjoy.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed overnight before the drive back home while retuning from vacation in Hawaii. This room was an upgrade since I am Platinum Member. But I was so surprised to get such great service! No problems with check in even at Midnight! Hotel and rooms are in great shape and I didn't get to do much there but I would stay again. It is about 15 minutes from the airport and better that the Springhill and Fairfield's I have stayed at in the past for about the same price. Video on the youtube channel. Thanks for reading.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

I hope your trip to Hawaii was a memorable experience. From you photo’s it looks like you came back to rainy weather. Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay and I am very pleased to hear that the staff was able to take such great care of you. I hope you can visit us again.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for business trip in June 2013 and the location was pristine-just 22 minutes from the airport. The room was clean and with a tremendous view overlooking the valley of Minnetonka. The bed and pillows were comfortable and clean. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with lots of fresh hot and cold options to choose from. The gym is on the first floor right next to the swimming pool. Great staff! Get away from downtown Minneapolis and visit this hotel if you are looking for great service and a nice relaxing location.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing comments regarding the view. Many people do not realize how great the views are from our location. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our breakfast buffet.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The positive: The room was clean and a decent size. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The breakfast buffet looked good, with lots of fresh hot and cold options to choose from. Dinner at a function in the hotel restaurant was pretty good.

The negative: Despite having 2 confirmations in hand, the front desk staff was unable to find my reservation, so check in took much longer than it needed to. I had no maid service one day during my stay. The bathroom had an odor of urine. There was no paper or pen in my room. Though breakfast was apparently included in my room price, no one informed me that was so; I learned this a few days into my stay from someone else for whom I had made a reservation. While dinner was good, our wait staff was not. (The breakfast wait staff was good.)The in room coffee was horrible. And finally, though not the hotel's fault, a very rude woman took a half hour business phone call in the hallway in front of my room. When I finally asked her to please go elsewhere, she rolled her eyes and told me to "go away!" Again, while not the hotel's fault, the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

I was saddened to hear about the experiences you had regarding your room and reservation. Please accept my most sincere apology. I have taken your feedback and shared it with the leadership team to ensure future guests do not experience what you had. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Most recent stay at this nice property in the Marriott chain; this time for extended period of time (3 mo's).

Staff: Headline for this property is the staff. As in other longer stays (props to folks at Marriott BOS harbor), in the end, the people are what leave the great impression of the hotel. From manager Jasen Fountaine, to Mary Anne, Kim, Adam, Joannie, Katrina, to every one of the other staff members with whom I've interacted - each is without exception a pleasure. Uniformly professional, friendly, accommodating. As noted by others, an outstanding group of people work at this hotel.

Facility: Solid Marriott property - def better than some recent stays (e.g., horrible Marriott properties in ATL). Lobby, bar, and restaurant area look to have had update not long ago, and are nicely designed, modern, fresh, spacious, comfortable with nice fireplace area at one end. Pool, nice outside patio around water feature / pond, and several large conference / banquet rooms. Not lux, but quite nice and certainly solid destination for business trip.

Rooms: Standard rooms (King) are mixed bag - one had peculiar musty smell (noted by another reviewer). But are solid if not lux. Bathroom / vanity reminds of Residence Inn - read: def not lux. But, suites are nice and quite comfortable - spacious, well appointed, with larger bath, double sink vanity, separate tub & shower, and tele in main room and bedrm. Someone noted lack of microwave, but this was provided me immed on request - so just ask. Rooms are quiet (no notable noise from other rooms, guests, or outside).

Food: Staci's is solid. Usual mix of b'fast, lunch, dinner items - e.g., steak, chx, salmon, variety of sandwiches, apps, etc. Nothing that will blow you away, but good - and staff (e.g., Laura) are outstanding, as across this property. If there for some time, very close alternatives are: "Jimmy's" (restaurant and good sized bar with some quite good entrees, very good apps, incl Angus sliders, wings, flat breads - 5 min from hotel in same business park); "Pairings" (casual dine in and take out with wine, beer, and very nice selection of salads, pizza, flat breads, Italian, American and Mex entrees - also 5 min away and next to Pairings); "Campiello's" (very nice Italian restaurant, a bit less casual, great entrees, good wine list - just three blocks south on Shady Oak). Also three coffee shops, bagel shop, and Jimmy Johns within a couple blocks. So, lots of choices, but Staci's is def good bet for meal, rm service.

Location: Sits in business park (Opus) right next to UHC headquarters, and near many small businesses. Close to freeway, easy access. Western MSP suburbs (Minnetonka). Most of guests will be local business related.

All in all - very good property with an outstanding staff.

Room Tip: Suite, corner rooms best for comfort.