“A nearly no-service hotel”

Minneapolis Marriott Southwest
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Minnetonka
Reviewed January 30, 2008

What does $138 per night get you?
1. A room - mostly clean, no view, out of date and heavily worn furniture.
2. No wireless internet. Wired internet available for 12.95 per day (yes that's per day).
3. No complimentary breakfast. A Super 8 type breakfast is available (toast, fruit, yogurt) for $9. A full breakfast is avalable for $14.
4. A shockingly out of date website and in room binder: "Two Restaurants in the hotel" means one restaurant. "Gift Shop" means closet with mini toothpaste and razors for sale. (and I mean 4 square feet of space.) "Business center" means dell computer available for rent. "Print from your room and have the copies delivered to your door" means we don't know how you can print from your room so don't worry about how their getting to your door. "Valet Parking" means park it yourself, lazybones, we're not even going to put salt on the sidewalks. "Internet Browser/WebTV" means hahahahhahah right! "Bathtub with spray jets" means bathtub with shower head. "Seperate bathtub and shower" means Bathtub on floor, shower head on wall.

On the plus side, Room service was fast and excellent, and available up to 11pm.

Basically, a decent, clean, safe hotel with NO free amenities or charm.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed December 28, 2007

I stayed at the Marriott Southwest in October for a couple of nights, and I highly recommend this facility if you are needing accomodations in the area. Easy access from the airport, not a bad drive. Located in a very nice business park. Check in was a breeze; fast, with friendly counter staff. A computer and printer is provided right at the check-in counter so you can print out airline boarding passes....sweet! The bar is located in a cavernous lobby area, which can be very noisy. The weekend I was there, there were quite a few girls hockey teams staying there for a tournament, but I didn't really hear them much. My room was nice and clean. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on; even better than at home. Only complaint about the room was the coffee set-up didn't include tea or decaf coffee. No free in room internet access, although if you need free access, go to any local Caribou Coffee and they have free accounts for access. Parking was plentiful. Typical hotel amenities like gift shop, gym etc...overall very nice. For the money ($81 USD a night) it is a great bargain. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank HoopyKat
Reviewed December 26, 2007

We have stayed in this hotel a couple of times over the Holiday Season while visiting Minneapolis for Theater events. We found the lobby very impressive and it reminded us of the Marriott we stayed in while visiting Milan, Italy. The marble floors and open space was very inviting.

The room was warm and the bed was made with six or so pillows. The bedspread linen comforter was nice to sleep under on a cold night.

The bartender was friendly and the desk helpful.

We would recommend the hotel. We booked online for a special that was non refundable but enjoyed the savings ($79)

I rate this hotel excellent!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SlowNnice
Reviewed November 20, 2007

Over the past years the Marriott Southwest had gone down in quality and I felt I had to write a review after my most recent stay. We booked on the Marriott.com website and got a $69 weekend rate. The rooms have all been updated and the breakfast buffet is large, fresh and has an omelet making station. It has by far the best Marriott buffet in the Minneapolis area. This Marriott has a huge pool and very nice 8 person hot tub, but the extra is a fitness room, a steam room and a sauna. We were very happy to see all common areas updated and although the front desk wasn't extremely friendly, they were professional. I would highly recommend the Marriott Southwest.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Megan from Marriott helped me book, and took extra care to assure me that our large dog was allowed and welcomed. Upon arrival, Megan and the other front desk ladies were all smiles and even took time to pet our dog. Check-in was very quick too.

I found our room (2 room suite) to be clean & spacious. Even the bubble-jet tub was clean enough to use right away (often these worry me)!

The property was quiet & nice, plenty of green space to walk the dog. (Good for people too)

Room service was timely and friendly. We were able to order Starbucks White Chocolate Mochas to be delivered in the morning, which was a wonderful treat. The food we had in the dining area was very good too.

When in Minneapolis again, I will be staying here.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DexterDurham
Reviewed October 22, 2007

I checked in to this hotel at 7pm. The lady at the front desk had a name tag that said something something manager, so you'd expect her to be friendly as could be...WRONG! She was a [--]!! I checked in 2 rooms, with 2 friends, and 2 toddlers, and a 12 year old. This [--] charged $120 extra to my card for no reason. When I found out about it an hour after checking in by calling to see what my card balance was, I immediatley contacted the woman who checked us in. She refused to answer any questions as to why I was charged, saying only its hotel policy and that I should have read the fine print. I asked the woman for the fine print she was talking about and she couldnt give me anything. It's been 3 days since I checked out and my money has still not been put back on my card!

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank lindsl002
Reviewed September 24, 2007

Marriott Minneapolis Southwest is a GREAT hotel. I'm not usually that crazy about large facilities, but this one is a gem. After reading the positive reviews by fellow TripAdvisor members, I booked 2 nights at this location, and my companion and I were extremely satisfied. The room was just right for us--beds that felt like sleeping on cozy marshmallows, a nice late-night bar, and super-quiet. We may have just been lucky, but we didn't hear a peep from anyone, and the place was pretty crowded. I will continue using TripAdvisor to guide my lodging choices. Hats off to Marriott!

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minnetonka
Millennium Minneapolis
Downtown
W Minneapolis - The Foshay
W Minneapolis - The Foshay
#11 of 50 in Minneapolis

Been to Minneapolis Marriott Southwest? Share your experiences!