“Vankleek Hill, Ontario”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Vankleek Hill Vineyard
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My two daughters, my Great grandson and myself decided to take a drive to visit the many attractions of this town. Our first stop was the Purple Cow Winery. We tried a sampling of their white, their rose, and their red. We of course bought one of each, as well as some cheese and crackers. The winery is off the main road, so my Great grandson was able to have fun without our worrying about traffic, and loved listening to the birds, etc.

We then stopped at the Sunntyside Alpaca Ranch, thinking that he would be bored if we just did adult things, as he is 6 going on 7. To our suprise, we enjoyed it as much or more than he did. The owner came out to greet us, along with his two friendly poodles, that were so happy to see visitors. We walked around and he told us all about how he got started with this venture, and how he has people (as well as others in and around the area) come up from New Brunswick to shear the Alpacas (he and his wife have named each and every one of them) and then they have knitters who make Shawls, Pashminas, Afghans, mittens, scarves, hats, etc., for sale along with the wonderfully soft wool (almost like cashmere to the touch). These animals are all Award Winning Alpacas, both single and double registered, etc. Once again, although Damien was very interested, there was a lot of room for him to run with the dogs, an old fashioned swing hung from a big old tree, so it was very enjoyable.

We then headed to Beau's Brewery, where we took a tour - and although we had done this to the Keith's Brewery (the original one in Nova Scotia) and the Kidi Vidi one in Newfoundland, this was the biggest one we have seen so far. We enjoyed a tour of the operations, and then enjoyed a sampling of their Lug Tread beer, and I tried the Festivale, which was their Seasonal - Summer brew. Of course we had to purchase a few of these.

By this time we were getting hungry, so we went into the main town, which is beautiful. All the old fashioned Gingerbread houses, which are so pretty. We went to the Trillium Tea Room, which had a great variety of sandwiches for their luncheon specials, which were delicious, and served by very friendly people.

After this, we took in the Museum, saw the stores with the great hand painted murals on the side, and then on to Higginson Tower. Unfortunately, there were many stairs to climb in this tower, so I let my daughters and Damien do this, while I waited in the car. It was almost closing time, but they were allowed to go to the top, and take a few pictures,. They also got many pictures of artifacts, etc., on the walls inside the tower.

All and all, it was a great trip, and a fun way to spend the Saturday before Labour Day. We headed home tired, but happy that we went and intend to return soon, and have been told of various things of interest in the upcoming months..

3  Thank marilynr_brown

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I visited a lot of vineyards in Europe and it was fun to see the Canadian way of brewing wine. It are just small differences but it makes a total different taste then the traditional European wines.
Really nice to visit and try some wonderful wines!

4  Thank SanderCools
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I usually don`t write about restaurant or places like this but I figured I would share this with all of you. I have tried many wineries in the Niagara region, and as beautiful as they are Vankleek hill wineries is unique, it`s the only one I know that`s located on the Ontario-Quebec border just off AutoRoute 417 basically next to Hawkesbury. Having been there several times I just love the ground around this winery, this property is huge I mean huge. The owner Marty is most interesting and is totally passionate about his work, as some say he knows his grapes and he can explain in detail everything anyone could want to know about making wine. There is a centennial farmhouse one of the oldest in this area and grape fields growing all around this property, truly beautiful. There`s also a few tables gathered around if you want to bring a bite and just buy a bottle of his wine. His white wine and rose are amongst my favorites, you can also try some fine cheeses that are also locally made. It seems that every time I`ve gone to this place there`s always something going on. I believe this place is open seven days a week like 9 to 5 and although you won`t find a selection like at the LCBO, the experience of being there is well worth the detour. Cheers to all!

4  Thank Mikealoneathome
Reviewed May 11, 2012

After my mom saw the winery on Regonal Contact, we headed up to check it out. Growing up on a farm in Hawksburry, the close local winery struck our interest. We made the 2 hour drive and picked up a case of mixed Purple Cow, Yellow Cow and Pink Cow. Enjoying a glass of Yellow Cow right now. The owner was wholesome, and very knowledgable. His prompt email response in regards to a tour and tasting was greatly appreciated. Definatly will be back! Wish it was in LCBO stores, because the trip from Petawawa ON is a good treck; but we will stock up when we are there!

4  Thank buckybuck
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My friends and I stopped by at Vankleek Hill Vinyard a few times and let me tell you guys that this place has a lot of potential. We've been delighted by the charm of the instalations and also by the knowledge on the vinery we got from talking with the owner.
If we consider the climat up here in the Hawkesbury area, the wine is extremely good and can be compared with some pretty good little vintages that you can find at the LCBO. Obviously, the owner knows his grape and how to transform it to assure us a wonderful result.

To all the organic and local supporters, my friends and I suggest you do try this remembering experience and judge by yourselves how people from eastern ontario can share their passion and make their dreams come true.

Charles-O