“Relaxing Weekend at the Marriot” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Minneapolis Marriott Southwest

Minneapolis Marriott Southwest
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Minnetonka
New York City, New York
“Relaxing Weekend at the Marriot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

Very nice stay at the Marriot in the King Whirlpool Suite. Bedroom separated from main living area. Very comfortable king sized bed with plenty of pillows. Excellent soundproofing. Television in the bedroom and living area, but had no desire or time to watch.
The whirlpool jacuzzi was large enough and comfortable enough for two. Plenty of towels. Nothing special about the bathroom amenities. The water closet is walled off from view which was nice. The hotel staff was very accomodating. The housekeeping staff missed cleaning the room, but as soon as they were notified they were right there to clean. The hotel is located on the west side of Minneapolis. Getting dowtown took less than a 10 minute drive.
Only one complaint. The airconditioning comes on like a roar without any control to turn down the fan. It didn't wake us up during the night, but for a light sleeper it might
there is a Caribou Coffee shop nearby as well as a Deli Restaurant. did not eat in the Marriot.
All in all a very nice, relaxing stay at a reliable, clean and friendly Marriot.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nycnative1919
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
I am very happy to hear that you were able to have a relaxing weekend while staying with us. The kind comments you posted about your stay are very much appreciated. I would like to offer my apology for the AC noise and housekeeping incident. I would welcome a call from you so I can identify what room you stayed in to ensure this noise issue is resolved. Again, thank you for staying with us.

Scott Jacobi
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

This is a very nice Marriott that's tucked away from many of the city's core attractions so I've never really had any issue getting an available room. I've stayed here a number of times in the past and it's never really changed in appearance other than some minor updates over the years - larger, flat panel TV's, better bedding, new carpet, etc. It probably does need some updating and I read on the news where Marriott was planning on some major upgrades this year across all their main Marriott hotels.

Some of the positive that I experienced during my stay were: bed was comfortable and new sheets and comforter for bed, the room was clean and, more importantly, smelled good. The restaurant serves very good food so if you're stuck in the hotel no need to worry. The bathrooms are nice, well maintained, and the shower has good water pressure and hot water is available immediately. If you're lucky enough to be a gold member you'll enjoy the concierge lounge which is excellent and well maintained with lots of god drinks and food. Lastly, the workout room is small but has very good equipment and enjoyable for working out. Some of the treadmills weren't working completely so they should inspect those each day.

Some of the improvement areas are pretty minor but worth listing. The air conditioning worked okay for the most part but it didn't seem to cool down very much. I was going for some cold air and it got cool in the room. The other thing that I firmly believe this hotel needs to invest in are humidifiers for use in the rooms. In the winter in Minnesota the rooms get dry and having a humidifier would be very helpful and make things more pleasant especially when you're there for a number of days. I know the Hilton Hotel about 5 miles away has a number of them they hand out to guests, this hotel should do the same. Money well spent.

All in all, a great hotel that's safe, very nice workers, and a great experience. You'll enjoy staying here for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are warmer so you need good AC to cool it down
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ScubaDiver9184
Scott J, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear ScubaDive9184,

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback about your recent stay. It is comments like yours that help us continually improve our products and services. I will make sure that your comments are shared with the leadership team. Thank you for staying with us, I hope we can accomodate you again soon.

Scott Jacobi
Director of Operations
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

Overall our stay was nice. We had a whirlpool suite, it was a spacious room and the bed was really comfortable. The whirlpool was relaxing however it said we would have bath supplies and we only got shampoo and lotion. The room decor was a little dated but nothing complain about really. Breakfast was included with our room if it hadn't been it wouldn't have been worth the price. 33 dollars for 2 of us to eat a small buffet wouldn't be worth it. It is near everywhere we needed to go but be sure to double check any directions. We used 3 different navigation websites and all gave different directions.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank kaylalubbers101
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

Just like the title states this Marriot is attempting to be an upper class hotel, but falls short on many of the things that one comes to expect from a higher dollar, nicer hotel. I booked a "King whirlpool Suite" room for my wife and I for a weekend away from the kids, and this place left much to be desired.

First the good: Nice clean establishment from top to bottom. Clean comfortable bed and very nice clean sheets. Room was very nice, clean and furnished well. Two televisions in our suite, both flat screen and nice - with good (not great) channel selection. Temperature control in room was outstanding! Staff overall was fair to good and friendly as a whole.

Now the bad: The bathroom in the room as a whole was very outdated, with basic and bad tile throughout. No refridgerator in the room! I called on this and they said it was "by request only." In a suite? Really? Very loud water sounds from the room above us. Draining water from the tub (I'm guessing) woke us up in the morning. Also, at the breakfast buffet, we sat down and my coffee cup had a bunch of stains on the outside and was sticky! Also the pastries on the buffet looked great, but were dried out and crumbled at the first bite. I had purchased two breakfast buffets as a special with the room, but overheard that the regular price was $16.99! Not worth that at all!But the main issue was the whirlpool in the suite itself. The main reason I booked this room was for the "whirlpool suite," however the first time the whirlpool was used it only worked intermittently and the switch seemed defective. Later that night, it failed to work at all. Since it was late (about 11:00pm) we waited until morning to mention this to the front desk, as we did not want someone coming up there fixing it that night anyway, and just went to bed. The next morning we tried the whirlpool once again and it failed to function again! Upon checkout we mentioned it and were told that we should've called the previous night when it stopped working. I calmly explained to them that it was late and we didn't want a maintenance person invading our room that late and that's why I had waited to tell them. After discussing this for an extended peroid of time with no compensation offered, I was offered "a couple of drinks from Starbucks" as a compensation. Only these had to be used right then, that day, in their hotel lobby. I could also choose to have two cold drinks from their beverage cooler. I left feeling extremely unsatisfied and frustrated. I do not think that I should have been offered a free room for the problems with the whirlpool, however I think it would've been fair to at least discount the room down to a regular suite, since that what it basically turned out to be. When you are competing against other hotels like Hampton Inn and suites who have a 100% satisfaction gaurentee, failing to even offer me a discount on my room rubs me the wrong way! I have stayed at many Hampton Inn's and especially for the money, they treat the guest with much higher level of customer service.

So to sum it all up...Marriot needs to decide what kind of place it wants to be. If it's a high class top of the line motel they need to act like it in all regards. If not, then lower your prices by 50% so people get a fair price for what you are currently offering.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lawman2391
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

Let me put it this way - it took FOUR trips to the front desk to get functioning keys to open our room. One of those times they actually gave us the keys to someone else's room (needless to say we were quite surprised to see clothes and shoes already inside the room when we opened the door). When we returned to the front desk to share this with the hotel staff, their "apology" was minimal at best (we apparently were much more disturbed by this situation than they were). We would have viewed this much differently had the hotel staff been apologetic and acknowledged their mistake.

The hotel was extremely loud with many kids running around (some camped out in a group in the hallway for much of the evening) until 11pm. The hotel restaurant (Stacy's) can only be described as awkward (although the food was pretty good). Very quiet (even though there were about 6 other couples eating there) with no background music and one server for a Saturday night.

We were there using a Crowd Cut coupon so they gave us champagne and strawberries which were great. We also had a free pay-per-view movie which would have been great except the room set up had the television on the left side of the bed so it was not so comfortable to watch the movie from the bed--which, in itself is a small thing, but was just one more annoyance for our already annoying visit. We were very disappointed with this experience and we would not go back even with another discount coupon.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

I stayed at the Marriott Southwest since our business event was held there. I attempted an early check-in but my room wasn't ready yet, which I understood. I had a king room which was surprisingly smaller than I expected, but it met my needs. The room was very clean, the bed was comfortable and flat screen TV was nice (although no golf channel!). The pool/hot tub area was very nice, although the pool was a little cool. There was also a sauna, workout area, and a nice locker room. Be aware, internet is not free in rooms. This is the right hotel for folks that have an expense allowance from their company.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
mpls,mn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

You expect a certain amount of peace and quiet when you stay at a hotel. We you want to feel recharged and relaxed once you hit the road back to the "real" world. At the Minneapolis Marriott Southwest they delivered that atmosphere and more. On a recent one day visit I would observe that it probably was a quiet weekend, in terms of numbers of guests. The parking was plentiful and close to the door. The airy and modern feel of the lobby carried that serene feeling right up to the front desk. We were checked in with speed and were boarding elevators in no time. On a cold and blustery night, the hallway on our floor was freezing as the vents pumped out cold air for some reason.
Once inside the upper floor room, the temps were warm and cozy. The room very clean and tastefully decorated. The temp controls in the room adjusted quietly and precisely for comfort.
The bed was very comfortable and full of pillows. The TV and remote worked in tandem efficiency and were of good quality.
The breakfast buffet was full of the usual choices. The food was mild on taste but consistent in presentation. The service was wonderfully reserved but attentive.
I enjoyed the quiet and comfort of a hotel that was updated and working like how a professional operation should run.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minnetonka
La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis-Minnetonka
Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis / West-Minnetonka
Sheraton Minneapolis West Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Eden Prairie
Minneapolis Marriott West
Minneapolis Marriott West
#4 of 6 in Saint Louis Park
Hyatt Regency Bloomington-Minneapolis

Been to Minneapolis Marriott Southwest? Share your experiences!