“Great location, uncomfortable bed”

Radisson Blu Minneapolis Downtown
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson for two nights. The location is great for shopping, restaurants and easy access to other parts of Minneapolis. Friendly and easy check in and check out. The carpet is a bit old, but I have seen worse. The bed was most uncomfortable probably due to being old. The parking is tight and on two nights when we came back the lot was full, so you can not count on having parking even though you have paid for it. We did not eat at the hotel, so I can not comment on the food or service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Last week we did the Hotwire mystery hotel dance and were very disappointed to get the Radisson Plaza in downtown Minneapolis. I am glad to report that we were very wrong in our pre-judgement -- the Radisson provided an excellent stay.

We arrived on a Thursday night and parked in the convenient and well-lit hotel garage. The price was a bit high ($19.00) but we were tired and grumpy and wanted to eat dinner. Once inside we were greeted by friendly desk staff and offered an upgrade to the concierge floor for $25.00. I'm glad we accepted -- because the room was great. I'm sorry to say I've forgotten the man's name (Dedvit?) but he gave us several recommendations for eating out and for checking out the sites around town and the ones we made it to -- were great. We stayed until Sunday morning and during our stay we tried out the hotel restaurant (FireLake Grill) the concierge, and the fitness room — all were excellent. Overall we definitely recommend this hotel. Our biggest complaint -- the lobby concierge desk was barely staffed and when someone was available they had absolutely no clue.

PROS:
- Clean large room and bathroom
- Nice concierge room with a beautiful view of the city
- Good wine and excellent breakfast provided in the concierge room
- Friendly staff
- Quiet air conditioning
- Beautiful Fitness room and bathrooms

CONS:
- Concierge floor concierge -- only open from Monday - Thursday and Friday (morning only)
- Slow to cool air conditioning
- Paper-thin walls
- Dirty grout in the bathroom
- Expensive parking
- First floor concierge -- clueless

Room Tip: Ask for a high city view. The concierge floor is great but is only open Monday through Thursday and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank msmpt
Michelle T, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you both for your recent stay and for taking the time to complete the TripAdvisor review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay as well and the great guest service from our staff!
We have addressed the areas of concern with our team and we are working diligently to fix those areas to ensure a similar situations do not occur again in the future.
We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area, and thank you for your business and loyalty!
Regards,
Michelle Torguson
Director of Operations

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here 3-4 times in recent years, mainly for business. This time was a free weekend based upon the terrible experience I had last time. First, the location is great - within walking distance to all things. The restaurant is also wonderful. The fitness center has been refurbished and is also good. The rest of the hotel experience, the most important in my opinion, is subpar - definitely not deserving of 4 stars.

Before checking in we had spent 3 nights at the Radisson in Bloomington by MOA. That hotel was great so I have faith in the Radisson chain, but this hotel is off the list. The Marriott is right across the road and that will be getting my business going forward even if my conferences continue to be held at the Radisson.

The rooms are dirty and small and at least a few years beyond the point they should have been refurbished. They have FULL sized beds, not queen, in the standard rooms. We dared to look under them and found someone else's clothes and fast food wrappers. The carpets are stained dark from overuse and frayed in spots. The bed sheets and duvet had stains. The pillows were so flat they were useless. The walls and doors are paper thin and you can hear every conversation in the adjacent rooms. If there is a twins or vikings game in town, you will get no sleep due to the drunk and loud guests coming back to the hotel. This hotel has unfortunately become a haven for these types of patrons.

People loyal to Club Carlson, and the Radisson brand, deserve better.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank chipperjones10-half
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed here for a business conference in the hotel. Check-in was smooth and easy; staff very friendly. Room was clean and comfortable, average size. Probably remodeled within last 5 years or so. Bed was quite comfortable. Because this was an interior room, my only view was of the hotel atrium, so little natural light. Room service was efficient and friendly. One nice feature not too many hotels offer anymore - free, reliable internet (wired and wireless) in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for room with exterior view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Clean room, comfortable beds, friendly staff, convenient for shopping, missed having a swimming pool and jacuzzi though. The restaurant food was good only complaint was the lukewarm coffee that was served. The hotel is linked to skywalk system which is very nice. The underground parking was a little scary to maneuver my Suburban in, I never knew if I was going to clear the top of my truck, but it made it. Overall I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Room seems to be clean, staff friendly and with a 24hour access gym, it was really all I needed. I stayed here for a conference that was in the hotel, so the location was convenient. My only complaint was they could be more helpful with guests looking at options for a ride to the airport, my response was simply there are usually cabs on the street. Could have gone the extra mile and offered to help me arrange

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. The service was great and our room was very comfortable and quiet. The work out facility is really nice-- on the top floor with great city views. The hotel is linked with the skywalk so we are anxious to stay there in the winter. The Firelake restaurant served some of the best food that we've had anywhere! Underground parking was convenient. The government employee rate made this quite a value for us!

Room Tip: Our seventh floor room faced the street but we did not hear street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family