“Okay but not great”

Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Kansas City
“Okay but not great”
Reviewed April 18, 2008

We stayed at the Doubletree for three nights in early April 2008. We booked our room at the very last minute--10 minutes before we arrived--when we realized that our first hotel was not within walking distance of the convention center. The staff at the Doubletree was more than accomodating. They gave us a large suite for only $139 a night.

The room was large and very clean. But the furniture and walls were a little old and tired. The bath area was tiny! But the bed was just wonderful-large and soft. I slept great!. You get breakfast coupons for a full breakfast in the restaurant. The food was tasty.

On the negative side, there was no air in the room so it became very, very hot. We had to sleep with the windows open which made for noisy sleeping. Wi-fi is only available in the lobby, which is a pain. The front desk didn't have a map of Minneapolis which I thought was strange.

I'd stay here again if the rate is low enough but if they increase prices, I think I would look for a more luxurious property.

• Liked — Good value for the price
  • Disliked — Room was very hot.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank DBfromKC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Minnesota
Reviewed February 7, 2008

Went down for the boat show and got a great deal on this property right by the Convention Center. The rooms were all suites and very clean. Pillows and bedding were top notch! Parking was a breeze and all staff were very friendly. A lounge is on property but is sparcely stocked, so if you're a common cocktail person or into beer....this is the place for you. Would definitely stay there again!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank llychornblower
Ohio
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Spacious suites, individual climate controlled, extremely comfortable bed and great shower. There are several limitations--no in-room internet access and the local free signals are blocked from the room. This means you have to pay an additional $10 a day for internet access when it should be free. The TV has few channels to select. The food is good but quite expensive and the services are very slow. They are a little better at breakfast but with so few people in the restaurant, they should do better. In fact, during dinner the waitress spilled water on me and I got an apology but she should have offered to pay for my meal. So, it is an adequate but not exceptional hotel. I will try something else the next visit. The cost is more then the experience would warrant.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
MB
Reviewed November 11, 2007

Great location, was able to walk everywhere. We were on a group tour so we did not need this service but strangely, I did not see any staff helping guests to their rooms the entire 5 days we spent there. The room was bigger than I expected. Enjoyed the extra room - separate living room with an extra dresser/drawers. Free daily newspapers. Rooms are clean are airy.

The negatives: the most expensive bottled water bottles I've ever seen. No complimentary breakfast, fruits or whatever. Starbucks was always closed whenever I went to it. The attached bar/diningroom is dark and dpressing. Food was good was expensive. A visitor was charged $12 for a few hours parking! The extra drawer dresser had a horrible odour so I could not use it after a day. There was no stain but it smelled like a dead animal.

All my complaints are minor when belanced with the most delicious cookie welcome on out arrival and THE most heavenly bed I've ever slept in. The pillows (each bed had 4 and 2 spare ones in the closet) are fluffy, the sheets comfy and the bed heavenly. Damn you, Doubletree Guest Suites ! Now I sound petty for complaining about the smelly dresser/drawers!

Stayed October 2007
England
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I only stayed at this hotel for one night. I booked fairly late via the website and I would advise trawling carefully through the available rooms list. I got a suite - living room, bedroom, bathroom and kitchenette for the same price as some double rooms. I'm not certain whether the price was good for the area( 209 USD) but it seemed OK to me( I'm based in the UK). I was pleased with the suite and the hotel in general. It's in the heart of the city but near lots of restaurants ( within half a miles walk) and is also only about half a mile from the light railway, which is the best way to get to the Mall of America.

Everywhere was clean, the bed was comfortable and there was an extra TV in the bedroom. If I was being picky I would say that the decor was a bit dated but thats really just looking for a negative.

I had breakfast in the hotel and that was also pretty good. They have a reasonable selection and it's not from a buffet - ie they cook it when it's ordered.

Staff were helpful and advised on restaurants and bars.

If you are looking for a British pub ( why you have gone to America to look for a British pub.....) there is one just round the corner from the hotel and it has a bowling green.

• Liked — The space in the suite and the comfort/size of the bed.
  • Disliked — Slightly faded decor
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed September 28, 2007

Directly across the street from University of St Thomas (where I was doing some work for the second year in a row). This hotel is great. It's all suites. It's not too small and not too large.

I love the cookie at check in.

I had a problem (twice) with my key not working (they say not to keep it by your cell phone--i dont think i did...but whatever--it was a hassle to go to the front desk and show my ID to get a new key made)

I like the free papers (USA Today and the local paper by the elevator in the morning).

This is not a 4 star hotel. But the rooms are great; and so is the service. It is very close to 4 stars.

Stayed September 2007
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 4, 2007

I stayed there with my family this past weekend. It was a nice hotel for the price. The rooms were a decent size, the beds were super comfy (great pillows!) and above all, the location was ideal. We were steps away from Nicolet Mall, where there are numerous shops, restaurants, bars and the greatest Target store ever. Also steps away is Peavey Plaza, which has several water fountains and is a beautiful place to just relax. The staff was pleasant upon arrival, as well as throughout our stay, and the warm chocolate chip cookie was a nice touch. The only downside is that parking can fill up in the garage on the weekends. It is a small garage and we arrived back at the hotel late and discovered that they had no room for our car. We had to actually park a few blocks away. We did get reimbursed the $15.00 for that night so it wasn't the biggest deal. Just an FYI that even though they have a garage, parking is limited. But I would stay there again when in town.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family