“Plan to wait”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Indian
Good for: Romantic
Neighborhood: Uptown
Reviewed March 27, 2013

There were three of us the night I ate here and really don't mind waiting if there is a waiting area, but since the space is very small, we had to give our phone number to the wait staff and wait in our car for about 40 minutes. The food was pretty good overall but it's not somewhere where I feel I need to go back to. The service was kind of slow, but that would be expected in the caribbean!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Sure, I wouldn't travel from long and far to go here, but I live in the neighborhood and love walking over for something spicy. It's not everywhere you can walk a few blocks, to a dive-like restaurant to get some honest to goodness, spicy, real, delicious food. For $15 you can get authentic jerk chicken, a plate of spicy beans and rice, and some dumplings to go with it. Throw in a homemade ginger beer and you have something fantastic as well as different from the usual cuisine. Great for people on a budget who crave a little bit of spice.

It's not the talk of the town, but I think it's unassuming exterior and the paint cracking on the Marla's sign keeps out a large crowd so it remains a local haunt for people in a two mile radius. Don't get me wrong, I love the loud paint job and the Bob Marley music, but I think it helps drive out some of the food snobs that could be lurking nearby who seemingly help transform dives into expensive dives.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I love jerk food and Marla's does a great job, it reminded me of being in Jamaica. Great flavors and you can get it as hot as you want.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

OK, so it has been easy to drive past this place for years. The decor is super cheesy and neglected. But that pales in comparison with the food! I had fried puffy "dumplings" and stewed chicken that sent me to the moon. I used my tall glass of peanut punch to cool my jets. My son had jerk chicken roti which was a little more spicy than he could handle, but still tasty. I would go back time and again, and so would he, which says a lot coming from an 11 year old boy. Game on!

Reviewed February 8, 2012

I've had some good Caribbean food, and while I love all of the restaurants in the Midwest I've had it at, Marla's takes the cake! Inexpensive, wonderfully laid-back and interesting atmosphere, and stellar food -- what more could you want? You can get your dish flaming hot if you want (and I do!), but I also brought my 9yo son who isn't into spice, and he loved his dish as well. Most of the dishes have a meat, fish, and veg/tofu option. I can't say enough about this place -- go, you will be happy you did. After you're done, check out Amand's Exotic Market next door -- she's got some great hot sauces and other sub-tropical staples in there.

1  Thank djf212