“A Top Notch Hotel on Campus”
Review of The Commons Hotel

The Commons Hotel
Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was my second stay at The Commons Hotel and it was even better than the first. The renovations of the hotel are complete and it is stunning! Every detail is a delight! The landscaping is so lovely and welcoming. The lobby decor is really cool! The room decor is beautiful and comprable to any 4+ star hotel in Chicago or NYC. The staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. I dined twice at the Beacon restaurant and found the food to be excellent and interesting. And craft cocktails on a college campus? Yes, please! The restaurant staff was very friendly as well (a special shout out to Bethany, who made my solo lunch so very pleasant). My son will be attending the U this fall and I am really excited to have such a great place to call home when I come to visit him over the next four years. Keep up the excellent work!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MSM93
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for your second stay, and your second review! I am glad you were able to see first hand the work that went into the creation of The Commons Hotel. We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is extremely convenient to the University of Minnesota. There is a Starbucks close by.

That said, I would expect true luxury, given the price ($300/night)...and the rooms seem fairly average. A bit small, but nicely furnished. The lobby area is very nicely decorated.

Construction nearby and the university parking situation makes it ideal to valet the car for $25.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank EmilieCPA

Thank you for staying with us, EmilieCPA! I am glad you enjoyed your time in Minneapolis. The team appreciates the time you took to write this review. When travels return you to Minneapolis, I hope that you will consider us again.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The renovations on this hotel have it looking very modern and nice, but there was debris in the bed sheets and stains on the pillow cases. The service was good, but I just find it difficult to move past cleanliness issues when staying at a hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Kristi D,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. I am so sorry you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Our team takes great pride in the appearance and cleanliness of this building, and I am sad that you did not get to see that during your stay. I hope that you will consider it an isolated incident, and that you will choose our hotel when returning to Minneapolis. I would be happy to personally arrange your stay, so you can experience The Commons Hotel in it's true beauty. Thank you for your business!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was spending 2 days at the hotel for business at the U of M. I understand that the hotel has been refurbished and I hadn't been there before so can't compare what it was like before.
The bed was very comfortable, the room spacious, good pillows, and well laid out bathroom- couldn't fault it. As my meetings were at the University, this was extremely convenient - I could go for a run in the morning, have breakfast and be at the meetings without having to drive or catch transport. I had flown in from Australia and had back to back meetings so it couldn't have been a better match for what I needed. Highly recommended. Service was efficient and pleasant and it seemed well known to taxi's and not too far from town if you needed to go in.
There is a dining room and bar - I had breakfast every morning and it was good food. There are other food outlets nearby as well if you prefer to eat out. Starbucks on the corner as well.

Room Tip: I was travelling with a colleague and she also had a great room on the same floor but around the oth...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am so glad you found our hotel to be comfortable for your international business trip. If your travels return you to Minneapolis again, we would love to have you with us as our guest. Thank you for making us your home while away from home!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stay here for two nights for a business meeting that was also held in the hotel. The hotel excelled in every way. The front desk staff were super helpful and friendly. The room was comfortable, with modern decor and amenities. Really nice shower and comfortable bed with lots of supportive pillows. Hotel was exceptionally quiet. Meeting rooms were also terrific, and the food served at the meeting was fabulous; much better than the typical "rubber chicken" served in such situations. The lobby decor was really unique ... fire pits, lots of places to sit, and even interesting collections of nostalgic sports footage and old books. Hard to describe, but it gave the place an inviting, comfortable feel. Right on the corner of the University of Minnesota. There is a Starbucks and a restaurant on the property, but walk two short blocks and there are a wide variety of restaurants. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Your review is terrific in every way! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the Trip Advisor Community. It means the world to us. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

The moment you enter the lobby of this hotel you are met with a warm decor that is fitting for a university location. The staff was welcoming and met any requests within minutes. The rooms are lovely with a warm, modern decor. The beds are very comfortable and the bathroom large with plenty of space to store personal items. Plenty of parking in the garage connected by an enclosed walkway. My only negative is the bathroom lighting. While soft and inviting, it is horrible for women trying to apply makeup.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review! My team was delighted to read your comments. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed two nights in early June 2013. The LRT construction on Washington makes maneuvering here a bit of a challenge but once in hotel is very nicely appointed and clean. The rooms are redecorated, thought there are still hints of former décor. It was quiet and well located and served my purposes. I prefer these hotels to suburban chains along interstates, even though I usually end up at the latter.

Room Tip: Some lower room overlook the A/C units of roof. The 'step-like' features of outside mean few...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent stay! I am glad you enjoyed our newly transformed hotel. We can't wait for the light rail to be operational as well! We hope to see you back soon. Thanks again for your business.