“Somewhat Interesting”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Somewhat Interesting”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Visited the winery today and of course being mid November there weren't any grapes to see in the vineyard, however, the owner did take us out to the vineyard and taught us a bit about the grapes that grow in our cold weather. This hearty breed of grape could grow in -40 degree weather! He said that if he laid out the grape vines they would stretch 8 kms.! We then went inside where we got to taste the different wines. He has white, red and rose wines which go by the amusing names of Purple Cow, Pink Cow and Yellow Cow?? After trying all three wines, I settled on a bottle of the Pink Cow which is the rose. A great little wine for $15.00. By the way, he grows the grapes without any pesticides and I think he said he's certified organic. A nice little distraction if you're in the area.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank Baylam

Pakenham, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Not a whole lot to see, and a so-so product”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I saw this winery listed as a 'place to visit' while on a tour of the eastern tip of Ontario, so while passing through Vankleek Hill we stopped to see what was what. The facility is quite new and tidy, and their products are completely organic. We tasted both the red and rose and found them to be very "young", but hope the red (which we purchased) will improve with age. I think this winery has potential, but needs some time to polish their product a bit more to reach the established standards of Ontario wines.

I prefer the products from Domaine du Cervin, a winery located near Chesterville ON, but think that Vankleek Hill Vineyard will improve.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank 54Kardinal
Ottawa, Canada
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Vankleek Hill, Ontario”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My two daughters, my Great grandson and myself decided to take a drive to visit the many attractions of this town. Our first stop was the Purple Cow Winery. We tried a sampling of their white, their rose, and their red. We of course bought one of each, as well as some cheese and crackers. The winery is off the main road, so my Great grandson was able to have fun without our worrying about traffic, and loved listening to the birds, etc.

We then stopped at the Sunntyside Alpaca Ranch, thinking that he would be bored if we just did adult things, as he is 6 going on 7. To our suprise, we enjoyed it as much or more than he did. The owner came out to greet us, along with his two friendly poodles, that were so happy to see visitors. We walked around and he told us all about how he got started with this venture, and how he has people (as well as others in and around the area) come up from New Brunswick to shear the Alpacas (he and his wife have named each and every one of them) and then they have knitters who make Shawls, Pashminas, Afghans, mittens, scarves, hats, etc., for sale along with the wonderfully soft wool (almost like cashmere to the touch). These animals are all Award Winning Alpacas, both single and double registered, etc. Once again, although Damien was very interested, there was a lot of room for him to run with the dogs, an old fashioned swing hung from a big old tree, so it was very enjoyable.

We then headed to Beau's Brewery, where we took a tour - and although we had done this to the Keith's Brewery (the original one in Nova Scotia) and the Kidi Vidi one in Newfoundland, this was the biggest one we have seen so far. We enjoyed a tour of the operations, and then enjoyed a sampling of their Lug Tread beer, and I tried the Festivale, which was their Seasonal - Summer brew. Of course we had to purchase a few of these.

By this time we were getting hungry, so we went into the main town, which is beautiful. All the old fashioned Gingerbread houses, which are so pretty. We went to the Trillium Tea Room, which had a great variety of sandwiches for their luncheon specials, which were delicious, and served by very friendly people.

After this, we took in the Museum, saw the stores with the great hand painted murals on the side, and then on to Higginson Tower. Unfortunately, there were many stairs to climb in this tower, so I let my daughters and Damien do this, while I waited in the car. It was almost closing time, but they were allowed to go to the top, and take a few pictures,. They also got many pictures of artifacts, etc., on the walls inside the tower.

All and all, it was a great trip, and a fun way to spend the Saturday before Labour Day. We headed home tired, but happy that we went and intend to return soon, and have been told of various things of interest in the upcoming months..

Visited September 2012
1 Thank marilynr_brown
Lucerne, Switzerland
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Nice to visit!”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I visited a lot of vineyards in Europe and it was fun to see the Canadian way of brewing wine. It are just small differences but it makes a total different taste then the traditional European wines.
Really nice to visit and try some wonderful wines!

Visited May 2012
4 Thank SanderCools
Montreal, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 275 helpful votes
“Just go!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I usually don`t write about restaurant or places like this but I figured I would share this with all of you. I have tried many wineries in the Niagara region, and as beautiful as they are Vankleek hill wineries is unique, it`s the only one I know that`s located on the Ontario-Quebec border just off AutoRoute 417 basically next to Hawkesbury. Having been there several times I just love the ground around this winery, this property is huge I mean huge. The owner Marty is most interesting and is totally passionate about his work, as some say he knows his grapes and he can explain in detail everything anyone could want to know about making wine. There is a centennial farmhouse one of the oldest in this area and grape fields growing all around this property, truly beautiful. There`s also a few tables gathered around if you want to bring a bite and just buy a bottle of his wine. His white wine and rose are amongst my favorites, you can also try some fine cheeses that are also locally made. It seems that every time I`ve gone to this place there`s always something going on. I believe this place is open seven days a week like 9 to 5 and although you won`t find a selection like at the LCBO, the experience of being there is well worth the detour. Cheers to all!

Visited April 2012