“High Priced in the Midst of Renovations”

Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis-Minnetonka
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Minnetonka
Lemmon, South Dakota
“High Priced in the Midst of Renovations”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've stayed here before and it was on par with a typical Holiday Inn Express experience. This time, the hotel was under major renovation. We were redirected to enter through a back entrance and had to haul luggage through a construction zone (guys had to stop grouting tile in order to let us through). The front desk was draped in plastic from the ceiling. They were scraping off popcorn ceilings and it splattered texture on us as we checked in. I can live with that but they refused to give us a discount (due to many normal amenities being unavailable) and charged $170 a night (insanely high price under normal circumstances). Probably would have walked out but we took a cab from the airport and the location is convenient. I will grant that the room is nicely renovated and clean. After eating supper, the entire lobby was blocked off and the elevators were not available. Once renovation is complete, this will likely be a good place to stay if you can secure a reasonable rate. There is a Jimmy John's and a nice, high-end restaurant within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis-Minnetonka, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Travis M,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back.

Ferdinand G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Really, I can understand renovations but this was ridiculous. Not one apology all week long and they had the gall to ask how my visit was. REALLY, between the inconvnence, no hot breakfast, no fitness/swimming pool/hot tub, debris/dirt/noise, edgy housekeepers it was great. What a joke. The management asked how my visit was and I said it SUCKED. They said they would make it right with 5000 Priority Club points. That helped but when they credited me with 500 points it was a joke. I will not stay here ever again and will stay at a Motel 6 before I stay at this place. They have a shuttle. Right, it hasn't worked in months so my wife was stuck at the hotel for the week. But there is plenty to do right? Yes, if you count listeing to the workers use profanity in the hallways or drag massive amounts of dirt/snow/debris in the hotel. I'm sure the hotel will be nice after the renovations but I won't know since I will NEVER stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis-Minnetonka, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear frhays,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Member, staying with us and leaving a review about your visit. We have sent you a private message to address your concerns further.

Kind Regards,

Pam G
Sherman, Texas
Reviewed January 23, 2014

The property was under renovation, however, the room was updated and very comfortable. Clean, great beds. The staff was very helpful! I'd stay there again.It was an easy to and from the airport. The breakfast was fine, in temporary facilities.

Room Tip: As a Priority Club member ...I askled for an upgradre...and got a suite!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Schaumburg
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I was referred to this hotel when my reservation was lost at their "sister hotel". The front desk staff was friendly but extremely slow at checking me in. I took about 20 minutes to check in as the person at the front desk was constantly distracted by other guests and hotel employees. The hotel lobby is currently under rennovation and the lobby was completely torn apart. Unfortuntately, my room was located right across from the lobby. The lobby and hallway were full of dust and construction materials. A women was vacuuming the hallway and talking very loudly on her cell phone the whole time (about an hour) right outside the door to my room. And this wonderful service and atmosphere cost me $200/night. I checked out the next morning to a much nicer hotel which cost much less. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night due to car problems. Hotel was nice. Didn't check out any of the amenities since it was just an overnight stay. It's a non smoking hotel which was fine with me even though I am a light smoker. The breakfast in the lobby in the morning was good and hot.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Recently stayed here in a Jacuzzi suite with my spouse for the weekend. Was not at all impressed with the room as the floor creaked when you walked on it. The floor above us was equally as loud and we woke up about 5am when the people above us started to walk around in the morning. Breakfast was ok and the pool area was fine. Would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis-Minnetonka, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear mdhokenson,

Ben J
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Overall what you would expect in an HIE. Room was clean and comfortable. Exercise room treadmills were a bit dated but worked fine. Nice pool area. Standard HIE breakfast.

The property is currently renovating their rooms which it looks like it is about the right time to be doing it before they get really run down.

Convenient beagle and coffee shop next door a long with a couple if Restaurant options. Would stay again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minnetonka
La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis-Minnetonka
Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis / West-Minnetonka
Minneapolis Marriott Southwest
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Eden Prairie
Sheraton Minneapolis West Hotel
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Minneapolis West

Been to Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis-Minnetonka? Share your experiences!