“A great deal for your money”

Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown/City Center
Ranked #36 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
South Florida, Florida
“A great deal for your money”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This place has been upgraded in the last five years, it is a great value, great location, nice staff and includes a huge breakfast while being blocks from anything you might want to do. I wish we had just been goofing off in the city instead of having plans, because with a kitchen you could do a lot of your own meals and have some extra money for fancy dining at dinner or anything else you want to do. Loved the set up and the space. Our toilet became a problem and someone came up to fix it in five minutes! Our only complaint would be the air conditioner, which barely kept it at around 80, as it was very hot out perhaps it just could not keep up, but that may bother some people. NOTE, the web site says this is in city center, which is a building housing Marriot City Center, it is actually a block away,but the nice concierge at Marriot validated us to keep our car in the lot there which was outstanding of him.

Room Tip: Our room over looked a parking lot so I can't tell you if there are views here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Iowa
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as we were attending the American Idol Concert at the Target Center. The hotel is in a good location...close to shops, restaurants, and a block from Nicollet Mall. The breakfast was very good - best I have ever had at a RI. I would have rated the hotel excellent, however an error in my booking spoiled our stay and my impression of this particular hotel.

I originally booked the hotel at a senior rate of $263. First of all, I never pay this much for a hotel room. Due to what was going on in Mpls this particular weekend, I went ahead and reserved the room awaiting Marriott Visa issuing my annual free night certificate. I was afraid the hotel would be booked if I waited too long. Once I received the annual free night certificate, I called Marriott Rewards to change the reservation using the free night certificate for one night and 20,000 points for the other night.

When we checked out of the hotel, we did not have a bill underneath our door nor were we given one at the front desk. We didn't ask for one as we assumed we did not owe anything for our room.

After returning home, I was viewing my credit card account online and saw a charge from this RI for $298!!! I called the hotel. They advised the reservation was for $263 for the 2nd night and said they would do nothing. I called Marriott Rewards and spoke to Marriott Customer Care. The advised the Mpls RI of the error and requested they credit my credit card account and use points for the stay. After several e-mails with the hotel manager, they still would not budge. They claimed the reservation was made using points one night and $263 for the 2nd night. They refused to cancel the charges and use my Marriott points after the fact.

This whole fiasco was not my fault. I distinctly recall changing the reservation and the confirmation I received reflected the use of the certificate plus 20,000 points. It showed the rate for the 2nd night, however in bold letters underneath the charges it stated "if you are using points, there will be no charge for the room". How was I supposed to be aware of the mistake on the booking?

I have been a loyal Marriott customer for many years. I pleaded with the Mpls RI to reverse the charges and use points - THEY REFUSED!!! What kind of customer service is that for a loyal Marriott customer?? Never again will I associate with this hotel and advise others to stay elsewhere.

4 Thank WDMTraveler
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This RI is in a great location within walking distance to everything downtown. Rooms are spacious but there are a lot of loose ends that keep it from being above average in my view. A/C unit was very noisy to the point where we just shut it off at night, same goes for the refrigerator. Shower head was spraying water all over the ceiling, I managed to stop the leak. Breakfast was very good except for the fact that the toaster basically didn't work. Staff was friendly and helpful as usual. We have stayed here many times in the past and it just didn't seem quite as good as in the past. Overall though, not a bad choice, just needs a little more TLC from management.

Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our recent stay in Minneapolis. We were in town for a Twins game and this is a great location to walk to the stadium. Parking was cheap compared to other area hotels. We only paid $13 on Thursday and Friday night and $10 for overnight Saturday parking.
The rooms were big and quiet and the breakfast was edible. Our biggest annoyance with this hotel was when we arrived. There is a small area in front of the hotel to unload your car. The hotel is located on a very busy roadway so traffic is fast and furious. When we got to the hotel there were two cars pulled into the unloading zone. We couldn't get our car full in so we had the nose in and the rear of the car into traffic. I sent my wife in to see if the people were ready to move their cars. The shift manager said that one car belonged to a guest who had gone up to their room and the other was the Hotel Owner's Wife who parks there so she can go shopping downtown. REALLY? There is limited unloading and she has to clog up the area so she can go shopping. We were traveling for a week with a baby so we had a FULL car to unload. What a disaster that was. At times I felt like I was going to get hit by a car because I had to unload the car while it was still in traffic. Talk about stress on a vacation. That really set the sour tone for the stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
santa monica
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Was here Oct, 2011 because husband was attending a conference. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite because one of our friend's was also going to the conference. The bedrooms were a generous size and allowed personal space. The living room area was small but we were not going to entertain--so what. The dining table could easily sit 4. The kitchen was well supplied for cooking but not baking. The appliances are full sized: stove/oven, refrigerator, microwave. If you want to buy groceries, Target is 1 block away and carries everything you might want. There is a wonderful breakfast (eggs, breakfast meat, toast, cold cereal, juice, yogurt, etc), and afternoon wine/beer with some light dinner food provided without additional cost. If this isn't good enough--you can take up to your room whatever you want and create your own dish. I made a great microwave apple crumble from their breakfast items.

This hotel is located right where you want to be to explore metropolitan Minneapolis as a newcomer. Hennepin Ave. seems to have the music and theater events. There are many restaurants surrounding you. Exploring the various shopping areas using the raised, enclosed walkways was a blast!. One shopping atrium has a waterfall!! There are great restaurants and bars within a 10-15 min. walk. I felt safe walking at night.

Do not miss the farmer's market that occurs on Thursdays around the corner from the hotel. I never knew that there were so many types of apples that never make to California. "Cheese curds" is something that I've also never seen but taste great--took a bag home.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, high up for great views
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank uzengirl
Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

I tried a lot of differents place in Minneapolis and this one is definitely my favorite. Quiet, simple, easygoing, well located, breakfast and wifi include, kitchenette in room, it's the perfect place for short or long term stay.

• Stayed February 2012
India
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Located bang in the center of the city, this is a good option for those who want to stay within a stone's throw of all action in downtown Minneapolis. They offer complimentary breakfast and evening snacks and the quality of the same is better than any other hotel I have stayed in US. The hotel is connected through the skywalk system.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple