“Impressive hotel at one point, but unfortunately no longer.”

Hotel Ivy, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Minneapolis
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We are loyal Hotel Ivy customers but the last few times we have stayed at the property have been extremely disappointing. Our last trip is a perfect example. We made reservations online and received an email confirmation. Upon check-in there was apparently no record of our reservation, and even after showing proof with the email, did not receive the expected rate (without further prodding) nor did we receive an apology.

We had booked two rooms for two nights and one of the rooms had such dirty carpet that we had to lay down towels on which to walk. We asked the following day to change rooms and were put on another floor. That room too had dirty carpet and no waste baskets in either the room or the bathroom. There was also a large party of girls staying on this floor that returned to the property after 2 am to continue their festivities on the floor; and upon calling the front desk we were told that once they went into their rooms things would quiet down. Needless to say, they did not retreat to their respective rooms for a significant amount of time, resulting in a very disruptive night's sleep.

Finally, neither of our rooms received the usual turn down service we are used to in hotels that attempt to be of this caliber.

All in all, the last few trips to this property have been a huge disappointment and we hope that they turn things around soon or we will need to become loyal followers of another property in the Twin Cities.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kristen Z

Reviewed June 2, 2014

this was a good centrally located hotel. The rooms were not the typical cookie cutter, lovely chaise lounge and a great he bathtub!!! The restaurant had very good food and the bar had some original and refreshing cocktails. They served the best Bloody Mary ever!! Every staff member was genuinely friendly!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Andrew F, General Manager at Hotel Ivy, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear Bellster1008,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Ivy Minneapolis and thank you as well for the glowing remarks! I will be sure to share your comments with my entire team.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Good value, nice property, a little off the main strip downtown, restaurant is average, service is very good and the rooms are very nice also. Nice building and spa and the facilities for working out are very nice too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Andrew F, General Manager at Hotel Ivy, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Dear jasongonella,

Thank you for your recent stay at the hotel Ivy and thank you for your kind comments as well. I will be sure to share them with my entire team. I do hope you will return soon!

Reviewed May 29, 2014

This was our first time at the Ivy, though not the first time to Minneapolis. We were there for a 3-day conference, preceded by a weeklong vacation. We arrived early, about 10:30 a.m., having taken an early morning flight and we were given a room right away. The desk clerk gave us the distinct impression that they were not very busy. When I booked the room, I had asked for decaf coffee in the room, and there it was, only decaf coffee. The room was spacious and the linens high quality, but after one night, we asked for a change. Somehow, the booking company had booked us an accessible room, which did not suit us at all. Since we were staying for 9 nights, we wanted to be comfortable. There was absolutely no problem getting a different room. Our request was met with respect and courtesy, and a staff member arrived promptly with the key when I called to say we were ready to move. The second room was much better suited to our needs, with a deep tub and separate shower, though the water pressure was unsatisfactorily low. I'm guessing that the low-flow shower head is an environmental measure. Too bad they don't know about the ones that give low flow and good pressure! In both rooms, the last hook on each curtain was pulled off the track!
We opted for the no housekeeping plan, to acquire Starwood points instead. However, there seemed to be some challenges in their communication or record keeping, because we had full housekeeping service more often than not. The housekeeper also didn't get the instruction that we only wanted decaf coffee, because every day we had to call for it.
We had 2 robes in the room, one in the closet and one in the bathroom. The closet is a bit small for two people over 10 days, and with 2 robes in there, it definitely is! There were also slippers for 2.
We had breakfast every day in the hotel restaurant, and found the food to be generally of good quality, but the presentation was inconsistent. My husband ordered the same thing every day and it looked different every time.
The staff were friendly and very gracious about fulfilling our every request. There is no ice machine for guests, so when you want ice you have to call and someone will bring it to you. This may seem luxurious, but I can imagine that when the hotel is busy, you could wait quite a long time for ice!
Our room was quiet. We heard no noise from outside, and none from other rooms. Again, maybe because they weren't busy, there was no one in the rooms around us?
The Ivy has a very well equipped gym, offered at no charge to hotel guests. We used it every morning and there were never more than 2 other people in there. No waiting!
The "business centre" is two computers on a desk in the lobby, but it was easy to find and equipped with a printer, at no charge.
Overall, we were satisfied with the Ivy and would stay there again. At $135 per night, breakfast for two included, I don't think you could beat it!

Room Tip: The higher you go, the less street noise you will hear, obviously. General rule, stay away from the...
2  Thank ameier_11

Dear ameier_11,

Thank you for your choosing the Hotel Ivy Minneapolis for you extended stay in our city. I am so happy that you found our hotel suited your needs. Thank you as well for your detailed account of your stay. I will be sure to share both your compliments and suggestions to all of my team. I do hope that you will return soon!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Ivy quite a few times in 2013, and returned recently, and was very disappointed.

While the property is very nice, it's starting to become very dated.

The bathroom is probably the worst part - there is NO, and I mean NO, water pressure in the shower. I don't want to have to spend 30 minutes taking a shower because I can't get the shampoo out of my hair!
Also, they have really cheapened the products in the bathroom. They used to have very nice soap and shampoo, but not anymore.

2  Thank chicagotraveler32

Dear chicagotraveler32,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Ivy and thank you for your constructive comments as well. If you would be able to call me directly, I would love to have a few minutes to talk with you in person.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

I booked into the Ivy on one day's notice having to spend a night in Minneapolis as part of a longer drive. Booking was seamless through Amex FHR and benefits were explained to me over the phone. Called the hotel to request a king-bedded room as they were sold out and I could only book a double. Told this was impossible, I played it by ear and asked again when I arrived.

Valet staff were a bit aloof; the lobby, however, has an understated feel not unlike the Elysian (Waldorf) in Chicago which is a similar condo-hotel build. I was blocked into a top floor room with two double beds; after some negotiation the desk was able to shuffle things around and find me a king (grand deluxe) room also on the top floor. This room, though somewhat cramped and poorly laid out, did feature a bathroom with window by the tub. Surprisingly, though, no shower head or separate nozzle in the tub. Overall a nice four-star hotel room--high quality bedding, excellent toiletries (same brand as St. Regis) but otherwise haphazardly designed with too much bulky furniture and bad curtains. Furthermore, simply bad exterior soundproofing to the hallways as well as load-bearing walls between rooms--heard every word from our neighbor's room. For the rate ($160), I wouldn't complain, but this was probably the lowest-end Fine Hotel I can think of.

Restaurant was pleasant enough--personable bartender made us excellent classic cocktails (and charged $9 for a beefeater martini, the cheapest I've seen anywhere) and they were able to arrange a nice dinner for us on the patio. Smoking is allowed, for those who care. Somewhat interesting wine list with some hidden Alsace and Italian gems among otherwise blasé bottles. Food was particularly good and the menu varied and enticing.

Front desk staff screwed up the rate, was unclear in explaining Amex benefits, and gave far too much pushback in trying to arrange for a king-bedded room. Despite the low rate, I didn't feel any great value from the hotel nor any warmth or personal service whatsoever. Just a very average feel to the whole place. I probably wouldn't return; either seeking out value at the Hotel Minneapolis (see other review) or booking into a suite at the W on the higher-end. However, I'd stop over at the restaurant for dinner if I"m back in the city again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NA1090

Dear NA1090,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Ivy Minneapolis and thank you for your detailed comments as well. I will be sure to review and share with my entire team. I am happy that you enjoyed our restaurant. The hotel will go under a complete renovation this winter and I do hope that you will visit us in the future. Please feel free to call me whenever you are in town.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

The location was perfect as we attended an event at the Minneapolis Convention Center and walked the skyway. The staff was extremely friendly. When we arrived one of the beds had a large rip in the comforter and we had one robe while others in our group had at least two. I would stay again, however as the pros definitely outweighed the cons.

Stayed: April 2014
Andrew F, General Manager at Hotel Ivy, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear Amy O,

Thank you so much for your recent stay at the Hotel Ivy and for your kind comments as well. I agree that the hotel staff is wonderful and we are fortunate with our location. We are addressing the linen issues immediately, thank you for that insight.

I hope to see you again very soon.