“Clean and Modern”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Minnetonka
Noblesville, Indiana
“Clean and Modern”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I traveled to the Marriott Southwest last weekend where our friends were getting married. The ceremony and reception were also at the Marriott which was helpful so we pretty much spent the entire weekend at the hotel.

On Friday we flew in mid-morning and the front desk was able to get us in early without a problem. The room was very nice, we were sharing a room with another couple so the room had 2 double beds. The room featured a large TV with HD service, coffee maker, a mini-fridge. The furniture was modern and every corner of the room was super clean. WI-FI is NOT free which was ok with us since we didn't need it but if you were a business traveler that could be a problem.

Since we were early and most of our friends had not arrived yet, we went down to the lobby bar. The lobby area is pretty big with a long bar, table setting for the bar/restaurant, and a breakfast area. I had a couple of beers and my wife had an appetizer which was pretty good.

The food at the wedding reception was also very good, the staff was really helpful and courteous.

One review did mention an odd location which we didn't notice because we spent 95% of our time at the hotel however had we been there for any other function that may have been a small issue.

Overall it was a very clean and modern, full-service Marriott which I would recommended to anyone staying in the Minnetonka area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank RockJock44
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
I am glad to read that the wedding you attended was a success. I will ensure that I share your comments regarding the food with the chef. I am sure he will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food while staying here and attending the event.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My family and I stayed recently at this hotel after I had stayed there nearly 10 years ago. The hotel’s facilities and service has improved markedly and if you need an excellent business hotel - this Marriott should serve your needs.

We were able to secure an upgrade to one of the corner 1 bedroom suites whose expansive windows allowed us a beautiful view of downtown Minneapolis and most of the southwest suburbs. If you are able to get an upgrade to a Concierge level, you can have access to the Concierge Lounge on the 17th floor which has finger food and beverages (alcoholic for a nominal cost). The rooms are relatively standard Marriott hotel rooms.

We ate a couple nights at the hotel restaurant and while the food is not spectacular, the standard hotel American options were more than fine if you don’t have time to trek to a non-hotel restaurant. As this hotel is located in a corporate park, there are absolutely no restaurants or bars in walking distance. The nearest such places are close to 10 minutes away by car.

As for recreation, the gym had all the basic cardio and workout equipment and there never seemed to be a crowd in the morning or evening. While the swimming pool is indoor, the water was definitely a little bit on the cooler side and with outdoor temperatures in the 50’s or so, the pool water was not really inviting. Rather we skipped it and went straight to the whirlpool. There is also a nice walking / jogging trail from the hotel which provides a walk through parts of the corporate park.

Because we were staying with two young children we periodically needed some special assistance (i.e. extra bedding for sofa bed, forgotten toys at the restaurant, 24-hr pharmacy, etc.) and I was very pleasantly surprised to see the staff helping us promptly and with a smile. The staff appeared engaged and very willing to help. My wife needed some assistance at the business center and someone very quickly helped her as well.

Other reviews have noted that this hotel’s location in a large corporate park does have a labyrinthine systems of streets. And while driving on them may appear disorienting, the way to the hotel and from the hotel to the highway is all one-way, so it would be difficult to get lost. Just simply follow the one-way streets and follow signs for the Marriott or Highway 169 and you’ll be just fine.

I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bt_mpls_traveler
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for the kind words regarding the staff assisting you during your stay. The team will be thrilled to know you enjoyed your visit with us.
New Richmond, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a very nice hotel overall. Clean room, excellent food, service is very good and prompt. I am on a conference committee so we had our two day conference here for two years now. Overall it is a great place for a conference. What stuck in everyone's craw this year was having to pay for internet every time you turn around. It is $12.95 per connection in the guest rooms and $55 per person in the conference rooms! That is totally out of line. It just may be a deal breaker since many of our participants are in jobs without backup so they need to be able to connect. I think $55 is gouging. Actually I think $12.95 per connection is gouging! We will be looking for venues that do not charge these exorbitant fees. The hotel is located in a business park that is all one ways which makes trying to find your way in or out very difficulty and confusing. There really aren't many places to eat within walking distance either.

Room Tip: Check hotel booking sites. I was able to get two of my three nights cheaper than the hotel conferenc...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank bearpawqs
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights and found it to be a very nice hotel. A nice open feel when entering the large lobby. Clean, courteous, nice restaurant which we only ate breakfast in once (a little spendy), nice open bar next to the lobby. The pool area is clean (although the pool is a little cold) and small hot tub. Big sauna with a window to look at pool. Nice exercise room also overlooking pool area. Restrooms by the pool have showers and are nicely stocked. You can go outside from the pool area where there is a pond and rocking chairs and the outdoor seating for the restaurant. The staff--helpful and friendly. Small complaints: We are silver members and couldn't use the concierge lounge, only gold members could, and we were put in the middle of a party group and they were very loud one night banging on doors and calling our room at 3 am. I don't like being stuck in the middle of a large group like that. Otherwise, we had a great stay and would return. The night we checked in the hotel was full of officers and secret service--Presidential hopeful Romney was staying there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelfromDuluth
Thank you for the great comments regarding the pool area and restaurant, I am glad you were able to enjoy some of the hotels features. I would like to apologize for the large group in house at the same time as your visit disturbing your night.
Santee, California
Reviewed August 13, 2012

On the outside this looks like 100 other Marriotts where I've stayed. Nice, neat, nothing really to note plus or minus. But the inside! Like the oyster, the pearls are on the inside. But here the pearls are the employees. Marion, at the front desk, greeted me like she's known me for years, and she's glad I'm back. Mike, managing behind the bar, not only remembers my cocktail preference, but exactly how I like them served. Jennifer and others in this area all share the same quality. Big smiles, glad to meet you, come back soon. I noted the housekeeping staff always had a ready smile as well.
The food was certainly not ordinary. The local Pike, and the MN favorite, wild rice, were as good as in any restaurant in the area. The beds and bed linen are great.
They should upgrade the towels. They are a little industrial in weight and fragrance.

Room Tip: The *01 rooms are a little bigger, but like all corporations today, they want a little more money fo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
It always brightens my day when I hear stories about how well the staff is taking care of our guests. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Big Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had a large corporate group stay which overall was very good. The hotel is located on some atractively manicured grounds in a business park. No road noise but easy access to Hwy. 169. Rooms are standard Marriott with plenty of light. Rooms are business traveler friendly with a comfortable work station with plenty of outlets and light. They do charge for internet. Rooms were clean with fresh linens and comfortable beds. Large flat screen TV. Bathrooms were clean, adequate towels and standard Marriott amenities. Shower had plenty of pressure and hot water. Staff was very very helpful and always greated guests with a smile and a hello. Restaurant service was very good. We only ate at breakfast buffet once, and the food was nicely prepared. The courtyard was the hightlght of this property which allowed a comfortable relaxing experience near their fire pit. Overall a pleasent stay.

P.S. I understand they over sold rooms and asked that some of our local guests relocate for our final evening due to a wedding they had booked.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the detailed summary of our amenities and of your stay. I am glad that you were able to experience all that we have to offer.
NC
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I've been here 5 or so times as a business traveler. The staff is always helpful and nice. The pool and grounds are nice and well kept. The rooms are clean. Coffee maker, iron, hairdryer in room. The little hydroponic garden and greenhouse are a nice touch.

Room Tip: Being next to the elevator was not at all a bad thing. I never even heard it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the kind words regarding our hotel. I am glad you got a chance to see our hydroponic garden, we are very proud of our ability to provide natural pesticide free food. I hope you get a chance to stay with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minnetonka
La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis-Minnetonka
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Eden Prairie
Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis / West-Minnetonka
Home2 Suites by Hilton Minneapolis-Eden Prairie
Sheraton Minneapolis West Hotel
Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Eden Prairie

Been to Minneapolis Marriott Southwest? Share your experiences!